Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cam wants a run game

181 posts in this topic

Posted

It is going to be gun watching you implode this season when Cam is running a fraction of the amount that he has.

We are going to more if a power running game with a play action passing game. It is obvious to everyone who is paying attention

The coaches are taking about it and the players are talking about it.

Anyone that wants Cam running a fraction of what he has should get there head checked. You can argue against situational running....but a fraction of running in general is absurd.

Cam is a natural runner. He would have 500+ yards and near double digit TDs in virtually any O that gave him a little freedom.

Anyone paying attention....should realize double trouble are good. Cam potentially has historical greatnessZ

Just like last year when people said he wouldn't run...Cam will run for one simple reason....he is a significantly better rushing threat than anyone on our roster.

Also, like Jordan Gross will point out to guys like YOU...Cam is a better player when he runs

1 person likes this

Posted

I don't think anyone has a problem when Cam scrambles, or has a few well designed runs in space. 

However, too much of the short yardage, Read Option or goal line running is not good for Cam in the long run. 

Cam needs to be a QB (which I think he will be this year--as his Rookie Season, and second half of 2012), looking to throw, who runs when required.  So whether this means Cam runs for 500 yards, or 700; I don't care as long as he follows this formula. 

Obviously, the Panthers are going to attempt to pry 200-400 more rush yards out of their RB's in 2013. However, even if they don't/can't: Cam will probably throw for those yards anyway. Play Action (as it was in Cam's Rookie season) and short, intermediate passing routes, will be very helpful to Cam and the Panthers in 2013. This appears to be a key focus for them going into the upcoming season. 

Based off what we hear from the Panthers: It's not so much the Panthers are going to run more per se in 2013. They just won't be doing it out of the Read Option as much, and will attempt to reduce much of Cam's short yardage and goal line runs (along with the aforementioned short, intermediate, and play action passing). Just look at how Tolbert was used effectively toward the end of the season in short yardage/goal line situations?

Posted

Cam will still have over 500 yards rushing though. Handful of touchdowns. Bodes well for the Panthers if Cam can grab 50 yards in a game. And the superman dives at the 1 are money. Can't really stop those.

Posted

I don't think anyone has a problem when Cam scrambles, or has a few well designed runs in space.

However, too much of the short yardage, Read Option or goal line running is not good for Cam in the long run.

Cam needs to be a QB (which I think he will be this year--as his Rookie Season, and second half of 2012), looking to throw, who runs when required. So whether this means Cam runs for 500 yards, or 700; I don't care as long as he follows this formula.

Obviously, the Panthers are going to attempt to pry 200-400 more rush yards out of their RB's in 2013. However, even if they don't/can't: Cam will probably throw for those yards anyway. Play Action (as it was in Cam's Rookie season) and short, intermediate passing routes, will be very helpful to Cam and the Panthers in 2013. This appears to be a key focus for them going into the upcoming season.

Based off what we hear from the Panthers: It's not so much the Panthers are going to run more per se in 2013. They just won't be doing it out of the Read Option as much, and will attempt to reduce much of Cam's short yardage and goal line runs (along with the aforementioned short, intermediate, and play action passing). Just look at how Tolbert was used effectively toward the end of the season in short yardage/goal line situations?

Cam had always looked to throw....

If argue he sits too long looking way more often than he takes off

I think we will run the read option just as often as we always have....excluding only the first 4-5 games of 2012

Posted

Cam had always looked to throw....

If argue he sits too long looking way more often than he takes off

I think we will run the read option just as often as we always have....excluding only the first 4-5 games of 2012

The first 4-5 games were the problem. Lol. 

That's where the 'De-emphasis' of it comes from. Lol. 

No one said they were going to get rid of the Read Option altogether. Of course not. 

Posted

The first 4-5 games were the problem. Lol.

That's where the 'De-emphasis' of it comes from. Lol.

No one said they were going to get rid of the Read Option altogether. Of course not.

But is it a de-emphasis if we run it this year just like we did in 28 of 32 games with Cam?

I just think too much focus was on 4 games. Chud went full retard. Read option works and that was proven in just about every game and all the other teams that ran it just like we did on those 28 of 32 games.

Posted

The read option will be used. RR said it. but it will be used sparingly, and not as a staple.

spreading the ball to the RB's (3-4 or them to be exact) and still having the threat of Cam running... besides play action and screens with tolbert.. and well let's not forget that fact that Cam can pass too... I like the idea of more power running.

but maybe I'm just crazy. LOL

2 people like this

Posted

i was also surprised at how good tolbert turned out to be catching the ball out of the backfield.  he averaged right at 9.9 yards/reception last season.

Loves me some tolbert.

Posted

The read option will be used. RR said it. but it will be used sparingly, and not as a staple.

spreading the ball to the RB's (3-4 or them to be exact) and still having the threat of Cam running... besides play action and screens with tolbert.. and well let's not forget that fact that Cam can pass too... I like the idea of more power running.

Posted

Exactly.

It will be a wrinkle in the offense , not a focus or staple of the offense.

Those that can't accept this will be sorely disappointed...yes CRA, that is you.

Every statement and indication is that we will re-emphasize it and feature the power running if our RB stable. The coaches have said it...the players have said it. Why it is so hard for some veto understand and accept is beyond me.

Cam is our QB....not our RB.

Anyone who can't see or accept that needs their head checked.

1 person likes this

Posted

Exactly.

It will be a wrinkle in the offense , not a focus or staple of the offense.

Those that can't accept this will be sorely disappointed...yes CRA, that is you.

Every statement and indication is that we will re-emphasize it and feature the power running if our RB stable. The coaches have said it...the players have said it. Why it is so hard for some veto understand and accept is beyond me.

Cam is our QB....not our RB.

Anyone who can't see or accept that needs their head checked.

lol....

It was a wrinkle in 28 of 32 games.

What exactly can't I understand. 28 of 32 defines the read option in Carolina.....not the 4 games that started the 2012 season.

Sorry you can't accept Cam is the future and not hanging on to the repeat hope of the 2010 thousand yard RBs.

Cam is a multi dimensional force that will go down as the greatest rusher from the QB spot in NFL history....accept it. It isn't a bad thing. None of that makes him a RB. Read option nor Cam running in general is going away....

Posted

Funny how posters think they know what is going to happen despite the coaches and GM saying it won't. Forget that Gettleman says that Newton won't run much and will be used as a pocket passer.  Lets forget that Rivera said we wouldn't be emphasizing the read option and will go to a more traditional offense.

Oh that's right, Head coaches don't call plays so Shula will do what he wants to do and ignore the head coach who hired him.  And Gettleman may be the boss and have the last word on everything (which has been well documented) but he won't get involved in play calling.  Forget that he is a football guy who is at every practice. He won't have input.   Right CRA????

Truth is we are going to run everything on our playlist. Based on what we do well and who we are playing we will modify our playcalling from week to week.  But after seeing what happened to  RGIII and will happen to Kapernick or Wilson if they run like last year, there is going to be a de-emphasis on running quarterbacks.  It is just too risky and these guys get paid a ton. No GM or coach wants their QB to go down particularly on a designed running play.  Newton will run for sure, but  mostly to escape pressure or in short yardage situations.  We won't be using the read option unless we are pitching or using the dive element.  Cam will not be the top rusher on the team this year.  That you can take to the bank.

2 people like this