Photo
- - - - -

Who is the best athlete on the field? (Updated Criteria, now with music!)

Best Answer SOJA, 08 June 2013 - 12:33 PM

boooo this man!

its a poll, not the $25000 question. Get off the fence ya sissy! :)

I think DE, CB, WR, LB, S are all very close, and with the recent TE's of (Davis, Gronk, Hernandez, Graham) you could make an argument for them as well

Pure athlete, Jason Pierre Paul is probably the best

source:

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

Poll: Greatest athlete on the field (133 member(s) have cast votes)

What position requires the greatest athleticism to play?

1. QB (12 votes [9.02%])

Percentage of vote: 9.02%

2. LT (2 votes [1.50%])

Percentage of vote: 1.50%

3. DE (16 votes [12.03%])

Percentage of vote: 12.03%

4. S (5 votes [3.76%])

Percentage of vote: 3.76%

5. Voted RB (9 votes [6.77%])

Percentage of vote: 6.77%

6. LB (21 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

7. WR (21 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

8. CB (43 votes [32.33%])

Percentage of vote: 32.33%

9. DT (1 votes [0.75%])

Percentage of vote: 0.75%

10. other (TE, G, C, . . . . K, P if you got the cohones) (3 votes [2.26%])

Percentage of vote: 2.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

backpedaling, bailing, weaving, breaking..... you might have a point.

Sounds like a Friday night at the inlaws. Without those pesky 911 calls.

#32 Ken

Ken

Triple Threat

• HUDDLER
  • 3,102 posts
  • Locationnyc

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:59 PM

CB & DE for sure.

#33 Smitty Is Our Savior

Smitty Is Our Savior

Jesus Shuttlesworth

• HUDDLER
  • 5,477 posts
  • LocationUNC Chapel Hill & Wilmington

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:06 PM

I think NFL CB is the most athletically demanding position in all pro sports.

Boxers disagree with you. Quick, agile, incredibly strong, tough, durable, full of stamina and endurance, hand eye coordination like no other, etc etc.

I'd also argue that PG, SG, and SF specifically could be more athletically demanding than CB. Think Lebron as an athlete vs Revis. Best of each, but Lebron is the better athlete.

#34 trix123

trix123

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:14 PM

Has to be cornerback.......is there a postion in team sports that are less protected than CB's

Lets not forget that they are having to react to WR that are stronger, taller and in some cases just as fast if not faster than them

If a DE takes a play off (this isnt me getting at them because you do need a good motor to play DE) it doesnt directly result in a big play. A corner back has to be focused on just about every play as one mistake resluts in a big play and we as viewers always see the last mistake i.e a CB being poor in coverage resulting in a TD

I would reckon scounts look at the physical gifts tools of a cornerback more than any other position. Speed, ability to turn hips, verticle, backpedalling. In most other positions players can still get drafted high or even exceed while lacking certain physical gifts but its more rear in CBs, especially cover corners

#35 KJ89

KJ89

bottom line

• HUDDLER
  • 2,686 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:15 PM

CB hands down

#36 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Champions are made in the offseason.

• HUDDLER
  • 4,072 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

Corners have the toughest job. Therefore it stands to reason that they are the most athletically gifted of all the positions. Qb's can be athletic but its not a prerequisite. Corners have to stay with the fastest guy on the offense, and mirror another human beings actions as quickly as said human thinks them and performs them. It's outside of my comprehension how these guys remain glued to their man, know where help is, and still manage to be aware of where the ball/play is going. Truly remarkable.

#37 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• HUDDLER
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

I think many of you are downplaying sight to much in the physical role. Consider that a corner only really has two guys to watch. The DE also only needs a small visual radius to get his job done.

When you guys say the corners job is most difficult consider that a Safety has to track damn near every guy on the field in real time. The LB's RB's WR's are also doing this at pretty large level also.

. . .and whos fault is it if the defense gets beat deep?

#38 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,791 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:10 PM

Boxers disagree with you. Quick, agile, incredibly strong, tough, durable, full of stamina and endurance, hand eye coordination like no other, etc etc.

I'd also argue that PG, SG, and SF specifically could be more athletically demanding than CB. Think Lebron as an athlete vs Revis. Best of each, but Lebron is the better athlete.

Boxers may be in good shape, that does not mean however that they are good athletes. I wouldn't pick Tyson for any team sport, and he was one of the most devastating boxers ever.

I will agree that Basketball players are very good athletes. I just think the physicality of Football puts it on another level. You not only have to be athletic, you must be physically willing and able to take on players who are usually much bigger than you.

#39 Keith Moons Liver

Keith Moons Liver

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:16 PM

whichever position has the lowest average wonderlic score

#40 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• HUDDLER
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

Basketball has truly amazing athletes, but many of them prefer to shy away from contact. I didnt want to bring it up because it could be argued that contact is more of a mental thing in the respect of overcoming pain. That to me is still part of the criteria in that discussion but to others its not.

I prefer watching the NFL but I can certainly see both sides to the football-basketball argument.

#41 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• HUDDLER
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:22 PM

whichever position has the lowest average wonderlic score

Does this mean if we go out and draft a bunch of mongoloids, we're going back to the superbowl?

#42 Smitty Is Our Savior

Smitty Is Our Savior

Jesus Shuttlesworth

• HUDDLER
  • 5,477 posts
  • LocationUNC Chapel Hill & Wilmington

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:11 PM

Boxers may be in good shape, that does not mean however that they are good athletes. I wouldn't pick Tyson for any team sport, and he was one of the most devastating boxers ever.

I will agree that Basketball players are very good athletes. I just think the physicality of Football puts it on another level. You not only have to be athletic, you must be physically willing and able to take on players who are usually much bigger than you.

I guess I see what you're saying. Boxers have many aspects of being athletic, but I suppose running and that sort of thing is generally seen as a big part of athleticism. 

And I wouldn't pick Tyson for any team sports either, mainly cause he's Mike Tyson.

As for someone like Floyd Mayweather, I bet he could excel in many sports. Same with someone like Pacquiao. 

#43 il Malocchio

il Malocchio

formerly j2sgam...

• HUDDLER
  • 3,842 posts
  • Locationtryin to figure it out...

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:42 PM

I went with LB.. Not takin anything away from CB, but LBs are much more involved. They're after the QB or the RB, take on OL-men, cover. A TE or even WR... That's every damn offensive position. CBs may do the same but nowhere near the frequency that a LB has to... LB is the meat of the defense, has to do it all. Most other positions are rather specialized, even CB.......

#44 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 3,652 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:17 PM

If you're talking about pure wow workout numbers, overall I'd say RB, LB, and S are probably universally the best speed/strength combination athletes.  But, then you have some freak DEs like Peppers and Mario Williams you'd have to consider and some TEs like Vernon Davis who would also be in the conversation, not to mention WRs like Calvin Johnson.  Lots of freak athletes in the NFL and they're pretty much spread across all positions.  There's just so many different types of athleticism.  Who's the most athletic, the fastest?  The strongest?  The quickest?  The guy who can jump the highest?  Like I said, if you were to take a sampling of all the positions in the NFL, I think RB, LB, and S would probably be at the top of the heap as far as overall athleticism.

#45 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 3,652 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:20 PM

Basketball has some amazing athletes, but it's not necessarily a prerequisite.  Hell, Kevin Durant is a great player and looks like a great athlete on the court but he tested out as a terrible athlete in NBA terms at the combine.

"According to the newspaper, the report said Durant was ranked 78th out of 80 NBA prospects who worked out at Orlando, while Ohio State center Greg Oden had an impressive workout."

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=2894925

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.