99 replies to this topic

#91 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,988 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:54 AM

Jabari is too small to play the 4 not unless you want to play small ball.

Obviously he's better suited to play the 3, but can play the 4.  College is different, sure, but he'll be the starting 4 at Duke it seems and even play the 5 in some situations ala LBJ with the Olympic team.

As for being a 4 in the NBA, Carmelo and Lebron both see a lot of time at the 4.  Paul Milsap is 6' 8".  Guys like David West are 6' 9" and Jabari could even grow an inch for all we know.  An inch of difference doesn't mean a lot.  Positions as a whole are changing in the league, and stretch 4's are becoming a norm.

#92 Darknight

Darknight

Official Rep Keeper

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • LocationKinston

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:17 AM

Obviously he's better suited to play the 3, but can play the 4.  College is different, sure, but he'll be the starting 4 at Duke it seems and even play the 5 in some situations ala LBJ with the Olympic team.

As for being a 4 in the NBA, Carmelo and Lebron both see a lot of time at the 4.  Paul Milsap is 6' 8".  Guys like David West are 6' 9" and Jabari could even grow an inch for all we know.  An inch of difference doesn't mean a lot.  Positions as a whole are changing in the league, and stretch 4's are becoming a norm.

If Parker plays the 4 in the NBA, he will be abused. All those guys you listed above have the girth and strength to bang down low with the big boys. Parker doesn't have that yet thus me saying he is too small.

#93 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 4,988 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:29 AM

If Parker plays the 4 in the NBA, he will be abused. All those guys you listed above have the girth and strength to bang down low with the big boys. Parker doesn't have that yet thus me saying he is too small.

Obviously, he's just coming out of high school. He's not going to add muscle/strength at Duke?  Or in the NBA?

Depending on where you look, he's listed anywhere from 225-240 right now.  Bigger than Carmelo was at the same period, and roughly the same exact size as LBJ when coming out of high school.  I don't think it's a stretch at all to assume he can add 15-20 lbs of muscle over the next few years, putting him somewhere around 240-250.  LBJ is around 250 right now, David West at 240, Carmelo at 230. Milsap is heavier at 255-ish,  Even guys like KG are 250 (and have a couple inches on him).  Girth/strength won't be a problem when his body matures along the same lines as everyone else. 

#94 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,316 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

Parker won't play the 4 in the NBA. I dont care if hes 6'8 like Millsap. His style of play is different. He does have some post game turnover jumper but he's an outside shooter. He's not built like a PF. Anthony Bennett's style of play is a PF but unfortunately with the height of a SF. Maybe 5-7 years down the road Parker may evolve his game into one like how LBJ and Melo did, but he's going to be strictly a SF/SG in his early pro career. LBJ and Melo's game weren't like this till now. Lets remember their games revolved heavily as outside shooters.

#95 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 4,988 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

Parker won't play the 4 in the NBA. I dont care if hes 6'8 like Millsap. His style of play is different. He does have some post game turnover jumper but he's an outside shooter. He's not built like a PF. Anthony Bennett's style of play is a PF but unfortunately with the height of a SF. Maybe 5-7 years down the road Parker may evolve his game into one like how LBJ and Melo did, but he's going to be strictly a SF/SG in his early pro career. LBJ and Melo's game weren't like this till now. Lets remember their games revolved heavily as outside shooters.

Again, I said he's better suited for the 3.  But CAN play the 4/could down the road when he gets bigger.  

Silly. Not to mention saying LBJ revolved heavily as an outside shooter is just a joke. He shot 35% from 3 once before his 9th season in the league.  He's added that and his mid-range as he's matured.  Slasher, obviously.  Shooter, no. 

I've followed this kid a damn near creepy amount as a Duke fan for years. I may know his game a litttttttle bit.  A nice scouting report on Jabari, since it seems like you know nothing of him outside of some Youtube highlights...

Strengths:
Much has been written and all has been well deserved as he is not only the best small forward in his class but also the best player in the class. His calling card lies in his versatility as he can displays many skills on the floor. When it comes to scoring he hardly ever forces the issue as his instincts and unselfishness are advanced for a young player. Parker can beat defenses from long, and mid range consistently while his dribble drive game is best utilized against like sized defenders or bigger. Simply affects the game in so many positive ways: scoring, passing, rebounding and handling the ball in addition to being very unselfish. Match up nightmare as he goes by taller guys and post up smaller ones. Overall, great feel with an elite basketball IQ.

Weaknesses:
Defending along the arc in terms of chasing shooters off screens and keeping small quicker players out of the lane. Parker can handle the ball very well for his size but must tighten it up his handle when he is under intense ball pressure. Add strength and continue to work on attacking the rim and finishing through contact on a consistent basis. He could also increase his lateral quickness in order to more effectively defend quicker perimeter players.

