Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Offense or Defense? Which will be ranked higher after the season?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Poll: Lay your pie on the table... (112 member(s) have cast votes)

Which side of the ball will be better this season?

1. Offense (30 votes [26.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.79%

2. Defense (82 votes [73.21%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 73.21%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,356 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

People are throwing around a lot of opinions in reference to Shula, Cam, Chico, Derm and Keek (Clark Kent in a near 100 percent angelic terms).  Depending on who you listen to, from extreme perspectives, you'd think that there are holes on both sides of the ball that should make all of us think like this:

It's difficult to gauge, but I'm erring on the side of optimism because I see enough pieces on both sides of the ball---err all sides of the ball, even special teams with the additions acquired through free agency and the draft---to give us a realistic shot at the postseason party in 2014, notwithstanding a tough schedule.  I mean, yeah we are perhaps missing that playmaker at wide-out that would go a long way towards balancing the offense; and, we may not have the depth on the O-line that we would like to see; and lastly, our defensive backfield may be full of question marks filled with some potential; but, the playoffs aren't out of the scope of reality.

Statistically we weren't horrible overall with our offense and defense ranking 12th and 10th, respectively. But, in real terms, we blew a lot of games both offensively and defensively last season.  Of course I would be remiss to neglect to mention that Rivera, Chud and company were arguably at the middle of multiple losses.  But, being that Chud is gone and a more conservative and fundamental Shula is taking the helm at the offensive side of the rock, and Derm and an underappreciated defensive mind in Chico have some serious toys to play with on the defensive side of the rock, which unit will rank higher by the end of the season? Which one will make up more ground? 

Oh, yeah, does anyone think that either unit will retrogress (even ST)?

#2 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,540 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

i think we end up a top 5 defense by the time it's said and done. a top ten offense would complement this nicely.

#3 Rules&Regulations

Rules&Regulations

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

Offense. With the subtraction of chud should be much better.

#4 mbarbour21

mbarbour21

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

Tie in top 10

#5 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,686 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

Both will be number 1 obviously.

#6 PantherFeez

PantherFeez

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:20 PM

Defense for me. The secondary, even though it wasn't a strength, we've added competition to it and hopefully from that we can shake out a manageable back 4. The front 4 did nothing but gain talent.. same goes for the linebackers (that pantry is well stocked). 

Offensively we gained unknowns. Kug by all means isn't a sure thing (I am hoping for the best), the o-line might struggle again, rb's I feel better about, and Cam seems to be a bit more mature, but a big hole that I think is going unnoticed is the TE depth. Between Williams and Rosario we might find our answer.. but overall there are more unknowns surrounding the offense for me

#7 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 4,532 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

The Offense. 

If the defense is as good as some of us want to believe, then this team will be a playoff team. 

Remember, the offense was top, upper ranked two years in a row. However, the defense was horrible one year, and better/top 10 the next year. So the offense has shown more consistency, less fluctuation.

Many of us are basing the defense off the last half of the season , and conveniently forgetting the season before. I hope they will both be top 10, with the offense being top 5. 

We'll see?

#8 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,517 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:27 PM

I think the offense makes the move into the top 5. Defense will be top 10 again, but more consistent and able to hold leads. 

#9 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,458 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:34 PM

Top 10 in both, hopefully.

#10 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,739 posts
  • LocationRadford University

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

The Offense.

If the defense is as good as some of us want to believe, then this team will be a playoff team.

Remember, the offense was top, upper ranked two years in a row. However, the defense was horrible one year, and better/top 10 the next year. So the offense has shown more consistency, less fluctuation.

Many of us are basing the defense off the last half of the season , and conveniently forgetting the season before. I hope they will both be top 10, with the offense being top 5.

We'll see?

I wouldnt call it fluctuation. I feel like we need at least three seasons to say flucuation.

I would say the Defense improved, especially with how they are anticipated this year. I do agree that the offense will be on top due to an Improved QB.

#11 Salvo

Salvo

BEWB

• ALL-PRO
  • 872 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

Based on yardage, I think both will be just outside the top 10. But I think we'll be more efficient on both sides of the ball by committing less mistakes, causing more turnovers, and scoring more TDs...which will get us into the playoffs with a decent number of wins. Considering the schedule we have with the number of high quality defensive opponents and the offensive powerhouses in our division, it's going to be hard to break the top 10 rankings.

#12 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 4,532 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

Ironically, lowly Special Teams, could determine this teams fate more than the Offense or Defense. 

They've been bottom ranked the past two years. 

When will we see some improvement?

#13 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Member from WAAAYY Back

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,367 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

DEFENSE

I love the potential of our offense and we are going to put some points on the board.  I think the running game is going to open up some big plays for Smitty and crew.

We have a defensive minded head coach and a DC that has learned from one of the greatest DC in NFL History (God rest his soul) McDermott finally has all the piece to really do some interesting.  I see blitzes coming from everywhere.   I am excited an believe this defense with Kuechly and Beason running the show is going to be down right Nasty.

Defense top 3

Offense top 5

#14 AggieLean.

AggieLean.

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,481 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN via Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

Well, it better be the defense with most of the resources going towards that side of the ball.  Defense should be in the 5-10 range easy, with the way most in here talk and salivate over Star and KK.  

A lot of unknowns with that offense.  The o-line was trash last year, even when we had Kalil.  With the addition of Kug, you don't know what he's going to give, so it's still some uncertainty regarding the oline.  You have had Cam Newton leading the team in rushing the past two seasons.  With Lafell as the #2, he's only given us one 100+ yard receiving game in his career, plus Smith is a year older...so you don't know about that WR group.  Olsen plays soft a good portion of the time.  It would be a good idea to add a second pass catching TE to the group.  A lot of uncertainty with the offense.

#15 Gucci Mane

Gucci Mane

Trap God

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts
  • LocationKitchen

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:41 PM

Good Interior Linemen => Disrupt QB sooner => Shortens WR routes => eases pressure on DB's => Success [bad throw/pick/less time for WR to find open space]

so defense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com