Photo
- - - - -

Who is the best athlete on the field? (Updated Criteria, now with music!)

Best Answer SOJA, 08 June 2013 - 12:33 PM

boooo this man!

its a poll, not the $25000 question. Get off the fence ya sissy! :)

I think DE, CB, WR, LB, S are all very close, and with the recent TE's of (Davis, Gronk, Hernandez, Graham) you could make an argument for them as well

Pure athlete, Jason Pierre Paul is probably the best

source:

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

Poll: Greatest athlete on the field (133 member(s) have cast votes)

What position requires the greatest athleticism to play?

1. QB (12 votes [9.02%])

Percentage of vote: 9.02%

2. LT (2 votes [1.50%])

Percentage of vote: 1.50%

3. DE (16 votes [12.03%])

Percentage of vote: 12.03%

4. S (5 votes [3.76%])

Percentage of vote: 3.76%

5. Voted RB (9 votes [6.77%])

Percentage of vote: 6.77%

6. LB (21 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

7. WR (21 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

8. CB (43 votes [32.33%])

Percentage of vote: 32.33%

9. DT (1 votes [0.75%])

Percentage of vote: 0.75%

10. other (TE, G, C, . . . . K, P if you got the cohones) (3 votes [2.26%])

Percentage of vote: 2.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

Something that I always go back to when Im reading comments about players is. . who really is the most dominant player on the field physically? To me this is much more fun to debate than who had more career yards or who had the most TD's  in games where someone got nut shotted.

a lil music

Factors to consider: Strength, Speed, Agility, Visual tracking, Balance, Reflexes, Hand-Eye Coordination

Other factors to consider when comparing the above: Size and Job Difficulty

This is how I see each position breakdown and please correct me if you think Im missing something here.

QB - The QB to me is a guy whos talented first and foremost but not necessarily the strongest or fastest. Panther's fan might lean in voting this direction because of Cam but the truth is that Cam is the rarest commodity in the game.

LT - The giants of the field, strong as an ox but still somehow more nimble than he looks. Always striving to be in perfect balance or creating space for others.

DE - The DE seems to be the most agile big man. He has been put on the field to do one thing, create havoc. Raw strength at its quickest and wiliest.

S - Speed at its strongest.  Blazing fast and yet still strong enough to lay whompings and dole out pain. Kinetic Energy = mv^2 , high speed chunks of mass are devastating. Agile enough to fight in the air and strong enough to lay out a RB. Uses his vision to read both the offense and how the defense is reacting in order to compensate when critical.

RB - Arguably the most famous position in football even though he's not under center. Every physical tool is a weapon. Strength, speed, wiiiide of vision and narrow of purpose. Getting yards or man handling his assignment are his only real concerns. Running over or embarrassingly around anyone who challenges them.

LB - Often mentioned by players as being the most "chiseled" specimens. A blend of 50% speed 50% strength. . .and 50% beast. Flying through gaps, shedding blocks and humiliating RB's while being able to jump and defend passes in the air even against wideouts. The LB is also reading a very large portion of the offense as its being executed.

WR - Grace, speed, and vision. Rarely does he seek to deal damage to anyone larger than a safety. Usually straying away from contact with the larger guys but strong enough to bully corners. A receivers' vision is his most under appreciated. He has to be able to track the largest chunks of the field next to the QB and the S, on par with a LB.

CB - The speediest meanest little bastard on the field. What they lack in size in the WR matchup they make up for in any other physical way. Reflexes have to be razor sharp to read and react to the fastest players on the field. They accelerate the fastest and are typically the ceiling for speed on any given team. Required to make hits in today's NFL so guys like Prime Time dont really have jobs anymore.

DT - Strength at its quickest and most violent. Can mow through blocks or eat space like its a delicious feast for a king. He is still agile enough to break through the offensive line when not respected in that capacity.

Other - (please explain)

#2 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,925 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:38 AM

I think NFL CB is the most athletically demanding position in all pro sports.

#3 NCstoner420

NCstoner420

Dave's not here man

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:48 AM

I say linebacker. You have to be quick enough to catch a running back, strong enough to beat a block from an offensive linemen and fast enough to cover a tight end or receiver. 

#4 Captroop

Captroop

Pronounced, "Cat Poop"

• HUDDLER
  • 4,859 posts
  • LocationNot Telling... CatofWar might find me.

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:58 AM

DE, no other position demands as much in terms of combining strength, agility, speed, and God-given advantages like height.

You've got to overpower an NFL Offensive Linemen, then sprint to the QB, and try to bring down some of these guys who are boulders like Roethlisberger, or track athletes like RG III. Every single play for them sounds like a ridiculous drill for everyone else.

#5 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,735 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:09 PM

So many. They only ones that do not require great athleticism are QB, K and P IMO.

Brady and P Manning aren't great athletes, but they're great QB's.

#6 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

Steve Smith was my knee jerk reaction to just reading the thread title.(I assumed you meant Panthers).

#7 Woodcookedbbq

Woodcookedbbq

Vinegar Based

• HUDDLER
  • 2,393 posts
  • LocationGreenville, NC

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

Linebacker

#8 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• HUDDLER
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:14 PM

I think Im still leaning towards Safety but End is right there with it. Corner is closer in my book also, on the line with LB/RB in my book.

#9 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 9,860 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

There are athletes at every position. It's hard to say that Steve Smith is not as good of an athlete as Peppers, even though Peppers is a freak of a specimen

#10 mbarbour21

mbarbour21

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

I have to agree with DE. That is also why I believe going D-line is so important to Gett. It is important to keep them fresh. Is that because they are the most winded? Not IMO. It is because they need to use speed and strength on every play, every single down. Constantly going high motor and constantly trying to knock around the biggest ppl in the league, or run around them. Some are even asked to drop back in coverage, which requires another set of athleticism.

#11 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,727 posts
  • LocationRadford University

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

Gotta be DE. Just gotta be

#12 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• HUDDLER
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:26 PM

There are athletes at every position. It's hard to say that Steve Smith is not as good of an athlete as Peppers, even though Peppers is a freak of a specimen

boooo this man!

#13 mbarbour21

mbarbour21

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

Haha! The best way to look at the question would be to consider who NEEDS the most athleticism to play his position. Like mentioned earlier Cam has a lot, but doesn't NEED it to play that position. Look at Manning/Brady. Doesnt mean that a QB doesnt have more than a DE.

#14 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 9,860 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:33 PM   Best Answer

boooo this man!

I think DE, CB, WR, LB, S are all very close, and with the recent TE's of (Davis, Gronk, Hernandez, Graham) you could make an argument for them as well

source:

#15 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• HUDDLER
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:37 PM

source

So youre picking DE then?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com