Bottom Line:
Parker plays with energy and urgency and seems to take the game very serious. It will be fun to follow Parker's progress because he has the tools to be an special player. He is versatile on the offensive end, with the ability to make plays from the wing, low block and high post. Parker has off the charts upside.

He can see time at SG, sure.  But he's more suited as a forward, primarily at the 3, but also could thrive at the 4 after maturing. 

#96 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,316 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:02 PM

Again, I said he's better suited for the 3. But CAN play the 4/could down the road when he gets bigger.

Silly. Not to mention saying LBJ revolved heavily as an outside shooter is just a joke. He shot 35% from 3 once before his 9th season in the league. He's added that and his mid-range as he's matured. Slasher, obviously. Shooter, no.

I've followed this kid a damn near creepy amount as a Duke fan for years. I may know his game a litttttttle bit. A nice scouting report on Jabari, since it seems like you know nothing of him outside of some Youtube highlights...

Strengths:
Much has been written and all has been well deserved as he is not only the best small forward in his class but also the best player in the class. His calling card lies in his versatility as he can displays many skills on the floor. When it comes to scoring he hardly ever forces the issue as his instincts and unselfishness are advanced for a young player. Parker can beat defenses from long, and mid range consistently while his dribble drive game is best utilized against like sized defenders or bigger. Simply affects the game in so many positive ways: scoring, passing, rebounding and handling the ball in addition to being very unselfish. Match up nightmare as he goes by taller guys and post up smaller ones. Overall, great feel with an elite basketball IQ.

Weaknesses:
Defending along the arc in terms of chasing shooters off screens and keeping small quicker players out of the lane. Parker can handle the ball very well for his size but must tighten it up his handle when he is under intense ball pressure. Add strength and continue to work on attacking the rim and finishing through contact on a consistent basis. He could also increase his lateral quickness in order to more effectively defend quicker perimeter players.

Bottom Line:
Parker plays with energy and urgency and seems to take the game very serious. It will be fun to follow Parker's progress because he has the tools to be an special player. He is versatile on the offensive end, with the ability to make plays from the wing, low block and high post. Parker has off the charts upside.

He can see time at SG, sure. But he's more suited as a forward, primarily at the 3, but also could thrive at the 4 after maturing.

Pretty much what I said.

Rebounding? Paul George is a pretty good rebounder. Is he a PF?

#97 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,594 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:04 PM

Again, I said he's better suited for the 3. But CAN play the 4/could down the road when he gets bigger.

Silly. Not to mention saying LBJ revolved heavily as an outside shooter is just a joke. He shot 35% from 3 once before his 9th season in the league. He's added that and his mid-range as he's matured. Slasher, obviously. Shooter, no.

I've followed this kid a damn near creepy amount as a Duke fan for years. I may know his game a litttttttle bit. A nice scouting report on Jabari, since it seems like you know nothing of him outside of some Youtube highlights...

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:

He can see time at SG, sure. But he's more suited as a forward, primarily at the 3, but also could thrive at the 4 after maturing.

If somehow Hairston gets to play this year, I hope Duke plays Parker on him at the three.

I could see UNC taking advantage of Parker being a poor three point defender.

But that's for another thread/discussion/time

#98 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 4,988 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

Lulz, have a good day, chuck.  You're welcome to have the last word, but all I'll say is this.  The case was just made showing he excels against bigger competition, isn't only a shooter, struggles guarding smaller/quicker guys, etc.  Basically, countering everything you said. But hey, play him at the 2.  And Paul George is 220 and an ideal 3.  Again, where I've always said Jabari should/will play.  Having MKG on the roster though, the case can be made that Parker could play the 4. But hey, reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.  

Carolina8789...

I imagine Rasheed (best defender) or Hood (long/athletic) will be on Hairston.  Either way, I imagine he gets his regardless. Jabari probably lines up with McAdoo since not much size (if any) will be given up, not to mention his soft play inside.  On the flip side of that, Jabari being guarded by McAdoo would scare the hell out of me if I were a Carolina fan. 

#99 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,304 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:33 PM

If we draft Oladipo we are going to start winning games with scores like 56-50

Vic can score too.

#100 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,316 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

Lulz, have a good day, chuck.  You're welcome to have the last word, but all I'll say is this.  The case was just made showing he excels against bigger competition, isn't only a shooter, struggles guarding smaller/quicker guys, etc.  Basically, countering everything you said. But hey, play him at the 2.  And Paul George is 220 and an ideal 3.  Again, where I've always said Jabari should/will play.  Having MKG on the roster though, the case can be made that Parker could play the 4. But hey, reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.  

reading comprehension, oh you got joke.

MKG would be better suited at the 4 than Parker actually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users