Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hornets (feels good to say that) hire Steve Clifford as coach

82 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Rick Bonnell ‏@rick_bonnell

Jeff Van Gundy on Steve Clifford: "This guy has It. When he gets his opportunity, he'll knock it out of the park."

More JVG: "Steve Clifford is a no-brainer, just like (Tom Thibodeau) was."

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

High praise from Van Gundy and landing Ewing would be huge.  Hopefully it works out.

Posted · Report post

If anyone knows Clifford, it's JVG and SVG; those guys go way back.

Posted · Report post

Link: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ken-berger/22311894/bobcats-agree-in-principle-with-steve-clifford-as-new-coach

Just a little background on the hiring...

-The deal is a three year deal just under 6 million dollars with the third year being a team option

- Was as assistant for Jeff Van Gundy in Houston, Stan Van Gundy in Orlando, Mike Brown/Mike D'Antoni in Los Angeles.

- Worked with Patrick Ewing in Orlando.

Posted · Report post

Ridiculously close relationship with Dwight Howard. I know we're not in on him as a free agent, but if it's money, anonymity, and a coach that gets him then he would have it here. Just a thought.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

The legend himself Bernie Bickerstaff was a Lakers assistant and D'Antoni decided not to keep him (huge mistake IMO).  I wonder if he would be interested in being an assistant for his old team.  

I wasn't thrilled with the Dunlap hiring, but I kinda thought firing after one year was a little lame, but hiring a guy with actual NBA experience seems like a good decision.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Ridiculously close relationship with Dwight Howard. I know we're not in on him as a free agent, but if it's money, anonymity, and a coach that gets him then he would have it here. Just a thought.

I would be lying if I said the thought didn't cross my mind but I just can't see us in that race.

But just for giggles and daydreaming imagine a defense with Clifford at coach, Kemba, Oladipo, MKG, Biz, and Howard.

Sure we may not ever score more than 80 points but neither would our opponents. Lol

Posted · Report post

I was actually thinking the same thing...

If it comes down to money and comfort, he'll end up in Charlotte. If it's all about winning, he'll be in Houston or Dallas. 

Posted · Report post

JVG with a nice little shout out to Clifford during the Memphis/San Antonio game.

Posted · Report post

Saves the embarrassment of a Snyder hire. Seems like solid hire, lots of experience in the NBA.

Posted · Report post

I like it. Now when can we start dropping wasted cash off the books? Has that already happened? I wonder if Clifford can help us in the FA market?