Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm not sure how to title this..

68 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Nobody said to stink for another 5 years..... We need to keep our pick this year stink for 1 more year. that way we have a core or
Kemba
MKG
Jeff Taylor
Biz
#4 pick
our Top 5 pick
Future Pistons Pick (Top 8 Protected next year, top 2 in 2015, unprotected in 2016)
Future PDX Pick (Heavily restricted for 3 years)

then we can go bat poo crazy and sign or trade for whoever we can but, to lose 2 top picks and all cap flexibility for Chris Bosh is insane.

Additionally the team has sold over $1.5 M in tickets since the name change announcement. Lots of people (myself included) have already purchased tickets for the 2014-2015 Hornets season- so a bad record next year isn't the end of the world because the team will be given a hall pass... the 2014-2015 season is really the season we should be shooting for to make our run.

To Carolina Chuck's point... The reason people would prefer us sign Al Jefferson is because it doesn't cost us a top 5 pick in addition to a max contract.
Bosh is most likely the better player at this point than Al Jefferson but, he isn't better than Al Jefferson + a top 5 pick.

I prefer we conserve the cap space this summer in order to take advantage of the teams that will unload good players plus picks to avoid the luxury tax... Cleveland was able to pick up Maresse Speights and a 1st round pick because they had cap space..... Cap space is sooooo important in the new CBA.

The thing is I'm saying is Bosh and Jefferson both will bring us the same amount of win or loss. Bosh is not going to win us 15 more games than Jefferson. I rather be an 8 seed Playoffs or Top5 pick team with Bosh than Jefferson. We are not going to make the Playoffs with Bosh and be a Top5 team with Jefferson.

People are just dumb. They whined about having a franchise player and when the oppurtunity is there they say "no, thank you". It's like the unemployed workers crying about Mexican taking over jobs but when the job is there for taking they refuse it.

Posted · Report post

When the team officially takes the court as the Charlotte Hornets again, which would you rather see...

Kemba
Henderson
MKG
Jabari Parker (Projected anywhere from 2nd to 5th in mocks I've seen)
Len

*Plenty of cap space, trade pieces

or

Kemba
Henderson
MKG
Bosh (if he doesn't leave)*
Biz
*Max money tied up in a guy who doesn't deserve it

The 2nd team would be relying on an aging Bosh, a PG who can't shoot, an average SG, a SF without much offensive game at the moment, and a Center, who despite being loved by fans, is basically garbage and probably will never be above an average guy.

The 1st team remains largely the same, but adds a young, potential superstar who some have compared to Carmelo, without the issues. And then also Alex Len, a project admittedly, but one who has been compared at times to Hibbert. Not to mention cap flexibility to upgrade the SG position or whatever else is needed at the time. Don't want Parker? Get 15 years of Wiggins, Randle, Smart, a Harrison twin, or whatever over a couple years of Bosh then.

Building a team to compete is easy, and money can buy that. Get Bosh, sign Jefferson, go to the playoffs and lose in the 1st round. How many teams have done this and found ultimate success however?

Building a team to contend? Land a superstar first, or at least a few stars if you are in the Pacers mold, and go from there. How many teams have done this and won? Basically every title winner in the league's history.

A PG who can't score? Lol. Guess you don't know who Kemba is.

But, who said Bosh is taking you out of a Top5 pick? You never know what's going to happen; injuries, luck of the draft. If we somehow land a Top5, we may lose out on Wiggins, Parker, and Randle but I'd glady take Smart.

PG: Kemba
SG: Smart / Hendo
SF: MKG / Taylor
PF: Bosh
C. : Biyombo

Also, you never know if Len will bust and Parker could have a Bazz's college career.

Posted · Report post

Where did I say Kemba couldn't score?  I'll wait.  I said he can't shoot.  He's a decent player, but is not, and more than likely will not ever be a Top 10 PG.

