Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AE, Panthers & High Marks in the same sentence (article)

74 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I think Armanti stands the best chance to do something this year because of Ricky Proehl.  Smitty credits him with teaching him the ropes when they played together for the Panthers.  Seems to me that Ricky is a great teacher and mentor and exactly what Edwards needs.  This could be the perfect storm where wisdom and experience join athleticism to help him get over the hump.  Seems to me that this year is surely do or die and the competition is fierce.  He will either rise up or fade away.  He has to know that this is it.  His contract is up after this season. This is his last year to prove he worth another contract. And at this point there is no guarantee there will even be a fall campaign. 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

If I was about to lose my job, I would just poo my pants so they wouldn't fire me.

Posted · Report post

I don't think anyone is rooting against the guy but we've seriously been hearing this poo since 2011 and then he promptly does next to nothing in the regular season.

I tend to agree with this. The hate this guy gets probably comes more from having a miniature local teebow following. They always bring his blown up limited stats and talk about how great the dude is and that can really get annoying. If he didn't have the local fame he wouldn't be getting this benefit of the doubt like he does now. Everyone roots for their team to discover that hidden gem, and if Armanti is one then you'll see all the hate disappear.

Posted · Report post

The biggest hurdle I would think, mentally, to over come as a QB turned WR would have to be adapting to becoming the aggressor and not the guy running for his life. That, to me, is where AE is weakest. I'd like to see what he's improved this year. If he looks like he's playing with a mean streak and bustin loose I'd like to see him start in the slot.

Posted · Report post

The biggest hurdle I would think, mentally, to over come as a QB turned WR would have to be adapting to becoming the aggressor and not the guy running for his life. That, to me, is where AE is weakest. I'd like to see what he's improved this year. If he looks like he's playing with a mean streak and bustin loose I'd like to see him start in the slot.

Sorry, not trying to be a dick but this is wrong. I'm one of the biggest Armanti supporters here. Armanti was the aggressor in college. I saw him do things in college that i thought at the very least his mentality would translate to the NFL. He plays scared.

When he was QB he would try and truck linebackers, he would dive over defensive lineman and linebackers for the TD. Like someone else said he was fearless. And he played to win. This has nothing to do with positions. It has everything to do with mindset.

I hope he has improved his mindset because he can make this team better if he plays the way he did in college. Obviously he hasn't proven that in the least bit here. And his time is dwindling down.

Posted · Report post

edwards was playing injured for several games after the beating he took against michigan and he basically got skullfuged by LSU the next season.  he was never afraid of contact in college and would drop his shoulder to grind out extra yards like a running back.

of course the NFL is on its own level and it does seem like he plays scared now.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

He plays scared, but not because he's scared of being injured. I think it's all a mental thing that stems from being uncomfortable playing a position that he had never played. He was playing tight and to not fuck up, instead of playing loose, because he was trying to prove that he deserved to be on the field in his limited shots. He was basically just playing overly tight and stiff, which I believe to be 100% mental.

Hopefully he's gotten over that, and I believe he was showing signs of that last season. 

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

So you have Gettis, Pilares, Adams, and Edwards fighting for the last two roster spots.

Which one of those WON'T catch on with another team if he gets cut?

And yeah JOAT, I don't get the hate either.  Not surprised by it, but I don't get it.

Posted · Report post

Sorry, not trying to be a dick but this is wrong. I'm one of the biggest Armanti supporters here. Armanti was the aggressor in college. I saw him do things in college that i thought at the very least his mentality would translate to the NFL. He plays scared.

When he was QB he would try and truck linebackers, he would dive over defensive lineman and linebackers for the TD. Like someone else said he was fearless. And he played to win. This has nothing to do with positions. It has everything to do with mindset.

I hope he has improved his mindset because he can make this team better if he plays the way he did in college. Obviously he hasn't proven that in the least bit here. And his time is dwindling down.

no no you misunderstood me a little. I read your comments about that earlier and am aware of that, but he hasnt done that at the pro level. He may have done it in college but he changed when he got to this level.

edit: and btw I get that he took risks, but did he lower his shoulder every time like Smitty does or put a stiff arm out on a LB?

Posted · Report post

no no you misunderstood me a little. I read your comments about that earlier and am aware of that, but he hasnt done that at the pro level. He may have done it in college but he changed when he got to this level.

edit: and btw I get that he took risks, but did he lower his shoulder every time like Smitty does or put a stiff arm out on a LB like LaFell does?

ha ok misread a little bit, my bad. He did all those things in college but yea not in the pros.  just youtube armanti appstate highlights. Guy didn't give a shit about his body.

Posted · Report post

by the way, how big is he now?

is 190 accurate?

Posted · Report post

I'm not sure. He is bigger than he was at App.

Posted · Report post

Let's hope that translates to the field on gameday.

Posted · Report post

Has a coach ever been quoted as saying "yeah he's garbage" in one of these fluff pieces?
No?
OK why would Proehl be different?

Um...

http://youtu.be/hfYhYft8dwI

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

AE is pretty damn quick. He doesn't have elite speed but he isn't the slow bum everyone on the forum tries to make him out to be. I think he has legit NFL talent he just lacks tenacity and confidence and the reps to build on that vice versa.

It was mentioned here a while back by a fellow huddler that AE ability as a threat was reduced when he came to the NFL. Not because he changed but because the competition got better. I would also agree with that and with that I don't think AE would ever be a dangerous QB in the NFL. WR is actually a good position for him to learn because he has the quickness to be good at it. He is also intelligent and if he can become the craftsmen that a WR needs to be then he just may turn out okay.
Steve Smith once had 4.3 speed but it was never his speed that made him the best. Not saying AE is Smith at all but I get tired of the notion that speed makes a player. Joe Adams is fuggin fast and his agility is legit nasty. But the arm chair WR's on the huddle like to believe they can outrun these guys just because they see a punter have a good angle on a guy.

Though I say without any professional scouting or coaching experience like everyone else on the huddle. lol

You do know ie is faster than joe adams right?

Posted · Report post

If he makes it, it will be because he beat Gettis out.  I think Gettis is as fast and as scary.  Gettis is 6'2"? or 3"

What would be cool is to keep AE and only keep 2 QBs.  Place the rookie on the P.S. squad, say goodbye to Clausen and then AE could be emergency QB in case Cam and Anderson gets hurt in the same game.

Posted · Report post

He was a QB converted to WR... you HAVE to give him 3 years to prove himself.

Who knows!? But I would love to see him come around and produce for us next season.. 

GO Armanti Go

Posted · Report post

Derp!

Posted · Report post

Didn't take randle el 3 years, because he was actually nfl caliber talent

Posted · Report post

No, Joe Adams should make the team over AE.

Posted · Report post

Didn't take randle el 3 years, because he was actually nfl caliber talent

Randel El also played WR and returned punts in college. So he had more experience than AE. Also, Randel El wasn't really your typical QB. He ran a version of the read option-wildcat, and threw very few passes.

Posted · Report post

No, Joe Adams should make the team over AE.

Joe Fumblitis Adams needs to get cut.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

he's certainly done well enough when he actually got on the field, particularly last year. He blocked well, caught passes that were thrown to him. When they've asked him to throw he's done it. He just hasn't gotten a lot of run. And it doesn't make sense since he clearly dominates in practice. 

Joe Adams sucks in practice AND on the field.

Posted · Report post

Randel El also played WR and returned punts in college. So he had more experience than AE. Also, Randel El wasn't really your typical QB. He ran a version of the read option-wildcat, and threw very few passes.

randel el barely played any wr in college. he also had this thing the coaches talk about players having. rhymes with gallant.