Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oladipo at #4?

100 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

A few of the newer mock drafts have him going to Orlando at #2

Posted · Report post

Not to ruffle any feathers but the comparisons of Oladipo to MKG are not accurate.

Oladipo's offensive game is about 1000x more advanced than MKG.

Oladipo has good rhythm on his jump shot. He has great elevation on his jumper. Oladipo usually has a great follow through on his jump shot.

He has great upper body strength and body control that helps him finish with ease around the basket.

If he can develop the ability to take and make contested shots off the dribble (which I think he has the ability to do with the elevation he gets on his jumper) he will be incredibly difficult to defend 1 on 1.

The only thing I see that is comparable to MKG is their motors.

Oladipo scores in transition and on catch and shoot jumpers, both of which I think he will do well in the pros.  He cant create his own shot off the dribble though, and expecting him to develop that part of his game once he gets to the NBA is like expecting MKG to develop a good 3 point shot- its rather optimistic.

I like Oladipo, but he doesnt have much upside (he is already a year and a half older than MKG).  Best case scenario I see Andre Iguodala minus the ball-handling

Posted · Report post

Not to ruffle any feathers but the comparisons of Oladipo to MKG are not accurate.

Oladipo's offensive game is about 1000x more advanced than MKG.

Oladipo has good rhythm on his jump shot. He has great elevation on his jumper. Oladipo usually has a great follow through on his jump shot.

He has great upper body strength and body control that helps him finish with ease around the basket.

If he can develop the ability to take and make contested shots off the dribble (which I think he has the ability to do with the elevation he gets on his jumper) he will be incredibly difficult to defend 1 on 1.

The only thing I see that is comparable to MKG is their motors.

You must remember Victor is a JR. Unlike MKG who came out his freshman year. So if MKG stay at UK you might see the same improvement that Victor made from his freshman year.

The points is both player are know for their defense and high motor more then their offense. Having two of those players together doesn't help the offense as much.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

What's Oladipo potential? Superstar or role player?

I say Role Player. Unfortunately I still can't see any of these players turning into Superstars. Too many question marks concerning them. 

1. Noel: Never Superstar but solid Center with some all-star appearances 

2. McLemore: Most Allstar potential or just disappear to become average role player

3. Trey Burke: Lead a good team to the playoffs but wouldn't excel as the best player

4. Bazz: Volume shooter and possible all-star appearances

5. Bennett: I am just not convinced by his game translating

6. Len & Zeller: Great chances at all-star appearances due to lack of quality Centers in the league 

Posted · Report post

He is an awful ball handler but has a lot of scoring ability n defesive stopper.

All these guys have huge holes.. Burke seems to be one of the safer picks but not special.

Posted · Report post

You must remember Victor is a JR. Unlike MKG who came out his freshman year. So if MKG stay at UK you might see the same improvement that Victor made from his freshman year.

The points is both player are know for their defense and high motor more then their offense. Having two of those players together doesn't help the offense as much.

Yes that is possibly true, but there is so much wrong with MKG's jump shot and there so much right about Victor's jump shot fundamentally, that I don't think it is a very good comparison.

Posted · Report post

Yes that is possibly true, but there is so much wrong with MKG's jump shot and there so much right about Victor's jump shot fundamentally, that I don't think it is a very good comparison.

Did you see Victor's shot his freshman year?

It wasn't pretty either.

Posted · Report post

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/5/24/4361016/nba-draft-rumors-victor-oladipo-indiana

Apparently Oladipo is really high on some boards, if drops to four, might get some calls.

With the 2013 NBA Draft still over a month away, one player has already emerged as a personal favorite of general managers around the league: Victor Oladipo.

Oladipo, who was voted to the AP All-America Team last season, has seen his draft stock rise in recent weeks. His vertical leap was measured at 42" and his wingspan was recorded at 6'9.25 at the draft combine. For a player projected to play the off-guard position, those numbers will be awfully difficult for front office members to pass up.

Here is what Chad Ford wrote in a recent chat about Oladipo going as high as No. 2 to Orlando in this summer's draft:

He's a possibility. We have them taking Trey Burke in our Mock primarily based on need. But I'm telling everyone that will listen -- Oladipo is the guy that GMs love in this draft. May be the only one. I've talked to 14 or 15 who tell me he's their favorite player. Almost zero downside and still significant upside. Not sure he's a fit in Cleveland or Washington -- but Orlando and Phoenix both look like strong fits. Burke may be a bigger need, but Oladipo might be the better player long-term.

Posted · Report post

I watch a lot of college basketball. My girlfriend thinks I have a problem. 

With that being said, Oladipo or Bennett needs to be the pick. Bennett is a Canadian and Canadian basketball is getting better by the day, especially in the Toronto area. We just saw the #1 overall HS player (who is Canadian) make three premiere college basketball programs jump through hoops to acquire his services. Bennett is going to excel in the NBA is almost a mirror image (physically) of another former UNLV player that a lot of Charlotte Hornet fans used to love. He's a big kid and will be able to move around with more space in the NBA game and has a solid jumper. 

Oladipo can do everything well and is extremely athletic. He might be the best pure defender in the entire class. He's intelligent and works hard on both ends of the court. He's a guy that can end up being a solid starter and contribute nightly with more than just points. IMHO he's the most well rounded player in the draft.

I really, really hope Burke isn't available when we pick b/c IMHO he's going to be a star in the NBA and has proven in college he is a big time player and wants the ball when it matters most. If he's there, you have to pick him. Which sucks because it's going to put them in a bad situation with Kemba. 

McLemore has the size and skill set to play in the NBA but he didn't show up for some big games last year. He had a great supporting cast last year and one of his team mates will probably end up being drafted in the first round, as well. James Withey is not a name Carolina fans like myself like to hear. Not sold on McLemore but you can't deny his size and talent.

Still - we need size and scoring and Bennett is the pick for me. 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/5/24/4361016/nba-draft-rumors-victor-oladipo-indiana

Apparently Oladipo is really high on some boards, if drops to four, might get some calls.

I really wish I could find the article, but I read a few weeks ago that a former scout or executive said he reminded of him of Jordan in so many ways. 

It made me laugh, and I was a baby when MJ was playing in college but like I said man Victor is a jack of all trades and is more polished than Gilchrist. 

Posted · Report post

I just wish Bennett was one or two inches taller. 6'7 is so small for a PF.

Posted · Report post

I don't like this. we need scoring. Oldapido is a great player, but we really don't need him. I think MKG has more potential