Sweet Jesus, I've even said in this thread I believe that I don't think Bosh makes this team a playoff team.  There's hardly ANY talent here.  And obviously I'd take Smart (again, said that in this thread)...who is a PG and would force the Bobcats to trade Kemba more than likely if they went that route. I also called Len a project, and am highly skeptical of him, but if you want to play the "you never know" game, then you never know, but Bosh could come here and put up 10 and 6.  Bosh is not a franchise guy, especially at this stage in his career.  Why trade a pick for him, and pay him like one then?  Maybe you'll read this post correctly?

Posted · Report post

Just a side, Kemba's shooting numbers, pro and college...

UCONN - FG% - 47%, 40%, 43%

3P% - 27%, 34%, 33%

Cats -  FG % - 36%, 43%

3P% - 30%, 32%

Again, never said he can't score...you put those words in my mouth.  I said he can't shoot.  He's never been a shooter, and probably never will be.  

Also never underestimate the fact that numbers lie.  This is the Bobcats...somebody has to put the ball in the basket, and sadly Kemba is the best option, despite his poor shooting splits.

Posted · Report post

Horrible fail. Can't shoot? LOL OK. 

Also you're all gambling on the fact every piece we have will re-sign here, something that's, oh, just about never happened. But by all means continue telling me how picking in the top 5 for 15 years is better than being an 8 seed in the playoffs. I guess the Clippers were just rebuilding from 1984-2009 before finally getting Blake Griffin and being a short-term contender, right? They were just staying the course for 25 years?

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Just, no.  Showing facts does nothing I see.  I mean, please enlighten me on how great of a shooter Kemba is.  Please.

Not to mention throwing the Clippers out there without opening the can of worms that is their problems is just silly to try to draw a comparison to the Hornets problems.  

But if you want to use Blake as an example...they drafted him.  A potential superstar.  As well as other nice pieces and then brought a guy in to make them contenders.  They weren't, due to internal problems, Vinny, Donald Sterling, players bitching at each other, etc.  Keep throwing out dumb ass hypothetical situations like picking in the Top 5 for 15 years though, which I haven't mentioned and hasn't happened here.  I've already said in this thread, again, that there is an easy way to be a playoff contender and compete.  Buy a couple players, they're there.  They, and essentially every other team who has ever won big, haven't done that.  Please, look at the past champions and teams that made it to finals, and tell me how they were built.  They weren't striving for 8 seeds.  They gambled or got lucky by drafting or trading for a YOUNG superstar, and went from there.  

Posted · Report post

In case you need an article, showing the doubts on Kemba's shooting ON TOP of the damn stats I provided.  I'll even do you one better, his high school recruiting profile.  Weaknesses?  Perimeter and 3 point shooting.  It's always been a problem.  He's a play maker.  Not a shooter.  Again, it's the Bobcats and he's the number 1 option.  Somebody has to score.  He does, with shit percentages, largely based on the high volume of shit shots and inconsistency that has always plagued him.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_glockner/07/08/Kemba.Walker/index.html

http://miami.scout.com/a.z?s=13&p=8&c=1&nid=2742155

Posted · Report post

43% from the field is that bad? Hmm, I guess Allen Iverson must have sucked too. He spent most of his career as a sub-43% shooter. And yes, I'm going to keep bringing up the Clippers because for 25 years they did what you and others on here suggest: keep sucking, keep drafting, keep sucking, rinse, lather, repeat. This franchise has made the correct draft selection twice (Okafor, Walker) and you could maybe argue Henderson and Felton. They have an atrocious track record and in a situation where if you can get MIA to do a sign-and-trade for #4, you do it because it gets kind of old being allergic to success. At least I believe it does. But some people can look at 21-61, think "Yay Wiggins Time" and get happy again despite the fact we'd be tanking to pick a guy who plays the same position as our LAST top pick. 

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Where did I say Kemba couldn't score?  I'll wait.  I said he can't shoot.  He's a decent player, but is not, and more than likely will not ever be a Top 10 PG.

