Photo
- - - - -

Out of the WR's on the roster who aren't 89.

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#136 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:31 AM

Ignoring the fact that Ron Rivera has absolutely ZERO involvement with team finances and therefore him benching someone because of some future cap projection is beyond retarded - the rest of your statement is so bereft of logic as to be laughable.

Williams was moved down on the depth chart because our coaching staff felt that Stewart better fit what we wanted to do as a team schematically, no other reason. They had already paid him for the year, therefore if he was the best back you play him. You don't bench him to prove you don't need him.....that's just fuging brain dead logic.

As much as I hate to agree with him I kind of do. I also believed Dwill was benched so that the team could see how they looked without him. Of course it backfired with Stewart being hurt.

#137 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,541 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:39 AM

As much as I hate to agree with him I kind of do. I also believed Dwill was benched so that the team could see how they looked without him. Of course it backfired with Stewart being hurt.

While there is the minutest of chances that this is the case, that decision and/or line if thinking would sure as poo not have come from Rivera.

Ultimately the logic fails when you realize that the goal of this business is to win games. If a superior player exists on your team, you play him. You don't bench him just to see if you can survive without him. That's assbackwards thinking. The fact is that the team believed Stewart to be superior in the scheme that they ran.

#138 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,265 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:10 AM

While there is the minutest of chances that this is the case, that decision and/or line if thinking would sure as poo not have come from Rivera.

Ultimately the logic fails when you realize that the goal of this business is to win games. If a superior player exists on your team, you play him. You don't bench him just to see if you can survive without him. That's assbackwards thinking. The fact is that the team believed Stewart to be superior in the scheme that they ran.

I agree with Floppin on this one.

I don't see it logical that Rivera using the last half of the season to experiment.  The man was absolutely doing everythign to keep his job.

I think the changes to the offense that were made jsut suited this team more...less read option and more traditional offense.

#139 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,096 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:00 PM

Offense was great in 2011 with Stewart getting more reps than Williams.

2012? Saints games excluded? A gimpy Stewart was an ever so slightly better rusher than Williams. Saints games have clouded the fact Williams wasn't good in 2012....

I think Williams was basically demoted 2 consecutive seasons bc Stewart overall is slightly better at this stage and in this offense....nothing more.

Don't forget Rivera was on the hot seat last season....who wasn't in a position to play games looking at the future

#140 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:18 PM

Offense was great in 2011 with Stewart getting more reps than Williams.

2012? Saints games excluded? A gimpy Stewart was an ever so slightly better rusher than Williams. Saints games have clouded the fact Williams wasn't good in 2012....

I think Williams was basically demoted 2 consecutive seasons bc Stewart overall is slightly better at this stage and in this offense....nothing more.

Don't forget Rivera was on the hot seat last season....who wasn't in a position to play games looking at the future

See here is where it gets tricky because we all know that JR has a lot of say as to what goes on with this football team. I think the order could have absolutely came from upstairs to start phasing dwill out. It happens all the time in sports. Rivera is back for another season and JR made that decision before hiring a gm. I'm not so sure he was in as much trouble as we think.

#141 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,096 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:34 PM

See here is where it gets tricky because we all know that JR has a lot of say as to what goes on with this football team. I think the order could have absolutely came from upstairs to start phasing dwill out. It happens all the time in sports. Rivera is back for another season and JR made that decision before hiring a gm. I'm not so sure he was in as much trouble as we think.

maybe if Williams didnt look like a shell of himself last year, most of the year..... these theories might hold more weight with me.

Williams looking average so often wasn't all his fault ....a portion was. Some of it is simply Williams not being what he was

#142 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

maybe if Williams didnt look like a shell of himself last year, most of the year..... these theories might hold more weight with me.

Williams looking average so often wasn't all his fault ....a portion was. Some of it is simply Williams not being what he was

Also remember at the end of last season Ron Rivera kept saying HE was coaching for the future to get the team ready for the future. Also none of our rbs looked good last year.

#143 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,096 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

Also remember at the end of last season Ron Rivera kept saying HE was coaching for the future to get the team ready for the future. Also none of our rbs looked good last year.

I agree neither looked good last year....and it wasn't all OL and play calling IMO causing it. We are overpaying an aging RB and injury plagued RB.

