Photo
- - - - -

Why Do You Believe What You Believe? - - a thread to expound on your ideological background and how it has shaped your belief system(s)

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#31 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,530 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:11 PM

Yeah, my PhD will be in biology.  I love researching, because it gives me a chance to ask a question, propose a possible answer, and investigate that answer... and even if I think that I find the answer, I can often figure out new ways of testing my question that can lead to more informative, sometimes very different, answers.  I'm deeply involved with mentoring and teaching, as well.  My actual research is multi-faceted.  I'm more or less an evolutionary ecologist studying how organisms interact with one another.  I'm funded from a couple of different grants right now to study the evolution of disease virulence and how biodiversity may buffer communities from disease, to sum it up in a way too brief nutshell.  Happy to provide more information if anyone is interested in the how, why, etc. I actually stumbled into science from a more history/anthropology/sociology angle.  I was originally thinking I would go into poli sci or sociology or something because I was fascinated by social systems of all types when I started college.  That interest was spurred in high school after becoming disenchanted with my own brand of libertarianism when I was a teenager and I realized there were likely people far smarter and more experienced than me that probably had already thought about a lot of this stuff, so I actually started reading some Marx etc and kind of had my eyes opened.

#32 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,662 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:18 PM

I'm thinking about going back to school for Biotechnology and Aquatic sciences. 

#33 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,530 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:20 PM

If you have the interest, and can afford it, do it.  Very good career opportunities in biotech degrees.

Try your best to get into research if you're talking about an undergrad degree.  It will increase your employability ENORMOUSLY.

I can not stress that enough... if you're going into a science degree, or have a kid going into a science degree, they really need to get into research somehow.  It makes such a huge difference in so many ways.

#34 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,542 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:21 PM

nice. i'm heavily interested in physical anthropology, but i'm getting my masters in (probably) cultural anthropology and archaeology and possibly a phd if i find something i really want to latch onto. of course adopting a holistic approach to the social sciences means it's all relevant in some form or another, so it's fascinating to me.

#35 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,662 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:21 PM

If you have the interest, and can afford it, do it.

I do have the interest, rather strongly actually. I can afford it, more or less. I qualify for various grants, and I don't currently have any real debt. 

#36 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,530 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:28 PM

nice. i'm heavily interested in physical anthropology, but i'm getting my masters in (probably) cultural anthropology and archaeology and possibly a phd if i find something i really want to latch onto. of course adopting a holistic approach to the social sciences means it's all relevant in some form or another, so it's fascinating to me.

I really like anthropology, and archaeology is fascinating to me.  amusingly, one of the reasons I went to undergrad science instead of that direction was because I didn't think I'd want to be a professor, and it's a lot harder to be a pure researcher in those fields.  Turns out, I love teaching, so...

#37 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,542 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:40 PM

good stuff. i'm actually largely getting into it because i love teaching, and i want to teach at either the community college or the university level, and use summers to do research.

#38 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,530 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:42 PM

that is basically what I do now.  Though in the summer, I mentor undergraduates and masters students... so it's kind of like teaching, but cooler, because mentoring often involves teaching them how to do my work, fixing their mistakes, then being happy when they can do it well... which lasts for a month before I shift them into their own project, which then gets me a publication, yay :P

#39 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,990 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:00 PM

by possibly being twice as old as some of you, i def have the tldr version that may be epic in scope. lol

take from someone that has walked in many of you guys shoes. the things you think you know now, will vastly look different 20 years from now. what you valued then, won't be as much later and vice versa.

i like what my dad always said to me when i was even  teen. don't tell me you have a philosophy on life until you are 40. he wasn't just talking to me but to anybody under 40 who think/thought they had it figured out. ha

i'm not sure a few paragraphs would do this thread justice. so many twists and turns and crazy and amazing things i have seen and gone thru that have shaped what i believe or think is important.

so maybe bullet points to at least lay the foundation.

born at Dover AFB. delivered by a Russian doc in the throes of the Cold War.

mom and dad divorced when I was 6 as a result of the baggage from Vietnam.

can finish up tomorrow.

#40 TruthVsComfort

TruthVsComfort

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:33 PM

I am 30. I grew up in eastern NC in a rural and very poor community. My parents married when they were 18 and had me as their first child shortly thereafter (I have one younger brother). They are still happily married - and actually have photos of them together in class photos back when they were only small children. My father is a carpenter/contractor that owned his own business for about 15 years (quite successfully too), but because he started his business by purchasing equipment on credit card he was never able to catch up and ultimately went bankrupt. My mother sells Avon. I lived in trailers on dirt roads for the first 22 years of my life, and my parents still do. My family is Baptist, but my parents never really went to church or prayed or anything. I went to church a little bit as a child, but quickly became bored of it and stopped going.

I dropped out of high school and earned a GED. I went to community college – earned an Associate Degree in PrePsychology and then transferred to UNC-Wilmington to complete a Bachelors in Psychology. I am the first college graduate in my family. I then attended UNC School of Law and graduated in May 2013. I am currently studying for the July NC Bar Examination. I will be working as a divorce attorney in the Triangle.

I was religious until my mid twenties (although never practicing). I am generally pretty liberal.

#41 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 6,072 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:57 PM

I played the Whitesnake-Whitesnake album backwards in 89 and conjured a little known deity that explained to me in song some truths:

She said "you take the good..you take the bad...you take them both and there you have...the Facts of Life, The Facts of life!"

Her name is Tootie.

She is mostly harmless as I only have to offer a blood sacrifice along with a King James bibliteco coated in peanut butter to her every flag day(the day of Tootie).

My likes are long walks on the beach, and sunsets...Dislikes are fake people and liars.

#42 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

_Let's Go Royals!_

• HUDDLER
  • 17,346 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:54 AM

take from someone that has walked in many of you guys shoes. the things you think you know now, will vastly look different 20 years from now. what you valued then, won't be as much later and vice versa.

It is often humorous to read the absolute certainty posted.

#43 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,566 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:00 AM

I'm thinking about going back to school for Biotechnology and Aquatic sciences. 

I know a person in AquaCulture if you are interested in that.

#44 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,566 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:13 AM

i would really like to hear in detail from sz james, pstall, cookinwithgas, g5, stirs, kurb, panthro, and most of all KT (someone tell him his ban is lifted if he posts at length in this thread)

KT's ban is up to Zod, no one else, and was a long time coming.

#45 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,965 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:14 AM

I'll post this as a bookmark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com