Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NSA Whistleblower: Hero or Villain

48 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Depends. Did he do it for fame or was he truly concerned. Considering he was actively supporting Dr Paul I'm leaning towards hero. I'm just surprised more types haven't done the same considering that a lowly private working an S3 job in the military has a security clearance and access to all kinds of material.

I don't think he did it for fame. But I think hr revealed himself to try to get out ahead of the story and try to garner some sympathy. My guess is he wants to make it
more difficult to throw him in jail. He is hoping there will be a media outcry if he gets caught and he is probably correct.

It was actually pretty smart for him to reveal himself first instead of having the government reveal him. I agree with John Boehner though, he is still a traitor to this country even if you are glad he did it.

Posted · Report post

Alright, I've not commented on this whole NSA phone/internet spying thing until now because, frankly, I didn't want to get on my soap box, but I've got to get some of this off my chest.

First let me say that I agree with those who are outraged over this. Second, let me say that I was outraged 10 years ago too, back when all this started and conservatives who are now bashing Obama were silent as Bush did the same thing in the name of counter-terrorism and liberals were calling Bush the next Hitler.

Third, if any of those conservatives think - as I heard Rush Limbaugh claim recently - that today's spying is somehow 'worse' than it was under Bush then they're either lying to themselves or just want to bash Obama some more. If you really think that in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 and passage of the patriot act that the NSA wasn't doing this to track potential terrorists then you've got rocks in your head.

Also, I've seen so many liberals/democrats who were outraged over this when Bush was in bend over backwards to defend Obama that it's making me sick. I just find it so ironic that all the right-wingers who have been bashing wiki-leaks and whistle-blowers in the past are now calling this guy a patriot. And it's not that I don't tend to agree with the sentiment, but what's happened here is absolutely no different than anything wiki-leaks has ever done. It's like the left and right have decided to flip on this issue because of who's in the White House now versus 10 years ago.

Have some guts and conviction. You're either for something or against it. We're supposed to vote for one party or the other because of what we believe, not what the parties decide we should believe/think.

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

harden stated that he was ready to come forward in 08 but gave Obama the benefit of doubt. Once he realized these policies were not scaled back, but expanded upon, thats when he began to act. But it doesn't matter what party did what. Its what we know now. I mean, I can't say any of the parties represent anything we stand for or against. So to make this another partisan issue only helps them. Plus, I'm not sure what secrets he leaked to journalist. I can't say he's a traitor, cause who knows what he really turned over to them. If its national security threats and procedures, then yeah. But if he turned over docs that reveal abuse of powers and shameful official acts, then no wonder the smear machine is out showing pictures of his ballerina girlfriend like shes a stripper. So once again the truth will never fall upon the public because DEMS and REPUBS are gonna work together to get this kid out of the lightened day.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

it is funny to watch fox news fall all over themselves over this, when they were complicit when bush initiated it after 9/11

careful what you wish for

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

The Wikileaks guy opened up all kinds of military secrets.

Thinking this guy was much more discerning in his leaks. Basically that the US was looking at all kinds of personal stuff from everyone and using Google and others to do it.

Leaks yes, but a bit different direction and purpose in the two.

Posted · Report post

What happened to Gupta Singh can happen to any of us. Just as we think we are gaining some ground, BANG! Caracter profile. Done!

Posted · Report post

Can't remember the last time I said this, but I agree 100% with John Boehner

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/06/nsa-leak-edward-snowden-john-boehner-92562.html

House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) on Tuesday called NSA leaker Edward Snowden a “traitor” and said his actions are a “giant violation of the law.”

“He’s a traitor,” Boehner said on “Good Morning America.” “The president outlined last week that these are important national security programs to help keep Americans safe and give us tools to help fight the terrorist threat we face. The disclosure of this information puts Americans at risk.”

Boehner said Congress was fully briefed on the programs and that lawyers were always present to “protect the privacy of Americans.”

“There is heavy oversight of this program, by the House Intelligence Committee on a bipartisan basis and the Senate Intelligence Committee,” Boehner said. “And that’s why I feel comfortable that we can operate this program and protect the privacy rights of our citizens.”

“When you look at these programs, there are clear safeguards.There are no Americans that are going to be snooped on in anyway unless they’re in contact with some terrorist around the world,” he said.

Posted · Report post

Playing on people's fears is a powerful tool.

The Washington Post and Pew bring us our first relevant polling data since the NSA sprung a leak the size of a 29-year-old technology contractor. The big takeaway: There's a sizeable chunk of the nation who actually wants the NSA and the rest of the intelligence community to do even more than we learned last week that it is. WaPo with the topline numbers:

Fully 45 percent of all Americans say the government should be able to go further than it is now asserting: that it should be able to monitor everyone’s online activity if this would prevent future terrorist attacks. A slender majority, 52 percent, say no such broad-based monitoring should occur. ... Overall, 56 percent of all Americans see the NSA’s accessing telephone call records of millions of Americans through secret court orders as “acceptable;” 41 percent call the practice “unacceptable.”
In 2006, when news broke of the NSA’s monitoring telephone and e-mail communications without court approval, there was initially a closer 51 percent to 47 percent divide on the practice. General priorities also are similar to 2006: 62 percent of Americans now say it’s more important for the federal government to investigate terrorist threats, even if those investigations intrude on personal privacy; 34 percent say privacy should be the focus, regardless of the effect on such investigations.

Of course, it's impossible to say how Americans feel about the most aggressive surveillance currently being carried out by the government because no one without top-secret clearance knows exactly how far the NSA has gone in its national-security efforts. You can read the poll's full results here.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/06/10/wapo_pew_nsa_poll_most_americans_don_t_care_that_the_government_is_collecting.html

Posted · Report post

I haven't read the actual POLL questions yet, but you've got to be kidding me that people want more intrusion. So many people are short sighted.

Do you want the Gov't to have store and have access to this data. It is now a tool for anyone to use against their enemies...right now the 'enemy' is label a terrorist. Next time it's the opposing political party. Or to ensure that there is only 2 parties to choose from. Any Ross Perot like ground swell will be squashed easily. There's no such thing as secure data.....

I have a friend who worked at a company as a programmer. HR needed a new program to access employee data...so a team was tasked. He had access to ALL HR data because you can't test the program w/o the real data. So a mid-level programmer now had access to the entire employee records for the entire company. He found out who was getting bonuses, raises, disciplanary actions...He was quite angered at mgmt lies about no money for increases, promotions,etc.....He quit soon thereafter. Now working for himself and increased his salary 4x.

Now I'm supposed to trust the gov't and individuals to not abuse the vast wealth of information. Sorry, people will f*ck each other for a GD percentage. 

1 person likes this