Photo
- - - - -

Why Do You Believe What You Believe? - - a thread to expound on your ideological background and how it has shaped your belief system(s)

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#16 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,930 posts
  • Locationfresh out the grave

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

I'm combative and enjoy arguing with random people on the internet and irl

Most of my beliefs are probably shaped by arguing against status quo and the majority opinion. If I was raised up north or somewhere I maybe would have turned out the opposite of what I am now who knows.

YW for all that insight^

#17 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

_Beat The Hawks_

• HUDDLER
  • 17,346 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:50 PM

i would really like to hear in detail from sz james, pstall, cookinwithgas, g5, stirs, kurb, panthro, and most of all KT (someone tell him his ban is lifted if he posts at length in this thread)

KT's ban is not lifted.

One reason I asked the question about the Huddle being diverse.

The Huddle does have diverse middle class white guy posters here, but conservative views are ridiculed with great venom.

#18 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,021 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:54 PM

KT's ban is not lifted.
The Huddle does have diverse middle class white guy posters here, but conservative views are ridiculed with great venom.

I don't think we ridicule conservative views. It's just that conservative views are stupid and anyone who believes them are racist idiots. ;)

Other than that they are fine.

I kid I kid

#19 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:44 PM

KT's ban is not lifted.

the most mean spirited poster is madhatter and for some reason conservatives never have anything to say about him, presumably because he's "on their side"

#20 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,247 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

i would really like to hear in detail from sz james, pstall, cookinwithgas, g5, stirs, kurb, panthro, and most of all KT (someone tell him his ban is lifted if he posts at length in this thread)

WELL FINE THEN

#21 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

KT's ban is not lifted.

The Huddle does have diverse middle class white guy posters here, but all views are ridiculed with great venom.

Fixed that for you. 

There are a few very vocal posters on the left and the right who are not afraid to tell you when they disagree.  Most everyone else falls somewhere in the middle and are generally less active posters

#22 AttentionKmartShoppers

AttentionKmartShoppers

NEWB

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

'I was born a poor black child'

#23 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,663 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:28 PM

Oh Hai grits, you racist pedo retard. 

#24 AttentionKmartShoppers

AttentionKmartShoppers

NEWB

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

Hey Floppin you felon .)

#25 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,663 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

Smooches. 

#26 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

Free KT!

#27 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,550 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:19 PM

WELL FINE THEN

waiting!

edit: catofwar, you too

and zod actually

really everyone. i think mostly the polarizing people are the most interesting, trying to draw correlations between their experience and beliefs and understand how the former shaped the latter. 

edit v.2.0: nanuq and mav1234, you guys always have well-grounded perspectives on things, i'm interested in your contributions to this as well.

#28 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:28 PM

personal experiences are part of it but the ability to empathize with others is p important as well. as i said, i grew up lower-middle class as an apolitical libertarian*; empathy developed later and here we are. i have no doubt that you could place, say, madhatter in my position and he would still manage to reach the same dumb conclusions that he's always reached. he lacks the ability to empathize with those who struggle; the only legitimate struggles are his own.

*note: many of the leftists i know were either adamant randians as kids or, like myself, apolitical but resistant to acknowledge class struggle and privilege

#29 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,530 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:46 PM

Don't want to get into my whole history, but... started out being somewhat religious.  In my teens I was a theist, believed that God had to exist, though I don't even know why I felt that way anymore.  I researched a whole slew of religions trying to find one that "fit" me and I never did.  I realized my problem was not finding a religion to fit me, but a lack of faith, so that did that in.  I've always been far too questioning for any one faith to fit me.  Nothing ever did "fit," I never could take anything on faith, because I just don't have any.

I grew up in an upper-middle class family that experienced some extreme medical emergencies in both immediate and extended family that drained all of our savings in an extremely short period of time and left my household's primary breadwinner (my mother) unable to work.  She eventually ended up on state aid in addition to disability.  I dropped out of high school, had all sorts of issues, but got a GED, did some work, went to college, got invited into a science PhD program due to my abilities.  So that covers my life? :P I guess.

#30 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,550 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:02 PM

^ cool. what do you do now? i seem to recall you mentioning working as a biologist in some context.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com