Hixon excited about fresh start in Carolina

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#31 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,637 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:14 AM

if he picks up 3-400 yards for us over the season it'll have been a great pickup.

So if he is a slightly less productive Legatron? That is success?

#32 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,605 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:22 AM

Another aspect that could limit Hixon's yards is the fact that Cam is learning to lean on the check down. I expect our RBs to have more yards this year. They had almost 600 last year.

If Cam can get his comp% up a notch. There are going to be touches to be had. As long as Hixon stays healthy, he should, and probably will, be an integral piece of the puzzle.

Great point. If he can stay healthy and Cam improves his reads and hits the check down more he will get his opportunities.

#33 mercules20

mercules20

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:01 AM

Just remember this is gettleman's guy. Not Hurney's. Dude couldn't put a legit wide receiver opposite smith for his entire tenure here. (asides from moose, but he didn't draft him.)

#34 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,644 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:57 AM

As the #3 WR....in an offense that will feature the run game ( and te's, Shula has said over and over that the RB's will be features)...more TE with Olsen....plus some read option from Cam....anything more than 400-500 yards would be an amazing year for Hixon.

With the TE and RB looking to play a major role in our passing game, Hixon is more like the 4th to 5th option in the passing game.

He is NOT the #2 WR like Johnson or Moose were when they were brought in.

I would love to see him blue up with a great year stat wise, but I don't expect it nor think he needs if to be a great pick-up.

Just the ability to line up 3-4 wide with actual NFL quality WR's....instead of the likes of AE is already a huge asset.

i think its just a matter of standards. i expect more for him to be considered a great pickup. i would consider a great pickup as him supplanting lafell as the #2 WR target and producer. lafell is good, but i want more and i don't think it's unrealistic. 

the team left a lot of yards and production on the field last year. cleaned up management and performance should net more, wouldn't you think? 

we were less than 200 yards from having 4000 yards through the air and just shy of 2500 rushing yards, and that is with a piss poor offense the first half of the season. based on what they did in 2011 and the last portion of last year i think there's very little reason to believe we couldn't reach nearly 7000 yards in total offense and north of 475 total points.

this has the potential to be a top 5 offense as is and i want it to be reached and i want even more than that. my biggest fear is them being held back. for them to reach that potential we need more from our players, and that includes hixon. i don't want to settle for 4-500 yards from him. we also need better and more aggressive management from the coaches, but that's another discussion.

#35 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,644 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:07 AM

So if he is a slightly less productive Legatron? That is success?

the curse of low standards and expectations. 

#36 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,403 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

He should have around 500.

There are only so many yards to be distributed. I really do not care how many individual yards each player gets. I just want a balanced offense, and wins. If the coaches do their job neither of those should be an issue.

As for supplanting Lafell, seriously?

#37 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,424 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

I'm hoping Hixon can be that "clutch" receiver Carolina has been missing since Ricky Proehl hung up his cleats.  Proehl never put up huge numbers but he was always in the right place at the right time.  With Smith and Olsen getting the most attention, a guy like Hixon should have a lot of favorable matchups.  

#38 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• HUDDLER
  • 4,426 posts
  • LocationRadford University

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:02 PM

Weve had alot of favorable matchups last year on offense, but did we utilize them all? Not really

#39 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,637 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

I'm hoping Hixon can be that "clutch" receiver Carolina has been missing since Ricky Proehl hung up his cleats. Proehl never put up huge numbers but he was always in the right place at the right time. With Smith and Olsen getting the most attention, a guy like Hixon should have a lot of favorable matchups.

We don't have the threats that surrounded Ricky Prohel..

#40 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,644 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:37 PM

He should have around 500.

There are only so many yards to be distributed. I really do not care how many individual yards each player gets. I just want a balanced offense, and wins. If the coaches do their job neither of those should be an issue.

As for supplanting Lafell, seriously?

why not? crap, i want smitty supplanted, don't you? don't you want this team to be better?

i want every position to be upgraded upgraded if possible. i want this team to have the best players possible. i don't care who is wearing the panthers jersey as long as they can win it all.

#41 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,403 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:01 PM

why not? crap, i want smitty supplanted, don't you? don't you want this team to be better?

i want every position to be upgraded upgraded if possible. i want this team to have the best players possible. i don't care who is wearing the panthers jersey as long as they can win it all.

I don't get this fantasy that we were going to find a WR in this draft or afford a WR in free agency who could have unseated Lafell, let alone Steve. You really think Smitty will just be replaced and smile? Not while he's on the roster..

#42 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,637 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

I don't get this fantasy that we were going to find a WR in this draft or afford a WR in free agency who could have unseated Lafell, let alone Steve. You really think Smitty will just be replaced and smile? Not while he's on the roster..

Steve Smith had 1 TD through 11 games last year. He has had double digits once in his cares and that was 8 years ago.

People are so focused with him being replace with a clone of himself. I think the current version of Smith can be replaced. Hell, he wasn't affordable but Mike Wallace IMO gets into the endzone more than Smith in this offense with Cam.

#43 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,403 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

Steve Smith had 1 TD through 11 games last year. He has had double digits once in his cares and that was 8 years ago.

People are so focused with him being replace with a clone of himself. I think the current version of Smith can be replaced. Hell, he wasn't affordable but Mike Wallace IMO gets into the endzone more than Smith in this offense with Cam.

No the fug you didn't just type that. The guy had just under 1200 yards receiving and 4 TD's.

Imagine if our offense hadn't been a shell of itself the first half of the season.

Calvin Johnson ended the season with only 5 TD's last year. I guess he's lost a step too?

Please redeem yourself after that horrible post. You disappoint me.

#44 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,637 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

No the fug you didn't just type that. The guy had just under 1200 yards receiving.

Imagine if our offense hadn't been a shell of itself the first half of the season.

Calvin Johnson ended the season with only 5 TD's last year. I guess he's lost a step too?

Please redeem yourself after that horrible post. You disappoint me.

Again, people are too focused thinking Smith needs to be replaced with a WR like Smith.

Smith is a yardage guy....not a TD guy. Always has leaned that way.

Yes....Steve Smith can be replaced. He needs to be...HE HIMSELF has talked about moving and that was years ago. Need a vertical threat and someone that gets in the endzone. Smitty can have a place in any offense...but he ain't King Kong no more.

...and in the last 5 years Megatron has posted 16, 12, and 12 TD seasons. Double digit on 3 of his last 5. Smitty's high over the last half decade is 7. Two different beasts....not sure why you would even bring Johnson into this

#45 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,403 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

Again, people are too focused thinking Smith needs to be replaced with a WR like Smith.

Smith is a yardage guy....not a TD guy. Always has leaned that way.

Yes....Steve Smith can be replaced. He needs to be...HE HIMSELF has talked about moving and that was years ago. Need a vertical threat and someone that gets in the endzone. Smitty can have a place in any offense...but he ain't King Kong no more.

Yardage guy, endzone guy. Doesn't matter, a threat is a threat.

With the current backfield weapons we have combined with Cam. There's no reason we can't punch in a TD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com