Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

YoungPanthers89

DT Nate Chandler to offensive tackle?

66 posts in this topic

No one is saying this is our answer to the O-line situation, but he does have a better shot at making the O-line since we added 2 drafted DTs and other DT FAs (but not OTs)

Interesting move for sure, but I think he can pull off and make the roster. Not sure about him taking Bell's spot or anything like that though. 

I wouldn't worry about two inches.

none of my girlfriends ever said that. 

1 person likes this

none of my girlfriends ever said that. 

they were being nice.

1 person likes this

Interesting move for sure, but I think he can pull off and make the roster. Not sure about him taking Bell's spot or anything like that though. 

seems to more fit the LT mold, imo.

5. Chandler switches sides: Last year, Nate Chandler came up from the practice squad late in the year to help on the defensive line. On Thursday, he was wearing a blue jersey, which is reserved for offense. With the additions to the defensive line, specifically the interior of the line, Chandler had to move to the other side of the ball. Rivera likes him, and Chandler was actually the team's emergency's offensive lineman last season after having played the position for a spell at UCLA.

per Jonathen Jones' article: http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2013/05/five-impressions-from-panthers-otas.html

1 person likes this

I think this kid is being setup to fail. he gets move to a new position to compete with guys that having been playing the position all their life. soon as he doesn't get up to speed as fast as they would like they are going to cut him 

I think this kid is being setup to fail. he gets move to a new position to compete with guys that having been playing the position all their life. soon as he doesn't get up to speed as fast as they would like they are going to cut him 

He's more than likely an UT than an NT, and we carried 4 DTs last year (2NT, 2UT). Dwan and KK already fill the 2UT, so if the opportunity to be the 2nd UT isn't there, then how is giving him a chance to make the team "setting him up to fail"?

i don't buy this at all. he's spent most of his football life playing on the offensive side. if they weren't interested in what he could do, why bother changing positions? they wouldn't.

he'd a more natural fit at OT and has a better chance of sticking with the team doing that. they wouldn't have made a change if they didn't think he could do it and he's already done the job in the past.

if this is being "set up to fail" then his only other choice, tbh, was to fail outright, which is what would have happened considering who his competition is at DT.

he was their emergency back-up anyway. they knew he's capable. that's why they are doing this. to see if he can.

I think this kid is being setup to fail. he gets move to a new position to compete with guys that having been playing the position all their life. soon as he doesn't get up to speed as fast as they would like they are going to cut him

Our coaching staff would do that instead of outright cutting him and citing the numbers game, which is what will happen to several players over the next few months anyway? Nate could at least take solace in being so special that there was a long con concocted to take him out I guess.

1 person likes this