Photo
- - - - -

What will it take for Rivera to Save his Job?

Carolina Panthers

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#16 Salvo

Salvo

BEWB

• ALL-PRO
  • 908 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:35 PM

The only other situation where I can see him staying is if we ended up in a Bears situation and finish 10-6 and no playoffs. That would be the bare minimum without playoffs. Anything less, he should be gone...and I've been a Rivera supporter.

The thing is...we are a playoff caliber team. Most of the loses the last couple of years have been close enough to tip towards a win...but have been squandered due to bad decisions both on the field and on the sideline. No more of that. I don't expect us to blow out teams, but those close games have to be wins next year.

#17 SooSlow84

SooSlow84

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts
  • LocationYour mother's basement

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:35 PM

Setting the bar at playoffs or you're fired isn't well thought out.

We could technically go 15-1 and miss the playoffs. It is possible. Who would call for a coach to be fired if it was a freak scenario of us going 11-5 and not getting in? Not me.

#18 Ken

Ken

Triple Threat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • Locationnyc

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

Wining season and just missing out on the playoffs. As long as he doesn't make any major game blunders, combined with a 9-10 win season, with improvement in Off, Def and ST, it should see him keep his job. 

#19 Rules&Regulations

Rules&Regulations

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

We could technically go 15-1 and miss the playoffs. It is possible. Who would call for a coach to be fired if it was a freak scenario of us going 11-5 and not getting in? Not me.

It actually would be literally impossible to go 15-1 and miss the playoffs, but I agree with your point other than that.

#20 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,573 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

Continue to improve.

#21 bigdog10

bigdog10

• HUDDLER
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:02 PM

In my opinion, he has to make the playoffs this year or get to 10 wins.

If he gets to 10 wins, and misses the playoffs, I think he deserves another shot.  The NFC is loaded and a 10 win season may not get you in.  Anything less than 10 wins, and i would relieve him of his duty.

#22 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationChina Grove, NC

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:03 PM

I don't think it actually is possible to go 15-1 and miss the playoffs....I get the premise but you might have overreached on the example there.

#23 Shotgun

Shotgun

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:15 PM

JR makes the call and he kept Hurney for 10 long years. Why does everyone think Ron will be fired if we dont make the playoffs?

#24 kman72

kman72

Sports Maniac

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:09 PM

Must make Playoffs. 

Have to see player development.

Have to clearly see better game management with play-calling and situation decisions.  

#25 SooSlow84

SooSlow84

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts
  • LocationYour mother's basement

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:22 PM

I don't think it actually is possible to go 15-1 and miss the playoffs....I get the premise but you might have overreached on the example there.

It actually would be literally impossible to go 15-1 and miss the playoffs, but I agree with your point other than that.

It wasn't the point I was trying to make and I could be wrong, but for argument's sake...

CHI  goes 16-0 clenches division

NYG go 15-1, clench division (split games with DAL)

SF goes 15-1 clenches division

ATL goes 15-1 clenches division

DAL goes 15-1 (split games with NYG but loses tiebreaker)

SEA goes 15-1 (split games with SF but loses tiebreakers)

We finish 15-1 but lose the wildcard spot to tiebreakers

#26 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 14,449 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:31 PM

Playoffs. Though there are a few other things, game day decision making being paramount.

If we start out this season like we did last year, all bets are off. We better come out swinging.

#27 G spot

G spot

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:32 PM

If he shows maturity in close/end of game scenerios.  That mismanagement has to change and I think thats what the one yr deal is all about.  Play calling and proper game management cost us almost every game.

I might be bias but it felt as though we were in all but 2 of our games.  Even those 2 losses were more of an attitude of giving up, imo you could sense it.  

Our special teams and depth have changed for the better and boy what a diff an offseason has made.  Ron is being given the tools to win and im pulling for him.  Last thing i want is more coaching changes, also hoping these guys have success and build a strong coaching staff behind our young squad.

#28 lovelett

lovelett

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Palm Beach, Florida

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

I think a winning season should be enough. It has been a long time.

#29 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,998 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

Winning record.

#30 Creep59

Creep59

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationHatteras Canyon

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:52 PM

Play calling and proper game management cost us almost every game.

Thats pretty difficult to quantify - but undoubtedly  Rivera made some bone headed  game management calls - that either left points on the field or led to points in our opponents column 

Im also rooting for the guy - He is likeable, seems forthright and the players seem to respect him.  On the other hand I want a change in January 2014, if he cant coach and lead us to winning season and playoff berth this year.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com