CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,446 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

Link: http://www.cbssports...idnt-attend-unc

"I was close [to attending UNC]. North Carolina was a very good school but, you know, when I went down there they put me in that Carolina Inn and there was a big Ku Klux Klan rally at North Carolina when I was there. And I'm like, 'You know what? I'm not coming down here. I'm staying my butt back in Boston.'"

Ewing was born in Jamaica and moved to Cambridge, Mass., while in middle school. He said his first choice was Georgetown, his second UCLA and that Dean Smith himself suggested Ewing should pick Georgetown if opting against UNC.

#2 Iceberg Slim

Iceberg Slim

Keep it 100

• HUDDLER
  • 2,087 posts
  • Locationwhatcha worried about it for

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

I promise you this thread will go wrong, beyond your intent if it stays alive....#huddle

#3 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,446 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:50 PM

I promise you this thread will go wrong, beyond your intent if it stays alive....#huddle

Yeah, unfortunately you're right. The huddle's maturity level is that of a 14 teen year old boy.

After doing a little research, it was a rally that was being held in North Carolina and the location happened to be in Chapel Hill. It's not like he showed up to UNC and all the students decided to whip out the crosses and halloween costumes.

#4 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 12,177 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:18 PM

Yeah, unfortunately you're right. The huddle's maturity level is that of a 14 teen year old boy.

After doing a little research, it was a rally that was being held in North Carolina and the location happened to be in Chapel Hill. It's not like he showed up to UNC and all the students decided to whip out the crosses and halloween costumes.

So as long as it wasnt against Ewing it was ok? 

#5 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,446 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:22 PM

So as long as it wasnt against Ewing it was ok? 

Where do you get the notion that I inferred that anywhere my post?

It's a moron like you that clearly can't handle the maturity level that this topic requires.

My last post was in regards to fans of other teams that would want to come in this thread and say that the members of the KKK rally were UNC fans, I was simply making sure that wasn't going to happen.

#6 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 12,177 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:35 PM

I got it right here.  My maturity level can handle any discussion there is as I wont get defensive or upset and call people names.  Doesnt matter where ralleys like that shouldnt happen. Do you think Boston had KKK rallies back then.  Heck I bet NC still has them in the state today.  Difference than freedom of speech and pure hate groups.  If you are a hate group you should lose your freedom of speech and assembly.

#7 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,446 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:47 PM

I got it right here.  My maturity level can handle any discussion there is as I wont get defensive or upset and call people names.  Doesnt matter where ralleys like that shouldnt happen. Do you think Boston had KKK rallies back then.  Heck I bet NC still has them in the state today.  Difference than freedom of speech and pure hate groups.  If you are a hate group you should lose your freedom of speech and assembly.

You clearly took it out of context...

That phrase was used to show individuals that it was not fans of UNC that organized the rally. It just happened to be that the rally was located in Chapel Hill.

What part of that is hard to understand?

And people have a right to get defensive when you skew and manipulate their words... especially when you are insinuating that I think that the rally was okay.

#8 PiratePanther189

PiratePanther189

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

People place their opinions on places based on what they see, if the coaching staff at UNC allowed Ewing to see a Klan rally, I think that's a perfectly understandable reason for him to view Chapel Hill a certain way based on that specific recruiting trip.

#9 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,446 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:44 PM

People place their opinions on places based on what they see, if the coaching staff at UNC allowed Ewing to see a Klan rally, I think that's a perfectly understandable reason for him to view Chapel Hill a certain way based on that specific recruiting trip.

I don't under any circumstance think that UNC allowed him to see the rally. 

I think it might have been a case where he saw it when he arrived or possibly UNC didn't know that their was a rally going on and accidentally led a tour that happened to be where the rally was.

I find it hard to believe that UNC would show anyone (not just Ewing) a part of the city that is holding a KKK rally.

It just doesn't make sense. 

#10 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,563 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

I read the article earlier... He also said he didn't like the crickets in NC, too loud.

#11 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,446 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:29 AM

Here's a little bit more info on the Ewing to UNC story...

Patrick Ewing, a North Carolina Tar Heel? Hard to imagine, we know. But when you hear the Georgetown legend's reasoning for not picking the Tar Heels, it would be hard to knock him for not teaming up with Michael Jordan under head coach Dean Smith. Ewing appeared on "The Dan Patrick Show" and explained why he didn't head to Chapel Hill. "You know, I was close [to attending UNC]. I was close. North Carolina was a very good school but, you know, when I went down there they put me in that Carolina Inn and there was a big Ku Klux Klan rally in North Carolina when I was there," Ewing said. "And I'm like, 'You know what? I'm not coming down here. I'm staying my butt back in Boston." New York Daily News

"So the reason why you didn't go (to UNC), or the major reason, is the KKK had a rally going on at the time?" Patrick asked. "Big rally man. I was like... They stuck me in that Carolina Inn. And at night down in North Carolina it gets pitch black and I hear all the crickets and I'm jumping, I'm like 'what the heck?' I said, 'Nah, I'm going home." New York Daily News

Ewing said that Georgetown was his first choice and his second choice was UCLA. And even that Hall of Fame Tar Heels coach Dean Smith advised him to go to Georgetown if he was not going to pick North Carolina.

Crickets and the KKK

#12 iamcline

iamcline

Thou shalt not spilleth thy Red Bull!

• HUDDLER
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:19 PM

He probably made the better choice.  Everything worked out for him greatly.  Smart move.

#13 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 13,952 posts
  • Location704

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:04 AM

fuging state fans!

#14 SZ James

SZ James

1 888 CAM PAIN

• HUDDLER
  • 7,429 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:52 PM

in related news:

gBXBFb.jpg

#15 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,446 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:02 AM

in related news:

gBXBFb.jpg

Don't group us all together...

Also, that kid is an idiot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.