Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gerald Henderson Brings Back The Buzz

17 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Look...I like hendo...and he for sure played well the last 2 months of the season...but what about the other 3 years? As a season ticket holder I have gotten to see him struggle and disappear completely in games and be clearly overmatched against his opponents. I think he would be a 6th man of the year candidate off the bench...but at the position he plays...I think we need to aim higher.

5 or 6 million a year and I'm probably in. But anything more than that and we overpaid. Remember he was on the trade block in February for a bag of peanuts and we didn't get any bites.

Posted · Report post

Look...I like hendo...and he for sure played well the last 2 months of the season...but what about the other 3 years? As a season ticket holder I have gotten to see him struggle and disappear completely in games and be clearly overmatched against his opponents. I think he would be a 6th man of the year candidate off the bench...but at the position he plays...I think we need to aim higher.

5 or 6 million a year and I'm probably in. But anything more than that and we overpaid. Remember he was on the trade block in February for a bag of peanuts and we didn't get any bites.

I'd like to preface this post by saying that I'm a UNC fan and hated Henderson at Duke, but I'm a big fan his now.

So let's get this started...

What do you mean the other three years? He average 15.1 points per game in 2011-12 (his first year as a starter) season. If you remember in 2009-10 Henderson didn't play because of Stephen Jackson and Raja Bell being the go to guys, Henderson only average 8 minutes per game as a rookie. In 2010-11, Jackson was still on the team and Henderson had to play second fiddle averaging 9.6 points in 24 minutes. I'd also like to point out that these past two years Henderson has only averaged around 32 minutes per game... Now when Henderson plays over 35 minutes a game. he is almost guaranteed to scored 20+ points and in three games this year he scored 34 points or more.

The problem with Bobcats/Hornets fans is the fact that they are comparing Henderson to Kobe, Harden, Wade etc...

The fact is that Henderson was 10th in points per game for shooting guards in 2011-12 and 11th in points per game for shooting guards in 2012-13. Essentially we have a top 10 shooting guard and people want to get rid of him... why?

Let's check to see if Henderson actually gets overmatched...

Vs. Joe Johnson 4/6 (Henderson: 22 points, 3 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals; Johnson: 15 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals)

Vs. J.R. Smith 3/29 (Henderson: 35 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals; Smith: 37 points, 1 rebound, 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 block)

Vs. DeMar DeRozan 3/20 (Henderson: 21 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists, 1 steal, 1 block; DeRozan: 19 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists)

Vs. DeMar DeRozan 3/15 (Henderson: 22 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals; DeRozan: 9 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal)

Vs. Thabo Sefalosha 3/8 (Henderson: 21 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists; Sefalosha: 13 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block)

Vs. Aaron Afflalo 2/19 (Henderson: 24 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assists; Afflalo: 18 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 block)

Vs. Kobe Bryant 2/8 (Henderson: 20 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals, 1 block; Bryant: 20 points, 7 rebounds, 8 assists, 1 block)

Vs. Stephen Curry 12/21 (Henderson: 23 points, 4 rebounds, 5 assists, 1 block; Curry: 27 points, 3 rebounds, 8 assists, 2 blocks)

On paper he might be over-matched, but when it comes to effort; no one outworks Hendo.

Posted · Report post

we can keep him around as a "6th man" type

Posted · Report post

we can keep him around as a "6th man" type

Posted · Report post

Henderson's a really good player that I hope we can keep. He has paired well with Kemba so far. The issue going forwards is whether or not he's good enough to start if we aim to be a contender, but even if he's not he would be an excellent 6th man.

It does come down to price, but if it's fair then the team should get a deal done. It would also help with Oladipo and even McLemore's development by having another SG take some of the weight off them. It gives the coaches the chance to work on the rookie's game, and when they are ready they can start and Hendo drops to sixth man duty.

The issue with Hendo as a sixth man is that there are teams in the league that he can start with. So would he sign on or want to stay as a sixth man when he can start?