Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who is the best athlete on the field? (Updated Criteria, now with music!)

Greatest athlete on the field   133 votes

1. 1. What position requires the greatest athleticism to play?

• QB
    • LT
    • DE
    • S
    • RB
    • LB
    • WR
    • CB
    • DT
    • other (TE, G, C, . . . . K, P if you got the cohones)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

100 posts in this topic

Posted

I think many of you are downplaying sight to much in the physical role. Consider that a corner only really has two guys to watch. The DE also only needs a small visual radius to get his job done.

When you guys say the corners job is most difficult consider that a Safety has to track damn near every guy on the field in real time. The LB's RB's WR's are also doing this at pretty large level also.

. . .and whos fault is it if the defense gets beat deep?

Posted

Boxers disagree with you. Quick, agile, incredibly strong, tough, durable, full of stamina and endurance, hand eye coordination like no other, etc etc.

I'd also argue that PG, SG, and SF specifically could be more athletically demanding than CB. Think Lebron as an athlete vs Revis. Best of each, but Lebron is the better athlete.

Boxers may be in good shape, that does not mean however that they are good athletes. I wouldn't pick Tyson for any team sport, and he was one of the most devastating boxers ever.

I will agree that Basketball players are very good athletes. I just think the physicality of Football puts it on another level. You not only have to be athletic, you must be physically willing and able to take on players who are usually much bigger than you.

Posted

whichever position has the lowest average wonderlic score

1 person likes this

Posted

Basketball has truly amazing athletes, but many of them prefer to shy away from contact. I didnt want to bring it up because it could be argued that contact is more of a mental thing in the respect of overcoming pain. That to me is still part of the criteria in that discussion but to others its not.

I prefer watching the NFL but I can certainly see both sides to the football-basketball argument.

Posted

whichever position has the lowest average wonderlic score

Does this mean if we go out and draft a bunch of mongoloids, we're going back to the superbowl?

Posted

Boxers may be in good shape, that does not mean however that they are good athletes. I wouldn't pick Tyson for any team sport, and he was one of the most devastating boxers ever.

I will agree that Basketball players are very good athletes. I just think the physicality of Football puts it on another level. You not only have to be athletic, you must be physically willing and able to take on players who are usually much bigger than you.

I guess I see what you're saying. Boxers have many aspects of being athletic, but I suppose running and that sort of thing is generally seen as a big part of athleticism. 

And I wouldn't pick Tyson for any team sports either, mainly cause he's Mike Tyson.

As for someone like Floyd Mayweather, I bet he could excel in many sports. Same with someone like Pacquiao. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I went with LB.. Not takin anything away from CB, but LBs are much more involved. They're after the QB or the RB, take on OL-men, cover. A TE or even WR... That's every damn offensive position. CBs may do the same but nowhere near the frequency that a LB has to... LB is the meat of the defense, has to do it all. Most other positions are rather specialized, even CB.......

Posted

If you're talking about pure wow workout numbers, overall I'd say RB, LB, and S are probably universally the best speed/strength combination athletes.  But, then you have some freak DEs like Peppers and Mario Williams you'd have to consider and some TEs like Vernon Davis who would also be in the conversation, not to mention WRs like Calvin Johnson.  Lots of freak athletes in the NFL and they're pretty much spread across all positions.  There's just so many different types of athleticism.  Who's the most athletic, the fastest?  The strongest?  The quickest?  The guy who can jump the highest?  Like I said, if you were to take a sampling of all the positions in the NFL, I think RB, LB, and S would probably be at the top of the heap as far as overall athleticism.

Posted

Basketball has some amazing athletes, but it's not necessarily a prerequisite.  Hell, Kevin Durant is a great player and looks like a great athlete on the court but he tested out as a terrible athlete in NBA terms at the combine.

"According to the newspaper, the report said Durant was ranked 78th out of 80 NBA prospects who worked out at Orlando, while Ohio State center Greg Oden had an impressive workout."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2007/news/story?id=2894925

1 person likes this

Posted

Leaning linebacker. They have to be prepared to take on every offensive position player on every play. Have to be pretty damn athletic to deal with all speeds and sizes.

Posted

Linebackers are most definitely doing everything on the field whether it be tackling or covering. Of all the positions, that one requires the most consistency in every area of football. About the only thing they dont do well, usually, is run with the ball. Every time it happens its like a kid running around with an ice cream cone. . .

Its crazy that they seem awkward sometimes when they get an interception, carrying it around like its loaf of bread. That cracks me up. Its like theyre not concerned about anyone knocking it out of their hands like "yeah so what, I dare you to take it. . . I will pound you in the face!"

Posted

LB for sure. You have to be big,fast, and smart in the game today.