Photo
- - - - -

Hornets (Bobcats) Interested In DeMarcus Cousins

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#91 OchoNueve

OchoNueve

for those of you that don't habla espanol...

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:24 AM

Chandler was never 100 percent healthy while he was here.

True.  But i don't believe the Bobcats ever intended on resigning him.  We acquired him after we had just resigned Okafor to a long term deal the year before, and then the front office wanted to change directions so getting Chandler from the Hornets in exchange for Emeka gave us an expiring contract.  If we didn't make that trade Okafor would still be on our books for 14.5 million next season and we wouldn't have as much flexibility in free agency...

#92 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

I'm pretty sure I was at one of our playoff games and it was bumpin.  The NFL and NBA are two different monsters when it comes to attendance.  One winning season in the NFL and people come out of the wood work towards the end of the year.   What the Bobcats needed to do was put together back to back decent seasons.  When they blew the roster up after the playoffs they pretty much erased a lot of the gains they made as far as attendance numbers go.

Keeping Felton and Chandler would have meant paying the luxury tax.  So you think the team should have risked ~$25 million or so, ruined the team's future cap situation (and any roster flexibility), gambling that a 7/8 seed would bring the fans out in droves.

And now you would be left with a lineup of Felton (28), Jackson (35), Wallace (30), Diaw (31), and Chandler (30).  That is not even close to a playoff team right now, so you would have a very expensive team that is not competitive, plus no cap space and no young players to build around (Henderson would be there, Kemba and MKG would not)

I'm glad you arent the GM

#93 ZB1224

ZB1224

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • LocationWinston Salem

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:54 AM

I get that people are just sick of the losing, but rebuilding when we did absolutely was the right decision and we should have rebuilt before that. As you mention, "thatlookseasy", that Bobcats team of Felton, Jackson, Wallace, Diaw, and Chandler wasn't going anywhere. We currently sit in a much better position with our young, but developing team of Kemba, Hendo, MKG, McRoberts, Biz. To be honestly I could see us making a big jump in wins next season if we get an all-star caliber PF and our young guys develop a lot. Obviously I'd rather be awful again and get a franchise player in the 2014 draft, but I could see us drafting outside of the top 5. 

#94 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• HUDDLER
  • 11,335 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

I get that people are just sick of the losing, but rebuilding when we did absolutely was the right decision and we should have rebuilt before that. As you mention, "thatlookseasy", that Bobcats team of Felton, Jackson, Wallace, Diaw, and Chandler wasn't going anywhere. We currently sit in a much better position with our young, but developing team of Kemba, Hendo, MKG, McRoberts, Biz. To be honestly I could see us making a big jump in wins next season if we get an all-star caliber PF and our young guys develop a lot. Obviously I'd rather be awful again and get a franchise player in the 2014 draft, but I could see us drafting outside of the top 5. 

If the pick is out of the top 10 in 2014, it would go to the Bulls via the Tyrus Thomas trade. That's why it's a must that the Bobcats absolutely suck this year. They can't give up a pick in the top heaviest draft in years for TNT.

#95 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,448 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

Doesn't look like Malone wants to trade him, which is probably in his (the Kings) best interest. He's too good of a player to get rid of when he has his head on straight.

#96 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:23 PM

Keeping Felton and Chandler would have meant paying the luxury tax.  So you think the team should have risked ~$25 million or so, ruined the team's future cap situation (and any roster flexibility), gambling that a 7/8 seed would bring the fans out in droves.

And now you would be left with a lineup of Felton (28), Jackson (35), Wallace (30), Diaw (31), and Chandler (30).  That is not even close to a playoff team right now, so you would have a very expensive team that is not competitive, plus no cap space and no young players to build around (Henderson would be there, Kemba and MKG would not)

I'm glad you arent the GM

I said in a previous post that letting Felton walk was a good idea.  It's Chandler that we've should have tried to keep.  

#97 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:27 AM

I said in a previous post that letting Felton walk was a good idea.  It's Chandler that we've should have tried to keep.  

Thats fine, but keeping Chandler for the last year of his contract would mean paying the luxury tax unless someone else was moved, then you would have to deal with the big contract he demanded in free agency when he left Dallas and signed with the Knicks. 

And its not like his injury problems have gone away

#98 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:55 AM

Thats fine, but keeping Chandler for the last year of his contract would mean paying the luxury tax unless someone else was moved, then you would have to deal with the big contract he demanded in free agency when he left Dallas and signed with the Knicks. 

And its not like his injury problems have gone away

I'd take him right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users