36 replies to this topic

#16 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Member from WAAAYY Back

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:05 AM

The good thing is, he could be right.  Nice to have hope anyway.  

I think that because Gettlemen has so much more real football experience than his predecessor, he might be able to make a difference in several areas.  Why not be positive?

Blasphamy!!!!  Being positive on the forum is absolutely forbidden.  (sarcasm)

Well at least you would think so with the end of the world members we have.

I am with you Ladypanther.

Positive is far more exciting then being negative sky is falling mentality

#17 CatScratchFever

CatScratchFever

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:19 AM

Didn't want to start another thread, but this is from the Observer today.

Five Carolina Panthers Position Battles to Watch

http://www.charlotte...s-position.html

#18 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,405 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

Didn't want to start another thread, but this is from the Observer today.
Five Carolina Panthers Position Battles to Watch

Read more here: http://www.charlotte...l#storylink=cpy

http://www.charlotte...s-position.html

I'm not liking our TE depth after Olsen. I really hope Gettleman picks someone up after training camp.

#19 O-Ther

O-Ther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • LocationMCO

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

There is no I in team. Well...unless you are RGknee. Oooh

It has always been WE in sports. Or am I somehow wrong about that?

Spinning it as though he was patting himself on the back is really reaching.

Yes, no I in team, but there is an M and an E. So team could mean AT ME to someone like RGknee.

I'm not saying anything. I'm just saying...

#20 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:01 PM

He may be great but this is corporate boilerplate speak.

Our off-season was all Gettleman's actions.The "issues" were addressed by him. He did the "positioning."

He is praising himself. Typical GM speak.

Meh, I think he's pointing out the obvious, we did have some issues, they did get addressed.   You make it seem like he didn't get any of the coaches input on the player they decided to go after.  I'm glad he's confident in the direction that he's taken this team, and I am too.   We have cap space, we didn't blow up our roster, and we added talent.  if he's really looking for a pat on the back then I'll give him one.

#21 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,609 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:57 PM

I am not sold that our OL is competitive. We are certainly better at DT and the secondary is slightly upgraded but I am not sure how many games that will win us considering our schedule.Our OL is one injury from being in the same boat we were last year.

#22 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

• HUDDLER
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:59 PM

There is no I in team. Well...unless you are RGknee. Oooh

It has always been WE in sports. Or am I somehow wrong about that?

Spinning it as though he was patting himself on the back is really reaching.

But there is an "M" and an "E".

Also theres many sports that teams arent involved in.  Track, tennis, golf...

I'm just being a smart ass dont take any of this seriously lol.

#23 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,419 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:52 PM

But there is an "M" and an "E".

Also theres many sports that teams arent involved in.  Track, tennis, golf...

I'm just being a smart ass dont take any of this seriously lol.

Man... If I have to spell everyfugingthing out for everycottonpickinfugingnitpicker out there. I swear... I drink, and I occasionally win an argument with the with.

Ah hellz, you can't take much serially around here. It would drive you to drink. Maybe that is one of the reasons most Huddlerz post drunk more than twice a month.

Stress, you want stress. Try spending the first weekend of the month at the Hatfeilds, er, inlaws.

#24 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

• HUDDLER
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:08 PM

Man... If I have to spell everyfugingthing out for everycottonpickinfugingnitpicker out there. I swear... I drink, and I occasionally win an argument with the with.

Ah hellz, you can't take much serially around here. It would drive you to drink. Maybe that is one of the reasons most Huddlerz post drunk more than twice a month.

Stress, you want stress. Try spending the first weekend of the month at the Hatfeilds, er, inlaws.

hahahahah nice.

yea i didnt start drinking till after i was a panther fan!

#25 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,558 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:11 AM

A WHOLE PIE!

Lots of good stuff here.  I am going to trust Gettlemen as a talent evaluator until he proves otherwise....his resume suggests he is good.  Like hearing what he has to say.

http://www.charlotte...s-carolina.html

Something worth remembering...

Gettleman hasn't spent the last 20 years watching Panthers football.  He's been watching teams with a lot better records of success.  Six of those teams made it to the big game, and three of them won it.

