Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ECU plans to expand stadium to 60,000 by 2016

32 posts in this topic

Posted

I actually think Cincy is more likely to get an ACC invite than UCONN.

I can't remember what UCONN did, but they pissed the ACC off sometime around 03 when the last round of realignment went down. 

Cincy is also a better academic institution.

I can actually see UCONN becoming UMass-like in time unless the ACC decides to throw them a life vest instead of Cincy.

If Cincy doesn't get into the ACC, they'll get a Big XII invite at some point to make WVU happy.

UConn is pretty widely known as one of, if not the top academic public school in the Northeast. 

They won the NCAA Championship in 2004, so maybe that's what they did to piss off the ACC ;)

Cincinnati is more consistent in football though, but UConn is on the rise. As for basketball, who knows with Calhoun out. Kevin Ollie looked good last year as the coach, but only time will tell.

Posted

Heard a lot of people that graduated from UConn graduated in the tops. As heard a lot of great things about it academic wise. They are more basketball wise.

Posted

As far as basketball, F*CKING OF COURSE they were better in CUSA!! The Old Big East was either the best or the 2nd best basketball conference in the country every year! The competition is uncomparable. Memphis was their only true consistent competition every year. Besides, the addition of Memphis far cancels any shortcomings of Cincy, and the loss of the Cath. 7 will surely improve their record.

I missed this little tidbit.

The Old CUSA also had Louisville, Marquette, and a very good Charlotte program. Memphis was actually not that great in CUSA v1.0. They were not bad, but they were nothing like they are today. Cincy had the best winning percentage, the most championships. and a HoF caliber coach. Charlotte had the 2nd best winning percentage and I believe tied for second most CUSA championships. Louisville was third. Memphis actually played in the west division of CUSA, which was pretty poor and they still didn't have the number of wins that Cincy, Charlotte, Louisville, and maybe Marquette.

CUSA also featured a pretty good UAB program and a respectable Saint Louis program, as well as a DePaul program that wasn't always terrible. CUSA 1.0 was a 5 bid league some years. Not quite as good as the Big East as its peak, but a very stout basketball conference nonetheless. Cincy and Louisville were perennial top 15 programs with Cincy being ranked #1 in the country a few times.

Their decline was due more to losing Huggins than moving to a more difficult conference.

I'm not trying to argue anything here, just wanted to give you a little history on a very underrated league that was ripped apart by the first round of ACC expansion.

Posted

When I was there, Skip was recruiting by selling the improvement to 60k and this was back in 09'. If nothing official has come out I'd take your info with a grain of salt but it was said to the football recruits this project would be completed by 2012. Everyone was excited about the horseshoe but we all really wanted to see the new upper deck and it never came.

Posted

When I was there, Skip was recruiting by selling the improvement to 60k and this was back in 09'. If nothing official has come out I'd take your info with a grain of salt but it was said to the football recruits this project would be completed by 2012. Everyone was excited about the horseshoe but we all really wanted to see the new upper deck and it never came.

Funding has been approved.  A contractor has been selected.  It's just a matter of when.  We're currently building a $15 million basketball practice facility.  It looks like 2016 will be the completion date for the football stadium expansion.  I mean, we added 7,000 seats and a GIGANTIC videoboard in 2010.  Cut us a break.  lol 

Posted

Funding has been approved. A contractor has been selected. It's just a matter of when. We're currently building a $15 million basketball practice facility. It looks like 2016 will be the completion date for the football stadium expansion. I mean, we added 7,000 seats and a GIGANTIC videoboard in 2010. Cut us a break. lol

I lived right across the street at Piratesplace man, believe me when I say I know ECU is for real. When I get done with my associates I plan on transferring back to ECU. Bowling in rowdy dowdy really gave it at big time feel, especially when State and Russel Wilson rolled into town. We partied all day and night Friday and Saturday and the atmosphere was electric

My freshmen year in 2009 when we played Vatech on a Thursday was the most pumped up football game I've been to. Classes let out early and we got to partying, all weekend long and the stadium was nuts.

However, all the partying led me to where I am now so I no longer get to enjoy the growth but I will be back in 2 springs.

Posted

I lived right across the street at Piratesplace man, believe me when I say I know ECU is for real. When I get done with my associates I plan on transferring back to ECU. Bowling in rowdy dowdy really gave it at big time feel, especially when State and Russel Wilson rolled into town. We partied all day and night Friday and Saturday and the atmosphere was electric

My freshmen year in 2009 when we played Vatech on a Thursday was the most pumped up football game I've been to. Classes let out early and we got to partying, all weekend long and the stadium was nuts.

However, all the partying led me to where I am now so I no longer get to enjoy the growth but I will be back in 2 springs.

Awesome.  Good luck to you!  I agree... ECU has easily the best college football gameday atmosphere in North Carolina.  50,000 screaming Pirates.  UNC & State have bigger stadiums, but the crowd noise, tailgating, women, and food don't compare.

Go Pirates!  16 more days...

Posted

Awesome. Good luck to you! I agree... ECU has easily the best college football gameday atmosphere in North Carolina. 50,000 screaming Pirates. UNC & State have bigger stadiums, but the crowd noise, tailgating, women, and food don't compare.

Go Pirates! 16 more days...

I disagree on the women, UNC has the finest least dressed women I have seen. Something about blonde and blue walking around in shorts and no shirt. However, I firmly believe Apps has a better atmosphere than UNC, State, and obviously Duke. App gets rowdy because of the expectations, the wine and cheesers up the mountain are few and far between. I had the most fun as a student though, heckling the other team but by the time conference games rolled around it just lost its appeal. No one cares to see UAB or Memphis, or Tulane. Virginia Tech, State, UNC, and App bring out the best and loudest the fans have to offer.

I believe if App wins from the get go in the Sun Belt and gets their stadium bowled in and buildings built up to trap sound, it will be close to ECU. The difference between UNC and App, and ECU are the expectations. They were really high my freshmen year and it showed in the students. App always has been loud and the night game Armanti single handily destroyed Richmond was louder than I heard UNC get and was a different loud from ECU. The official, who was from the Big 12 said that was the loudest game on the field he had been apart of aside from Texas and OU.