Photo
- - - - -

The Mythical "Real Job".........DA DA DAAAAAAAA!

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#31 YOLO!

YOLO!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

Well good for you. 

Not so much for myself. I went from making 700$ a week to 300$ a week. I got fired because I arrived at work 2 minutes late. 

#ImLivingTheBumLife

#32 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:55 AM

great post Z and very helpful and bang on in my opnion.

I never really ever considered bring notes or a notebook in...not sure if I've ever seen that either. 

Anyone else that has interviewed or been interviewed recently done or seen this?

I ask because I have a whole bunch of talking points and notes for myself for tomorrow more so because I know I'll be nervous and bouncing all over the place so I thought making some notes and some specific topics or examples I would like to use before hand would be useful.  I never considered bringing them in with me though!  Nice one

#33 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,104 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

Oh yeah, bringing a notebook IMO shows you put some thought into the job instead of just showing up and winging it.  I just think it's one of those little things that could set you apart from the rest.  The fact you researched the company and wrote down actual questions shows some motivation and bringing in the actual notebook is sort of "proof" that you didn't think of the questions on the fly.   I don't think any realistic employer expects you to memorize everything you want to ask and everything they tell you.  And we all we go blank sometimes when asked "do you have any questions?".   I personally hate that awkward feeling when they ask for that and you don't have any, but looking at your notebook with a few questions remedies that.  

#34 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

good point...this is an internal position I am interviewing for...so company research questions shouldn't be an issue!!!  that said, some role specific questions are a great idea.  Thanks

#35 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,714 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:50 PM

great post Z and very helpful and bang on in my opnion.

I never really ever considered bring notes or a notebook in...not sure if I've ever seen that either. 

Anyone else that has interviewed or been interviewed recently done or seen this?

I ask because I have a whole bunch of talking points and notes for myself for tomorrow more so because I know I'll be nervous and bouncing all over the place so I thought making some notes and some specific topics or examples I would like to use before hand would be useful.  I never considered bringing them in with me though!  Nice one

I've never interviewed without a notebook, or now a tablet.

#36 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

do you use it as a cheat sheet or just for questions you want to ask?  For example...if I wrote down a bunch of bullets on things I will want to talk about or use as examples for some of the questions I anticipate them asking...is that a good thing or bad?

#37 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,714 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:24 PM

I usually have a bullet list of what I want to ask, reminders of things I'd like to comment on (on the business, yourself, the janitor...whatever), a menu for the local chinese takeout, and that day's NYT crossword. 

#38 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,740 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

I just landed a pretty sweet sales position with a nice base salary+ commission, this morning. Dude flat out told me I had the job at the end of the interview, and to come in to start in the morning. I was the first interview of the day.  

I'm still going to be running that laser for the headstone company as well. 

#39 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:14 PM

congrats Floppin!

#40 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,740 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:16 PM

congrats Floppin!

Thank you thank you. 

#41 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 18,218 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:19 PM

Totally not true.  At least, for myself.

Same here

#42 YOLO!

YOLO!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:21 PM

Thank you thank you. 

Oh the irony.

#43 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches