Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carolina Panthers What will it take for Rivera to Save his Job?

57 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

it needs to be playoffs, but i wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him stay if we get 8 wins. you know...because that's forward progress and all. i just hope that gettleman has higher standards and has the power to do something about it.

Posted · Report post

i just hope that gettleman has higher standards and has the power to do something about it.

You and me both

Posted · Report post

1. Playoffs or bust... i don't think there is a chance he stays if we do not make it in.

2  Better in game management (time management, end of game play calling) that does not negatively affect the game's outcome. (I think Rivera has hit his quota for these in his first 2 seasons... no more excuses)

Posted · Report post

The only other situation where I can see him staying is if we ended up in a Bears situation and finish 10-6 and no playoffs. That would be the bare minimum without playoffs. Anything less, he should be gone...and I've been a Rivera supporter.

The thing is...we are a playoff caliber team. Most of the loses the last couple of years have been close enough to tip towards a win...but have been squandered due to bad decisions both on the field and on the sideline. No more of that. I don't expect us to blow out teams, but those close games have to be wins next year.

Posted · Report post

Setting the bar at playoffs or you're fired isn't well thought out.

We could technically go 15-1 and miss the playoffs. It is possible. Who would call for a coach to be fired if it was a freak scenario of us going 11-5 and not getting in? Not me.

Posted · Report post

Wining season and just missing out on the playoffs. As long as he doesn't make any major game blunders, combined with a 9-10 win season, with improvement in Off, Def and ST, it should see him keep his job. 

Posted · Report post

We could technically go 15-1 and miss the playoffs. It is possible. Who would call for a coach to be fired if it was a freak scenario of us going 11-5 and not getting in? Not me.

It actually would be literally impossible to go 15-1 and miss the playoffs, but I agree with your point other than that.

Posted · Report post

Continue to improve.

Posted · Report post

In my opinion, he has to make the playoffs this year or get to 10 wins.

If he gets to 10 wins, and misses the playoffs, I think he deserves another shot.  The NFC is loaded and a 10 win season may not get you in.  Anything less than 10 wins, and i would relieve him of his duty.

Posted · Report post

I don't think it actually is possible to go 15-1 and miss the playoffs....I get the premise but you might have overreached on the example there.

Posted · Report post

JR makes the call and he kept Hurney for 10 long years. Why does everyone think Ron will be fired if we dont make the playoffs?

Posted · Report post

Must make Playoffs. 

Have to see player development.

Have to clearly see better game management with play-calling and situation decisions.