Photo
- - - - -

The Mythical "Real Job".........DA DA DAAAAAAAA!

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#76 Bob NC

Bob NC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:50 AM

Now that is one thing I don't do.  I don't do thank you e-mails.  I feel it has kind of gone away and no one really expects them anymore, minus maybe some really true older timers.  I just make sure to let them know I appreciate their time and their consideration for the opportunity after the interview.  Maybe it's the field I'm in.  I don't think it would hurt anything though but I'm not sure you need to continue to sell yourself on it, maybe just thank them for their time.  I feel the digital age has really lowered the expectations for a thank you letter since people always have hundreds of e-mails waiting to be read anyway and snail mail is just not even considered.  But like I said, I don't think it can hurt anything :)

The thank you email is not to thank them, it's to keep your name in front of them.

#77 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,832 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

I did some math earlier today but if you were to break down my new salary compared to what I had been making its right about a doubling of my current monthly income, and that's not including any of my benefits that are included with the job :-) very excited! And relieved, I was pretty nervous these past two week because this was when they were making their final choice between me and the other person going for the job.

But I win!

#78 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 7,866 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:09 PM

I did some math earlier today but if you were to break down my new salary compared to what I had been making its right about a doubling of my current monthly income, and that's not including any of my benefits that are included with the job :-) very excited! And relieved, I was pretty nervous these past two week because this was when they were making their final choice between me and the other person going for the job.

But I win!

Be careful, it won't actually be double...taxes will start to take more and more.

#79 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,318 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:40 PM

But I win!

So you are buying everyone on the huddle a round, right?  ;)

Congratulations, and if I were you, I would take a significant portion of the extra pay and save, save, save.  In fact, if you could live like you did on the old salary and sock it all away, in a few years, your friends would be calling you big money Doc. 

Of course, I didn't do that when I got out of the Navy and went to work for Wachovia, but I hope others learn from my mistakes.  :)

#80 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,250 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:11 PM

Congrats!!!!!!

#81 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

• HUDDLER
  • 3,832 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

So you are buying everyone on the huddle a round, right?  ;)

Congratulations, and if I were you, I would take a significant portion of the extra pay and save, save, save.  In fact, if you could live like you did on the old salary and sock it all away, in a few years, your friends would be calling you big money Doc. 

Of course, I didn't do that when I got out of the Navy and went to work for Wachovia, but I hope others learn from my mistakes.  :)

haha, I'm not planning on changing how I'm living, so yeah a lot of the extra money will be going straight to the bank, but I do love to travel so there is probably a fairly high chance of a lot of that money going to future travel expenses.

but with paid vacation it wont the the complete money hole that I've been used to in the past

#82 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 12,185 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:38 PM

haha, I'm not planning on changing how I'm living, so yeah a lot of the extra money will be going straight to the bank, but I do love to travel so there is probably a fairly high chance of a lot of that money going to future travel expenses.

but with paid vacation it wont the the complete money hole that I've been used to in the past

You say that now but it will change.  Eating out a little more, buying more clothes,  getting that tv or computer you always wanted, travelling.  Will eat that extra income right up. 

#83 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,553 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

Tax man, for the most part.  I'd max out my pretax retirement funds first and foremost.  At least 15% if you can. 

#84 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,020 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

Congrats Doc....hope the job ends up bring everything that you hope it is.

#85 Raskle

Raskle

Huddle Rogue

• HUDDLER
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:29 AM

Grats Doc! Those last few days of "Are they going to pick me?" are the most nerve-wracking. Glad to see they made the right choice!

#86 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

• HUDDLER
  • 3,832 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:48 AM

You say that now but it will change. Eating out a little more, buying more clothes, getting that tv or computer you always wanted, travelling. Will eat that extra income right up.

my planned splurge before getting the job was a gym membership and trying to eat more health(which can be very expensive) and I found out on Friday that the free gym membership to the best gym in town is a benefit that ill get.

#87 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,020 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

my planned splurge before getting the job was a gym membership and trying to eat more health(which can be very expensive) and I found out on Friday that the free gym membership to the best gym in town is a benefit that ill get.

Sounds like the good news just keeps coming......congrats

#88 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 7,866 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

Tax man, for the most part.  I'd max out my pretax retirement funds first and foremost.  At least 15% if you can. 

Ha, yup.

Every time I make more money than the year before, I end up with the same amount in the end.

#89 Datawire

Datawire

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:42 PM

Wow, my employers interviews are very different from most of what I read on here.  I got to interview someone a few weeks ago.  My manager, myself, and a coworker sat across from the guy and ask him mostly technical questions.  No one really gives a crap about the touchy feely stuff.

I once had a second interview with General Electric Gas Turbines. The setting was in a very official looking  board room with me sitting isolated on one side of the table, and seven others on the opposing side of the table peppering me with quetions for an hour. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit as I did a tremendous amount of research on the company position.

#90 Datawire

Datawire

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

OH! Congrats on that new job Doc! Feels damn good doesn't it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.