Photo
- - - - -

Trying to identify with what "ism" I can best connect with....Objectivism/Fascism/Etc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#16 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

Administrators

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

Malaproprism.

And I'm sure cantrell is going to enjoy this topic.

I doubt it.
Friendly debate and conversation isn't his thing.

#17 mav1234

mav1234

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

You may not have a single "ism" that totally matches your world view.  I doubt there is one that matches mine, but I'll check out those online courses and see :)

#18 google larry davis

google larry davis

fleet-footed poster

HUDDLER

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:15 PM

She meant it. Her diaries from that time, while she worked as a receptionist and an extra, lay out the Nietzschean mentality that underpins all her later writings. The newspapers were filled for months with stories about serial killer called William Hickman, who kidnapped a 12-year-old girl called Marion Parker from her junior high school, raped her, and dismembered her body, which he sent mockingly to the police in pieces. Rand wrote great stretches of praise for him, saying he represented "the amazing picture of a man with no regard whatsoever for all that a society holds sacred, and with a consciousness all his own. A man who really stands alone, in action and in soul. … Other people do not exist for him, and he does not see why they should." She called him "a brilliant, unusual, exceptional boy," shimmering with "immense, explicit egotism." Rand had only one regret: "A strong man can eventually trample society under its feet. That boy [Hickman] was not strong enough."

~*~objectivism~*~

#19 google larry davis

google larry davis

fleet-footed poster

HUDDLER

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:30 PM

Rand’s heroic man is also into some pretty coercive sex. Consider this scene, from Rand’s 1943 novel, The Fountainhead:

She tried to tear herself away from him. The effort broke against his arms that had not felt it. Her fists beat against his shoulders, against his face. He moved one hand, took her two wrists and pinned them behind her, under his arm, wrenching her shoulder blades.…She fell back against the dressing table, she stood crouching, her hands clasping the edge behind her, her eyes wide, colorless, shapeless in terror. He was laughing. There was the movement of laughter on his face, but no sound.…Then he approached. He lifted her without effort. She let her teeth sink into his hand and felt blood on the tip of her tongue. He pulled her head back and he forced her mouth open against his.

What's interesting here isn't the writing — leaden, as was Rand's wont — but the reactions of some of the young people who read it and other works by Rand. Hess talks to Angela Huynh, now 24, who read The Fountainhead at 19. She says,

Huynh's concept of "internal agreement" jibes with how many Randians view the scene. Hess writes that Rand herself once said, "If it was rape, it was rape by engraved invitation." And Joshua Zader, founder of objectivist social network and dating site the Atlasphere (which we wrote about in 2008), says:

Yes, there are elements of nonconsensual sex in that scene, but I was aware of Dominique's feelings towards Roark and to me, she internally agreed to it. I guess in the way that a lot of females may enjoy ‘rough' sex and want domination behind closed doors.

Huynh's concept of "internal agreement" jibes with how many Randians view the scene. Hess writes that Rand herself once said, "If it was rape, it was rape by engraved invitation." And Joshua Zader, founder of objectivist social network and dating site the Atlasphere (which we wrote about in 2008), says:

It was a welcomed rape is what it was. It was a rape where both people wanted that sort of contact.…Now, one hopes that not too many people would actually go out and treat a woman that way.

more ~*~objectivism~*~

#20 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

HUDDLER

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:01 PM

I visit the Huddle TBox and am a life long Panther fan

Pessimism

#21 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

HUDDLER

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:08 AM

animism

#22 PhillyB

PhillyB

sườn núi phía đông thứ ba của mặt trời

HUDDLER

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

kurb, i've actually been doing the same thing, sort of. over the past couple of years i've moved into a sort of de-isming phase where i'm essentially starting over from zero and analyzing, without preconception or unwarranted opinion, any worldviews out there and examining them on their individual merits and attempting to see where they stack up. unfortunately this sort of exploration doesn't very well lend itself to wholly adopting an ism, so in regards to theoretical orientation i seem to be quite adrift.

but frankly i prefer it that way, at least for the time being

#23 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

HUDDLER

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

take care of your sphere of influence and that which is in front of you. we will travel to another country to help and many times not do something in our own backyard.

we need more do-ism's.