That's the kind of football he's used to watching, and that's what he expects to produce here.  If he doesn't see it, then I wouldn't expect him to just sit back and be satisfied with mediocre.  That's not what he was hired to do.

Should also be noted that what he says to the fans in public isn't necessarily what he says to the coaches in private. But the bigger point for me is that this is a guy who's used to a higher standard of consistent performance than this team has ever seen.  And I seriously doubt he's planning on relaxing that standard even a little now that full control of a team is in his hands.

Just a thought...

#26 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:58 AM

Something worth remembering...

Gettleman hasn't spent the last 20 years watching Panthers football.  He's been watching teams with a lot better records of success.  Six of those teams made it to the big game, and three of them won it.

That's the kind of football he's used to watching, and that's what he expects to produce here.  If he doesn't see it, then I wouldn't expect him to just sit back and be satisfied with mediocre.  That's not what he was hired to do.

Should also be noted that what he says to the fans in public isn't necessarily what he says to the coaches in private. But the bigger point for me is that this is a guy who's used to a higher standard of consistent performance than this team has ever seen.  And I seriously doubt he's planning on relaxing that standard even a little now that full control of a team is in his hands.

Just a thought...

Good post.

#27 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,609 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:45 AM

You are the one that got me thinking about the relationship between Rivera and Gettlemen. Two football guys watching film and talking football. For some reason, I like that scenario. Thanks for that.

Rivera and Gettlemen are two peas in a pod. If all goes as planned, they just may be together for a long time. I can live with that.

It would appear that way but I am not so sure of Gettlemens confidence in Rivera.I think he is taking a wait and see approach.Rivera has to get a better start to the season and win games that we are supposed to win and win games we are in a position to win. As always I am excited this time of year but also realize it is only June.

#28 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:19 AM

It would appear that way but I am not so sure of Gettlemens confidence in Rivera.I think he is taking a wait and see approach.Rivera has to get a better start to the season and win games that we are supposed to win and win games we are in a position to win. As always I am excited this time of year but also realize it is only June.

I doubt he is just going to sit back and wait and see what Rivera does.  He has lots of tape on him too.  Remember his statement in his initial press conference that it is his job to make everyone better?  I am sure Rivera has gotten feedback from his boss.  Don't know if Rivera can take a leap as a coach. If he can, he has a much better chance now I think.

#29 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,609 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:24 AM

I doubt he is just going to sit back and wait and see what Rivera does.  He has lots of tape on him too.  Remember his statement in his initial press conference that it is his job to make everyone better?  I am sure Rivera has gotten feedback from his boss.  Don't know if Rivera can take a leap as a coach. If he can, he has a much better chance now I think.

I did not mean to sound as though he was not going to help Rivera....sorry if it came across that way

#30 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,570 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:39 AM

Rotoworld added a little bit to the article yesterday...

Greg Olsen reportedly demonstrated great timing with Cam Newton during offseason workouts.

Although tight end friendly coach Rob Chudzinski is gone, Olsen will remain Newton's second-favorite target. Brandon LaFell has shown few signs of progress and newcomers Domenik Hixon/Ted Ginn aren't the answer. Olsen will play virtually every snap and push for over 100 targets once again, leaving him on the back-end TE1 radar.

GM Dave Gettleman admitted that he doesn't know if Jonathan Stewart (ankles) will be ready for training camp.

"We'll see. Time will tell," Gettleman said. Stewart is coming off surgery on both of his ankles and did not participate in any of the offseason program. DeAngelo Williams and Mike Tolbert split the first-team reps. If Stewart can't participate fully in camp, the likelihood of a full-blown committee to start the regular season will increase. The Carolina backfield is as cloudy as ever.

The Panthers are de-emphasizing the zone read play under new OC Mike Shula.

During OTAs and minicamps, the Panthers did not practice very many option plays. The franchise wants Cam Newton to make plays from the pocket first and use his legs to create opportunities in the scrambling game. Essentially, Shula is planning on running more of a conventional offense that features base runs to the backs. It's a good thing for Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams, but it could lead to deflated rushing stats for Newton. In his first two NFL seasons, he's rushed 253 times for a jaw-dropping 1,447 yards and 22 touchdowns.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com