Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hornets (feels good to say that) hire Steve Clifford as coach

82 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Clifford is friends with Howard... Clifford is bringing in Ewing... Ewing is also good friends with Howard...

I'm trying not to connect the dots but come on now...

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Do not want Howard.  Great defender, and athlete, but egotistical and immature.  Not something needed with a bunch of young guns

Posted · Report post

For quick reference:

http://www.nba.com/coachfile/steve_clifford/index.html

College - Maine-Farmington
Steve Clifford joins the Lakers for his first season after spending the past five seasons (2007-12) as an assistant coach for the Orlando Magic. Over five seasons on Stan Van Gundy’s staff, Clifford helped the Magic to a 259-135 (.657) record, highlighted by a trip to the 2009 NBA Finals.

Prior to his time in Orlando, Clifford spent four seasons as an assistant coach with the Houston Rockets (2003-07) after working with the New York Knicks for three seasons, two as an assistant coach (2001-03) and one as an advance scout (2000-01).

Entering the NBA with more than a decade of college coaching experience, Clifford served as an assistant coach at East Carolina University for one season following four years as head coach at Adelphi University, where he compiled a record of 86-36 (.705). Leading Adelphi to four straight 20-win seasons, he became the first coach in school history to record consecutive 20- plus win campaigns while guiding the Panthers to four appearances in the NCAA Division II Tournament.

After gaining his first coaching experience over two seasons at Woodland High School in Maine, Clifford began his college coaching career as an assistant at St. Anselm’s College in New Hampshire for four seasons. Following his time with the Hawks, he served one season as an assistant at Fairfield University, spent the next four seasons at Boston University and one season after that at Siena College before accepting the head coaching position at Adelphi.

Following a four-year playing career at the University of Maine at Farmington, Clifford, named Best Defensive Player in his final two seasons while serving as team captain, graduated with a degree in special education.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

I was actually thinking the same thing...

If it comes down to money and comfort, he'll end up in Charlotte. If it's all about winning, he'll be in Houston or Dallas.

Professional sports are all about money and who you know. Not likely, but I wouldn't be shocked. I also think that MJ owning the team may start to play a bigger role in attracting free agents. It seems like he's been an absentee owner up to this point, but has been listening to the criticism and is taking a more active role.

Posted · Report post

Do not want Howard. Great defender, and athlete, but egotistical and immature. Not something needed with a bunch of young guns

All true, but still do want.
3 people like this

Posted · Report post

Do not want Howard.  Great defender, and athlete, but egotistical and immature.  Not something needed with a bunch of young guns

He wasn't always like that, he was one of the best players in the NBA when he was in Orlando and him and SVG weren't clashing.

Posted · Report post

He wasn't always like that, he was one of the best players in the NBA when he was in Orlando and him and SVG weren't clashing.

Yea, agree. Howard started being immature his last year with Orlando. That was the only way he could get out. Its still hard to see that he picks us but money talk.

Posted · Report post

Clifford is obviously a players coach...

Looks like J.J. wants to come to Charlotte

JJ Redick: Huge congrats to Steve Clifford on getting the Charlotte head coaching job! Enjoyed working with him for 5 yrs in Orlando. Great hire. Twitter @JJRedick

Quentin Richardson might want to come to Charlotte too

Quentin Richardson: Congrats to Coach Steve Clifford on getting hired as Head Coach of the Charlotte Bobcats!Twitter @QRich

John Ireland is an L.A. sportscaster

John Ireland: Congrats to Lakers assistant Steve Clifford--new head coach in Charlotte. 1 of the rare guys in sports who everybody likes. Well deserved. Twitter @LAIreland

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

In the shotgun research I have done on this guy I have learned he is going to coach from the defensive side out and he is going to demand toughness from everyone, but especially our bigs.

I think I like this hire.  Hard to tell with assistants, but I would like to see us play more of our offense from the post, and to be tougher physically inside on both sides of the ball.

Posted · Report post

As much as I'd like to think of how awesome that would be when omitting the personality factor with Howard, I can't...  Dude is a train wreck, and I'd prefer not to blow all of our cap room on a guy that isn't sure he's a franchise player himself and defers both blame and responsibility on others constantly.

The thing about Howard is that he was fine in Orlando. He's not the first guy to lose his mind in a market too big for his personality. I am not a defender of his, but a move back to a small market may be exactly what the doctor ordered for him getting his focus back on basketball and away from the circus in LA. He was a professional on and off the court in Orlando until it went bad and he played there a long time. I'm sure that Charlotte will sniff out the options there, but I don't expect him to realistically consider playing here. It would be pretty obvious that he wanted to run away from pressure.

Posted · Report post

So this is good right?

Posted · Report post

Love the NBA resume and references that have come along with the Clifford hire so far. 

2000–2001 New York Knicks (advance scout) 2001–2003 New York Knicks (assistant) 2003–2007 Houston Rockets (assistant) 2007–2012 Orlando Magic (assistant) 2012–2013 Los Angeles Lakers (assistant) 2013–present Charlotte Bobcats

Clifford has paid his dues (in the NBA) and seems to have been liked and well-respected at each place he coached (by both players and coaches).  He has a similar style of Tom Thibideau in emphasizing defense, hustle, and good fundamental basketball.  Most importantly, this is a guy that has been coveted by other teams currently searching for a head coach.  Clifford was a finalist for the Blazers coaching gig last season and has interviewed with the Suns and was scheduled to have his 2nd interview the the Bucks today before we inked him last night.

Whether Clifford is the right man for the job here is yet to be seen, but I think the pressure has now shifted to our front office in order to bring in some talent and allow a coach to actually have a few years to implement his system and culture to our organization instead of continuing the revolving door of coaches we have seen in previous seasons. 

How the Hornets spend there cap space in this coming offseason alone is going to forge our identity for the next 4-5 seasons as Cho has finally created the flexibility with our cap to go in multiple directions.  With the name change, cap room, multiple picks in the next 3 drafts, and our new hire of Clifford, I think the Hornets are going to continue to improve and become a perennial playoff team.   

4 people like this