• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#46 Vagrant

Vagrant

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:18 AM

As much as I'd like to think of how awesome that would be when omitting the personality factor with Howard, I can't...  Dude is a train wreck, and I'd prefer not to blow all of our cap room on a guy that isn't sure he's a franchise player himself and defers both blame and responsibility on others constantly.

The thing about Howard is that he was fine in Orlando. He's not the first guy to lose his mind in a market too big for his personality. I am not a defender of his, but a move back to a small market may be exactly what the doctor ordered for him getting his focus back on basketball and away from the circus in LA. He was a professional on and off the court in Orlando until it went bad and he played there a long time. I'm sure that Charlotte will sniff out the options there, but I don't expect him to realistically consider playing here. It would be pretty obvious that he wanted to run away from pressure.

#47 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,545 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:27 AM

So this is good right?

#48 OchoNueve

OchoNueve

for those of you that don't habla espanol...

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:57 AM

Love the NBA resume and references that have come along with the Clifford hire so far. 

2000–2001 New York Knicks (advance scout) 2001–2003 New York Knicks (assistant) 2003–2007 Houston Rockets (assistant) 2007–2012 Orlando Magic (assistant) 2012–2013 Los Angeles Lakers (assistant) 2013–present Charlotte Bobcats

Clifford has paid his dues (in the NBA) and seems to have been liked and well-respected at each place he coached (by both players and coaches).  He has a similar style of Tom Thibideau in emphasizing defense, hustle, and good fundamental basketball.  Most importantly, this is a guy that has been coveted by other teams currently searching for a head coach.  Clifford was a finalist for the Blazers coaching gig last season and has interviewed with the Suns and was scheduled to have his 2nd interview the the Bucks today before we inked him last night.

Whether Clifford is the right man for the job here is yet to be seen, but I think the pressure has now shifted to our front office in order to bring in some talent and allow a coach to actually have a few years to implement his system and culture to our organization instead of continuing the revolving door of coaches we have seen in previous seasons. 

How the Hornets spend there cap space in this coming offseason alone is going to forge our identity for the next 4-5 seasons as Cho has finally created the flexibility with our cap to go in multiple directions.  With the name change, cap room, multiple picks in the next 3 drafts, and our new hire of Clifford, I think the Hornets are going to continue to improve and become a perennial playoff team.   

#49 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 15,953 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

Another vote of confidence:

Hidayet Turkoglu: Congrats to Steve Clifford on becoming head coach for Charlotte! Hard working guy, well deserved. Twitter @hidoturkoglu15

Man, this is A LOT different than the Dunlap hire, where most tweets were like, "who the F is this guy?"

#50 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:31 AM

This is a solid hire. Young, eager, capable, and been with winning programs.

Name recognition isn't everything. Pat Riley started out as an announcer. Everyone starts somewhere.

#51 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:49 AM

Any of you guys who think the Hornets are going to have a legitimate shot to sign Howard need to step back and take few deep breaths. Never going to happen. Why would it happen? 

#52 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

Another vote of confidence:

Hidayet Turkoglu: Congrats to Steve Clifford on becoming head coach for Charlotte! Hard working guy, well deserved. Twitter @hidoturkoglu15

Man, this is A LOT different than the Dunlap hire, where most tweets were like, "who the F is this guy?"

Yeah, I've at least heard of him. I watch much more college hoops than NBA, and I had never heard of Mike Dunlap. It looked like a desperation reach at the time and it looks like that's exactly what it was. The only person I recall who gave a good endorsement of Dunlap was George Karl. 

So it certainly looks like this has potential to be a good hire. They've got to get someone in here that can change the losing culture and get rid of the players on this team that care more about their bank account than winning %. 

#53 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:08 PM

Any of you guys who think the Hornets are going to have a legitimate shot to sign Howard need to step back and take few deep breaths. Never going to happen. Why would it happen? 

I doubt it happens, but, I wouldn't completely rule it out.  Howard obviously doesn't do well in large market areas, he's tried it, and his image has taken a beating, from the moment he started talking about his contract in Orlando to his tenure in LA.  He flouished in Orlando though, and was popular in the league and to my knowledge, wasn't whining or having issues.  It's possible he wants to go back to a smaller market team where the spotlight isn't so bright on him.  Not to mention bringing in those coaches that are closest to him.  We can also pay more than anyone minus Lakers I believe (extra year).

