Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DT Nate Chandler to offensive tackle?

66 posts in this topic

Posted

I think this kid is being setup to fail. he gets move to a new position to compete with guys that having been playing the position all their life. soon as he doesn't get up to speed as fast as they would like they are going to cut him 

i don't buy this at all. he's spent most of his football life playing on the offensive side. if they weren't interested in what he could do, why bother changing positions? they wouldn't.

he'd a more natural fit at OT and has a better chance of sticking with the team doing that. they wouldn't have made a change if they didn't think he could do it and he's already done the job in the past.

if this is being "set up to fail" then his only other choice, tbh, was to fail outright, which is what would have happened considering who his competition is at DT.

he was their emergency back-up anyway. they knew he's capable. that's why they are doing this. to see if he can.

Posted

I think this kid is being setup to fail. he gets move to a new position to compete with guys that having been playing the position all their life. soon as he doesn't get up to speed as fast as they would like they are going to cut him

Our coaching staff would do that instead of outright cutting him and citing the numbers game, which is what will happen to several players over the next few months anyway? Nate could at least take solace in being so special that there was a long con concocted to take him out I guess.

1 person likes this

Posted

Bottom line: they're trying to find a spot for the guy because he is obviously talented.

Posted

Bottom line: they're trying to find a spot for the guy because he is obviously talented.

Kinda makes you wonder if folks read anything posted on here? It was stated that they really like his athleticism. This is an opportunity for him to find a spot on the team.

I doubt he is going to win a starting spot. But if he can grasp the position, he may have a job. Something he wouldn't of had, if he stayed on the Defensive side.

Love these kind of stories. Use your versatility to make yourself indispensable.

Posted

i think 6'6 and 290-300 lbs. he's got room for more bulk from what i can tell.

He is 6'4"  - 300lbs from panthers.com 

He needs to add about 20-30lbs minimum  to play tackle for his size assuming he play RT......could be a good backup and might have agility to be a better against the pass rush.

Posted

I think this kid is being setup to fail. he gets move to a new position to compete with guys that having been playing the position all their life. soon as he doesn't get up to speed as fast as they would like they are going to cut him 

they aren't setting him up to fail....they are giving him a shot to play football.  Same thing happened on Hard Knocks a couple seasons ago.  Numbers essentially meant a guy had no shot outside of gambling and see if he could catch on with the other line.

Posted

they aren't setting him up to fail....they are giving him a shot to play football.  Same thing happened on Hard Knocks a couple seasons ago.  Numbers essentially meant a guy had no shot outside of gambling and see if he could catch on with the other line.

if the panthers just left it at DT he would continue to get better at a position he has been playing since college and maybe play his way on to another team but now the kid is forced to learn a new position and then hope he can get up to speed well enough to play that position at a professional level. the only way this works out well for him is if the panthers are willing to invest a few seasons in him no matter how bad he is early on.

Posted

Yes, this is correct. J.R. Sweezy from NC State played DT all 4 years in college. Never played Offensive Line in his life, but the Seahawks drafted him in the 7th round and moved him to OT. If I'm not mistaken, he actually won the starting job.

I mean it kinda makes sense. If you're good at beating Offensive Lineman, you might be good at not getting beat too.

He was moved to guard. They said he was too stiff to play tackle. He may have been drafted higher if it weren't for his off the field issues. He was one of my college roommates best friends.

Posted

if the panthers just left it at DT he would continue to get better at a position he has been playing since college and maybe play his way on to another team but now the kid is forced to learn a new position and then hope he can get up to speed well enough to play that position at a professional level. the only way this works out well for him is if the panthers are willing to invest a few seasons in him no matter how bad he is early on.

At no point are the Panthers thinking about what's best for Chandler on another team. He is a Panther, and they like the guy, but if he sticks its going to be a position other than DT. Their concern is "what can he do for the Panthers" nothing else

Posted

if the panthers just left it at DT he would continue to get better at a position he has been playing since college and maybe play his way on to another team but now the kid is forced to learn a new position and then hope he can get up to speed well enough to play that position at a professional level. the only way this works out well for him is if the panthers are willing to invest a few seasons in him no matter how bad he is early on.

He played TE and OL for most of his college career...sooo?

Posted

I could see him coming in and playing as an extra Lineman. He could also play TE in a jumbo package...could be a very versatile addition to our offensive line.

Posted

Well there ya go. There's our new starting RT. Problem......solved!