Sweet Jesus, I've even said in this thread I believe that I don't think Bosh makes this team a playoff team.  There's hardly ANY talent here.  And obviously I'd take Smart (again, said that in this thread)...who is a PG and would force the Bobcats to trade Kemba more than likely if they went that route. I also called Len a project, and am highly skeptical of him, but if you want to play the "you never know" game, then you never know, but Bosh could come here and put up 10 and 6.  Bosh is not a franchise guy, especially at this stage in his career.  Why trade a pick for him, and pay him like one then?  Maybe you'll read this post correctly?

My bad. I shouldve said "SHOOT" instead of "SCORE".
I dont give a crap about what you think. Kemba is our best shooter/scorer on this team. He has shown it times after times that he can shoot/score the ball. The kid is only in his 2nd year in the pro. He vastly improved his production last year from his rookie year, and I will only guess that he'll repeat it again in his 3rd year. Kemba has outperformed Brandon Knight who came out the same year as he did. His first two years are very similar to Jrue Holiday, who many believes to be a Top10 PG in this league. The only thing that Kemba could improve on is his APG, but he cant do nothing about that until he gets some other help.

Posted · Report post

Again, not knocking any part of Kemba EXCEPT his shooting.  43% last year was decent, yes.  Show consistency.  Until proven otherwise, he's the same guy who teetered back and forth with percentages in college.  Glass half full, yeah he may continue that rate.  His proven track record, chances are he may not.  He's good at slashing/driving/creating, much like AI, to use that comparison...but he also isn't in the same league as AI.  Iverson got to the FT line on average a couple hundred more times per season than Kemba for instance.  AI was special.  How the old management drafted also doesn't play as big of a role here, as Cho has made the right selections it seems (outside of Bismack).  As others, including Chuck who pied the above post have said, adding Bosh doesn't make this team even a guaranteed playoff contender.  So why tie up money in an aging player who may not want to be here?  You gain a band-aid to add 7-8 wins per season, while giving up a Top 5 pick, potentially in 2 drafts if it takes us out of the Top 5 in 2014?  

As for Chuck, not giving a crap what I think, doesn't exactly matter. Yes, Kemba is the best scorer/shooter...that's sad.  Doesn't mean he's great or even good at it yet.  It speaks volumes to the talent level of this team. I hope he does continue improving...the past and facts however say he's wildly inconsistent until proven otherwise. Let's say his ceiling is Jrue Holiday.  The Hornets are anything more than a borderline playoff team with Jrue Holiday as the best player?  Add Bosh to that, they're arguably still not even better than the 76ers now.  

I understand that losing sucks and it would be nice to see a playoff run, despite how short it would be right now.  Personally, I'd rather compete for titles.  There's a reason they blew the team up, and that small market teams constantly have to do it.  It's the way it is.  If you want nothing more than a random playoff win every couple years, get Bosh or sign Jefferson as a band-aid/stop-gap type guy and hope Bismack suddenly becomes a ball player, MKG develops a shot, and Kemba ascends into an elite PG.  I'd say the chances are higher they land a stud in next year's draft and then build around him.  It's just a matter of preference in the rebuilding style.  One method prefers to win consistently, but never win it all, and the other prefers to compete for the ultimate goal...an actual title.  The Heat, Mavs, Lakers, Spurs, Bulls, Celtics, Rockets, etc. who have all won titles in the last 30 years started by either drafting, or completing a draft day trade, for their superstars.  Right now, the Bobcats don't have one.  Until somebody develops into one (not likely), or they find one...mediocre is the ceiling in a small market. 

Posted · Report post

Would completely ruin any chance to rebuild the team. So help me christ if this ever happened.

Posted · Report post

Of course everyone wants to compete for titles, but the problem is, if this team doesn't start making money NOW, it's gone in a matter of a few years.  MJ won't keep bleeding money to keep this going.  Time is something we DO NOT have.  The name change will help, but fielding a fun and competitive team even if it's a low seed for a few years in the row is what this city and team NEEDS to get on a roll.  

It's like people don't realize we've been terrible and rebuilding for a decade.  If this was 8 years ago I'd be all for not signing anyone.  So I'd rather keep an NBA team in Charlotte rather hinging the franchise on "draft luck".