CP3 could come with him too, since they seem to want to play together and CP3 is from NC and also, the possible Jordan connection.

Obviously, I don't expect this to happen, at all, but there IS some signs, maybe they mean nothing, maybe they do.  But I know that if you bring even one of these guys in, seats WILL sell, merch WILL sale, and I have faith we can start selling out nights again in CLT.

#54 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

I doubt it happens, but, I wouldn't completely rule it out.  Howard obviously doesn't do well in large market areas, he's tried it, and his image has taken a beating, from the moment he started talking about his contract in Orlando to his tenure in LA.  He flouished in Orlando though, and was popular in the league and to my knowledge, wasn't whining or having issues.  It's possible he wants to go back to a smaller market team where the spotlight isn't so bright on him.  Not to mention bringing in those coaches that are closest to him.  We can also pay more than anyone minus Lakers I believe (extra year).

CP3 could come with him too, since they seem to want to play together and CP3 is from NC and also, the possible Jordan connection.

Obviously, I don't expect this to happen, at all, but there IS some signs, maybe they mean nothing, maybe they do.  But I know that if you bring even one of these guys in, seats WILL sell, merch WILL sale, and I have faith we can start selling out nights again in CLT.

Chris Paul is going to be one of those players that will ALWAYS be rumored as a potential Hornets FA target/landing spot. Doubt it ever happens. Maybe in like 10-12 years when he is about to retire and comes here for one season. Howard is not going to sign here, either. Why would he? He is in the prime of his career and I doubt he would want to waste his good years being a babysitter to an awful team that is a still 2-3 years away from seriously competing for the 7/8 playoff spot. I'd be willing to bet both of those players resign with their current teams. I could see Howard leaving but my money is on him resigning with the Lakers. 

I love your optimism bro, and I am much more excited about the franchise with the Hornets name coming back to where it belongs, too. I also know Higgins said they are going spend money this off season and sign a max level contract player. He said that in a very sneaky, almost deceitful way. What he really meant is he is going to sign a player to a max level offer/contract, which also means they are going to sign a mid level/up and coming player to a max contract. Not an elite player like Paul or Howard to a max level contract. 

#55 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

Oh I don't see it happening, but there are more signs than just speculation, but yeah, doubt it happens.  But if both came here, we would instantly be playoff contendors, and I think even with the pieces we already have, we could make some noise, especially in the east.  But yeah, they'll probably stick around where they are, it's all fun to speculate though.

More realistically we can grab a big or two (Jefferson, Millsap, Hickson, etc) and pay fairly and have a respectable team.  Some people would rather tank though, but from how "lucky" we are with the lottery, I'm not completely a fan, it's not always guarenteed.

#56 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,622 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

I think the people here that are saying Howard isn't a possibility are under estimating how much Howard hates being in LA or big cities, as well as how much he actually respects Clifford. 

Clifford not coming back to LA, greatly lowers the chance of Howard resigning with the Lakers. 

#57 Third Degree

Third Degree

Socks are for your feet, silly

• HUDDLER
  • 4,958 posts
  • Location704

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:00 PM

The Lakers not winning greatly lowers the chance of Howard resigning with the Lakers.

#58 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:05 PM

I want a star to realize they can go to a team like this and become legendary and forever the face of the franchise.  I know it may not be as big of endorsements, etc, but Cam seems to be doing pretty well in that regard playing in the QC.   I mean, my God, people still bring up LJ and Zo from the 90's as if they won multiple titles, just imagine if Howard, or CP3, or both came here?  They'd probably get statues lol. 

#59 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,303 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:51 PM

ok so why are we hearing this from "sources"  Cant they call a press conference like normal teams. Hype him up, something. anything.

#60 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 15,953 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

More Clifford love...  CANNNN YOUUUUUU DIGGGGGGG ITTTTTTT???

Rick Bonnell: Tom Thibodeau texted Stan Van Gundy "This is a great day for all of us" regarding Bobcats hiring Steve Clifford. Twitter @rick_bonnell

Marcin Gortat: Congrats to steve clifford !!!! great guy and even a better coach. ! Bobcats gonna look strong this year! Twitter @MGortat

Thibs getting in on it and that is certainly an impressive quote from Gortat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users