suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,156 posts
  • Location704

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

Hired a coach last week. 

George Karl fired today. 

Maybe, in due time, the guy we got will end up being a good hire, but right now I would have taken Karl. I don't know how much longer he's got left in the tank though, and the fact that they were considering Jerry Sloan makes me think he would have at least got a phone call. 

#2 Mike

Mike

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:20 PM

Would he have considered us?

Karl has a proven record of developing players and coaching competitive teams. In his twenty five seasons in the NBA he's had twenty one winning seasons, one .500, and only three losing seasons. And he's missed out on the play offs in only two of those twenty five seasons, and on both occasions he was fired by the Cavs and Warriors. With his record he doesn't strike me as the type of guy that would want to come to us at this point, especially with us part way through a rebuild. 

But like you I think he could have been an excellent appointment here, though fingers crossed Clifford becomes our guy. 

#3 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,156 posts
  • Location704

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

Would he have considered us?

Karl has a proven record of developing players and coaching competitive teams. In his twenty five seasons in the NBA he's had twenty one winning seasons, one .500, and only three losing seasons. And he's missed out on the play offs in only two of those twenty five seasons, and on both occasions he was fired by the Cavs and Warriors. With his record he doesn't strike me as the type of guy that would want to come to us at this point, especially with us part way through a rebuild. 

But like you I think he could have been an excellent appointment here, though fingers crossed Clifford becomes our guy. 

I don't know if he would have considered us. You gotta think there would have been teams lined up to talk to him if this would have happened a few weeks ago.

Karl has ties to the state, being a former UNC basketball player, but he was the guy who gave MJ the endorsement of Mike Dunlap. He also wasn't too happy when he questionably fired last month. So, it would not surprise me if Karl wouldn't have taken the job just out of respect to Dunlap. Still, would have loved to have him here. 

#4 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,334 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

That was a bad move IMO by the Nuggets. Karl is a great coach. Not just a good coach but a great coach.

#5 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,156 posts
  • Location704

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

That was a bad move IMO by the Nuggets. Karl is a great coach. Not just a good coach but a great coach.

it certainly looks stupid. they should have done that a few weeks ago if they wanted to can him.  

#6 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,570 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:19 PM

Karl is very good friends with Dunlap, there is no way he would have considered this job because he would essentially be giving Dunlap the FU.

#7 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,650 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:12 PM

I understand Karl is a good coach, but he was fired.  They dont get fired because of how good they are.

#8 Baby Andy Reid

Baby Andy Reid

finally someone fatter than Alice

• HUDDLER
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:29 PM

He won 57 games this year. He got canned because he wanted an extension and a raise. Not because he is a bad coach.

#9 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,976 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:46 PM

I was definitely thinking this.

Twice now actually...  Lionel Hollins is in limbo and Karl is let go by the Nuggets.

Clifford could end up being awesome, and I certainly hope he will be.  The problem is, Karl is a proven commodity, whereas Clifford is an unknown.  That being said, I would take Karl or Hollins over Clifford for that reason.  Then again, if Clifford ends up being the next Thibs, Popovich, etc., then we still came out of this winning big time.

#10 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,570 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:47 PM

I understand Karl is a good coach, but he was fired.  They dont get fired because of how good they are.

57 wins (most wins in a single season in Nuggets history), coach of the year, and the 6th most wins by a coach in NBA history... he's not a bad coach.

#11 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,283 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:53 PM

Karl got the boot? WOW

#12 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 5,951 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:06 AM

Nba coaching hiring and firing rarely make any sense.

This is a perfect example.

Unfortunately Karl looks really beat up from his illness and I hope this is not a health related issue.

If you think Karl was not a great coach bc he was "fired" then you are clueless to NBA basketball and coaching. Class guy and even though he is a Tarheel I hope he will be in good health and relaxes away from NBA stress.

#13 Manos

Manos

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:29 AM

If Karl still wants to coach Id love to see him with the clippers. Bring cp3 back with Karl coaching and that team just might actually have a title shot. I am not a clippers fan or anything(hell they may have hired a new coach already no idea) but i think it would be a great fit.

#14 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:19 AM

How do you win Coach of the Year and get fired?  Guy won the last 40 some games with like a 36-8 record or something, had the 3rd seed with no superstars on his team.  Stupid, stupid decision, and if I was a Denver fan I'd be up in arms over this.  I just don't get it, at all.  Like someone mentioned, it has to be money, I don't know of any other reason why they'd do this.  

#15 OchoNueve

OchoNueve

for those of you that don't habla espanol...

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:51 AM

George Karl is a great coach and I have a lot of respect for him, but he is the Marty Schottenheimer of the NBA (fired after a 13-3 season with the Chargers).  He gets his team's to perform and even excel in the regular season, but they inevitably fold come the playoffs.  From what I've read, Nuggets management wanted him to play Javale McGee more after they gave him such a large contract, but he refused and played Koufos instead.  Upper management blames Karl for the series loss to the Warriors in the playoffs because they thought he tried to match the shorter quicker lineup instead of playing Nuggets basketball like they played all season... Then to put the cherry on top, he wanted a raise and a 4-year extension.  I think both sides are justified in having a sour taste in their mouth but I think ultimately, Karl wore out his welcome with the execs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users