But Williams IMO earned the 2012 demotion when it happened.

#144 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

Early in the year DLo looked awful. He was stuffed constantly behind the LOS. He wasn't responsible for all of it. But Stewart,while not looking great in his own right, was playing better. Stewart and DLo both had similar YPA at 3.4. DLos' 200 yard game against NO raised his average. While you can't take that away from him, he still looked pretty bad for 13 games last season. Stewart is more versatile in pass pro, receiving and he's a hell of a runner. I love DLo, but he's not the "starter" for this team. It used to be a slight edge DLo's way. Now its a slight edge Stewies way.

#145 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,096 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:44 PM

Early in the year DLo looked awful. He was stuffed constantly behind the LOS. He wasn't responsible for all of it, but Stewart while not looking great in his own right, was playing better. Stewart and DLo both had similar YPA at 3.4. DLos' 200 yard game against NO raised his average. While you can't take that away from him, he still looked pretty bad for 13 games last season. Stewart is more versatile in pass pro, receiving and he's a hell of a runner. I love DLo, but he's not the "starter" for this team. It used to be a slight edge DLo's way. Now its a slight edge Stewies way.

This

#146 ThunderKatt

ThunderKatt

Hello to All my Haters

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • LocationIn yo moma

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

Hmmmm

#147 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,240 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:30 PM

Early in the year DLo looked awful. He was stuffed constantly behind the LOS. He wasn't responsible for all of it. But Stewart,while not looking great in his own right, was playing better. Stewart and DLo both had similar YPA at 3.4. DLos' 200 yard game against NO raised his average. While you can't take that away from him, he still looked pretty bad for 13 games last season. Stewart is more versatile in pass pro, receiving and he's a hell of a runner. I love DLo, but he's not the "starter" for this team. It used to be a slight edge DLo's way. Now its a slight edge Stewies way.

This is a pretty well thought out post. I really hate to do this...but.

DWill improved his blocking over the last 2 years. He is now a really good blocker. So there is no longer a difference between he and Stewy. I know some will dispute this, but it has been well documented that he worked hard to improve in this area.

Also, until Stewy can be, and stay, 100%, he cannot be counted on to produce at a starting RB level. The talent is there for sure. But he is never truly healthy. He can help, but he can't be the lead back if he can't be trusted to be 100%

So DWill is the logical choice to lead our running attack.

Sorry to burst anyones bubble.

#148 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:21 PM

This is a pretty well thought out post. I really hate to do this...but.

DWill improved his blocking over the last 2 years. He is now a really good blocker. So there is no longer a difference between he and Stewy. I know some will dispute this, but it has been well documented that he worked hard to improve in this area.

Also, until Stewy can be, and stay, 100%, he cannot be counted on to produce at a starting RB level. The talent is there for sure. But he is never truly healthy. He can help, but he can't be the lead back if he can't be trusted to be 100%

So DWill is the logical choice to lead our running attack.

Sorry to burst anyones bubble.

You didn't burst my bubble, but I totally disagree. And believe 100% if Stewart is ready to go week 1. He'll be the starter.

I'd also like to add that in the same time frame DLo has missed more playing time due to injury...

#149 CardiacCats

CardiacCats

• HUDDLER
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:26 PM

Carter had poor hands though, he could be wide open and flat out drop the pass.

Regarding Ginn, I've been told (countless times) that he plays scared once the pads are on, and tends to shy away from contact. So I will withhold my full judgement on him until training camp when Mike Mitchell is back there waiting to line him up and drop his ass.

THE FEARED Mike Mitchell?!

#150 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,240 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:32 PM

You didn't burst my bubble, but I totally disagree. And believe 100% if Stewart is ready to go week 1. He'll be the starter.

I'd also like to add that in the same time frame DLo has missed more playing time due to injury...

Stewy hasn't been truly healthy since he has been here. He isn't healthy at this time either. So, if he is starting week 1, it would surprise me.

Hellz, even when DWill got demoted his carries actually went up. Mainly because Stewy wasn't...wait for it...healthy.

I would love a healthy Stewy to compliment DWill. Together they are a beast of a backfield. A healthy Stewy gives us options we don't have when he is hobbled. As much as it pains me to say, a healthy Stewy may be a pipe dream. He may always have those nagging ankle problems. Sad in a way. He could help us big time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.