Photo
- - - - -

The Mythical "Real Job".........DA DA DAAAAAAAA!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
93 replies to this topic

#91 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:21 PM

I once had a second interview with General Electric Gas Turbines. The setting was in a very official looking  board room with me sitting isolated on one side of the table, and seven others on the opposing side of the table peppering me with quetions for an hour. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit as I did a tremendous amount of research on the company position.

Did you get the job?

The interview I assisted in was for a network security engineer, primarily relating to managing corporate firewalls and information security in general. Under normal circumstances, he would have failed the interview as he missed some basic security question. Fortunately for him, the pickings were very slim. Despite a struggling economy, we have a hard time filling the positions when they become available.

#92 Datawire

Datawire

I make things Go

SUPPORTER

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:27 PM

Did you get the job?

The interview I assisted in was for a network security engineer, primarily relating to managing corporate firewalls and information security in general. Under normal circumstances, he would have failed the interview as he missed some basic security question. Fortunately for him, the pickings were very slim. Despite a struggling economy, we have a hard time filling the positions when they become available.

I did not.

I was told later by my recruiter there were 114 candidates vying for that position. It was narrowed down to two individuals, one of which was me. That lead to a third interview, in which was held. Of course at the time I had no idea only two of us remained. I had high hopes at this point being called in for a third interview as the company did vigorous screening.

The third interview was just as extensive as the second, and I felt rather confident about filling the position. The reason I thought that is because it required global travel at the time. Something I really looked forward to and being a single Man, I had the upper hand on those that were married or married with kids. I was free to leave for weeks on end if need be.

Then they hit me with a question I did not anticipate at all. Why? I don't know why. I didn't think this through enough and I think it was the reason I lost out.

Do you have a passport? No, no I don't.

My major lapse in preparation hit me like a ton of bricks. How could I not think of this!

I didn't have one at the time and I think that is why I lost that opportunity. Funny you mention your set in during the interview you had. The postion was very similar to what you mentioned.

#93 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:24 PM

I did not.

I was told later by my recruiter there were 114 candidates vying for that position. It was narrowed down to two individuals, one of which was me. That lead to a third interview, in which was held. Of course at the time I had no idea only two of us remained. I had high hopes at this point being called in for a third interview as the company did vigorous screening.

The third interview was just as extensive as the second, and I felt rather confident about filling the position. The reason I thought that is because it required global travel at the time. Something I really looked forward to and being a single Man, I had the upper hand on those that were married or married with kids. I was free to leave for weeks on end if need be.

Then they hit me with a question I did not anticipate at all. Why? I don't know why. I didn't think this through enough and I think it was the reason I lost out.

Do you have a passport? No, no I don't.

My major lapse in preparation hit me like a ton of bricks. How could I not think of this!

I didn't have one at the time and I think that is why I lost that opportunity. Funny you mention your set in during the interview you had. The postion was very similar to what you mentioned.

I got asked that same question in my interview for my current employer. 

I answered yes, I do have a passport.  MInd you, they never ask if I had a "valid" passport.  :)  The passport I had was from my Navy days, and was issued purely for travel on government business.  Ironically, I have never once traveled outside of the US in my job.  Remote access pretty much killed the necessity for that. 

#94 Gabeking

Gabeking

SUPPORTER

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:23 PM

Congrats on the job doc! What job is it exactly?