122 replies to this topic

#16 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,151 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:05 PM

i landed in atlanta, blew up one of their toilets for having the falcons, flew to mexico, zipped into town on my three-hour layover and got a beer and remembered how bad my spanish is, flew to peru, flew to the southern outpost of arequipa, met up with another archaeologist from my university who's going to be working with me, and then we took a bus to moquegua, in the middle of the peruvian desert, which doesn't really look any different from mars.

DSC04220_zps4eecad7c.jpg

got drunk as poo with my professor and some students last night (which was fun as hell, it's always fun when you hear your super-professional big-name university teacher is dropping f-bombs and ripping on idiot students from my classes. then today i started teh first day on the job hung over... got my feet wet with ceramic analysis, sorting through a box of broken pottery (referred to as "potsherds" in the business.) tomorrow i'll really get started.

there's an entire shelf of mummies.

#17 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,151 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

hey, my first pinned thread ever! this is a milestone. i'll have an acceptance speech prepared for later 

#18 YOLO!

YOLO!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:59 PM

Oh he done moved up and forgot about us.

#DontForgetWhereYouComeFrom

#19 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

Freddy Frashbear

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,691 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:26 AM

i landed in atlanta, blew up one of their toilets for having the falcons, flew to mexico, zipped into town on my three-hour layover and got a beer and remembered how bad my spanish is, flew to peru, flew to the southern outpost of arequipa, met up with another archaeologist from my university who's going to be working with me, and then we took a bus to moquegua, in the middle of the peruvian desert, which doesn't really look any different from mars.

DSC04220_zps4eecad7c.jpg

got drunk as poo with my professor and some students last night (which was fun as hell, it's always fun when you hear your super-professional big-name university teacher is dropping f-bombs and ripping on idiot students from my classes. then today i started teh first day on the job hung over... got my feet wet with ceramic analysis, sorting through a box of broken pottery (referred to as "potsherds" in the business.) tomorrow i'll really get started.

there's an entire shelf of mummies.

I had a beer with my capstone professor at the end of my last semester this past december and to be able to talk to them on that level is great.

Also it sounds like you're having an awesome time. Based on what you're doing, have you ever researched the Capuchin necropolis in Palermo? I'd just figured on throwing the subject your way you haven't been introduced to it already.

#20 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 11,012 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:39 AM

I love flying into Mexico City. Depending on the approach angle, it sometimes feels like the airplane is dodging mountains during the descent.

#21 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,151 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:53 AM

I had a beer with my capstone professor at the end of my last semester this past december and to be able to talk to them on that level is great.

Also it sounds like you're having an awesome time. Based on what you're doing, have you ever researched the Capuchin necropolis in Palermo? I'd just figured on throwing the subject your way you haven't been introduced to it already.

haven't touched it. all my poo has been north american archaeology and specializing in andean archaeology, albeit with global cultural anthropological spreads

what are you studying that has a capstone course? are you in anthro too?

#22 YOLO!

YOLO!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:05 AM

He finally got a piece of the pie.

#23 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,151 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:14 AM

here's a small shot of the storage room of the place i'm working at. it's the basement of a peruvian museum packed with thousands of boxes of artifacts, everything from ceramics to lithics to metals to botanicals to human remains (i think we have roughly 1,800 mummies stored in this basement.) basically i'm pulling these bitches out one at a time and analyzing pottery shards by quadrant from a palace on the top of a fortress about 20km north up the valley, in order to establish a minimum number of individuals (MNI in archaeological circles) of pots that were ritually smashed in the rooms to better understand ritual practices by the wari empire.

DSC04235_zpsbbe08303.jpg

it's only day two so i haven't gotten to the really exciting stuff yet, but i'll be there soon. we'll have a bioarchaeologist in here from germany in the next day or two and then the mummies will be stretched out on the lab tables smelling and poo and we'll have a good ol time. until then i'm drinking obscene amounts of rum and gingerale and pisco sours and shitty peruvian light beers and missing my wife and baby and cat. tomorrow i move permanently into my new apartment, a bargain at $6 per day.

more adventures to come

#24 YOLO!

YOLO!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:19 AM

Oh he's showing out now.

#ShowOff

#25 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,349 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:54 AM

Fap material! Keep it coming!

#26 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,614 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:52 AM

Bring me one of those old pots back.

I need something for my windowsill...

#27 j2sgam

j2sgam

cant beat the original...

• HUDDLER
  • 4,070 posts
  • Locationtryin to figure it out...

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:25 AM

Good luck & be safe Philly... I am lookin forward to seein some pics of places I will never go. You are one of few that I might envy....

#28 iBBB

iBBB

no more maybe next year.

• ALL-PRO
  • 553 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:40 AM

The first thread that i am following! lol sounds like you're having an awesome time down there. 

#29 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,151 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:12 PM

welp it's been a rough couple of days.

we're supposed to have sundays off. but yesterday i decided that since my apartment is a twenty-second walk to the narrow wooden door set in a stone fortress wall that lets me into the museum basement where i do my lab work, and since i'm a workaholic and since i really want to get some of this work knocked out, that i'd go ahead and put in a full day sunday. but sundays are dead slow and i couldn't find any place open for lunch, and after fifteen minutes of walking around the plaza de armas and up a couple main streets i finally saw a place. it was empty. i walked in, and was spotted by a server, who, incredibly expressively and over-reactively, tried to moonwalk to the front of the restaurant and went "BIIIIIIIIENVENIIIIIIIIDOOOOOSSSSSS! hahahahaha!" and led me to my seat. at first i thought he was drunk, and then i saw the cooks and other servers in the back slumped over tables surrounded by dozens of plastic cups with pisco and beer and rum and lime wedges floating in the remains, and i realized the entire staff just decided to get wasted since there was nobody there and almost certainly nobody expected to come in.

anyway i decided to stay and eat, so i ordered the pollo especial, which seemed like a good idea. the chicken was good. but it came with a little salad, which was basically shredded lettuce and some tomato slices in a sauce, and against better judgement i ate it. most likely they didn't wash it. five hours later my stomach was in excruciating knots and i spent the night shitting my bowels out over the toilet, freezing fuging cold because the landlady didn't give me a blanket with my furnished room, wide awake, hallucinating weird poo about how to change the world into a better place (i had some good ideas actually) and finally caught a few hours of fitful slumber around 5am. i was back at the museum by 9am, where i was promptly annoyed (on top of feeling like dog poo) by this peruvian guy who kept trying to hang around under the pretense of learning english, but really probably just wanted to hit on the other archaeologist that came with me because she's hot and has big boobies. not probably, definitely. my professor let him come in because he was a self-professed computer technician and her laptop's having issues, but he bugged us all the entire day, trying to help, and then asking the girl if she had a boyfriend, and for her phone number, or at least her email, and basically being a complete creeper.

so it was an insufferable day and i'm glad i'm back at the apartment. i have my blanket now and i bought some cippro over the counter for 35 soles ($13 USD) and i'm feeling a lot better. now i just need to figure out how to get this goddamn shower to give me hot water because right now it's arctic.

with all this noise out of the way i should have some legit pics and info of the work i'm doing up soon... it's pretty cool.

#30 chef17

chef17

Senior Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

i was back at the museum by 9am, where i was promptly annoyed (on top of feeling like dog poo) by this peruvian guy who kept trying to hang around under the pretense of learning english, but really probably just wanted to hit on the other archaeologist that came with me because she's hot and has big boobies.

2391006_700b.jpg

Seriously tho, just saw this thread and it sounds pretty cool. Look forward to updates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com