Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Other than DT what areas have we really improved?

52 posts in this topic

Posted

The offensive guys seem extremely confident in the interviews I've seen, I think one more year in the system and a return to the power run game has everyone feeling good. 

1 person likes this

Posted

1. DL
2. WR
3. LB
4. S

DL = Lose Ron Edwards, gain Star, Kawann, and Cole.
WR = Lose Louis Murphy, gain Hixon & Ginn Jr
LB = Lose James Anderson, gain Blackburn & Klein, Beason returns
S = Lose Nakamura, Godfrey to FS, potentially Mitchell at SS.

Posted

QB - better - played whole year healthy, learned lots of valuable lessons, showed that he learned them.

RB - marginally better - Added depth and another weapon.

WR - better - The return of injured players, the development of prospects, one more year of catching bullets from Cam and learning his nuances, oh ya and those two guys Ginn and Hixon who werent strangers to being called "playmakers" before arriving here. New systems can do wonders for a career . . . so can a new QB.

OL - better - The return of an All Pro center plus everyone else providing continuity. We'll see about Gross, but all signs are that he's still ready to ball. Adding Kugz is not too impacting to me because he's going to be learning all year I would think.

TE - same - I wouldnt rate any of the movement here significant yet

----

DT - better - lol nuff said

DE - same - so far no big changes here, but it should be noted that Alexander is in a possible break out year.

LB - better - the return of an All Pro LB and leader of our defense. The addition of some baddass depth. Wow LB is still our strongest spot by far.

CB - better - Gamble was injured and didnt return. Added a savvy vet and gave some young guns with potential a LOT of snaps last year to improve.

S - Better - Nakamura will go back to ST's if he makes the team, nuff said.

Coaching - who knows? Id like to say Chico got a year of experience but coaching is so complex that I dunno if that matters. I guess it does, but how much? whatever, different discussion maybe than what Jarhead was looking for.

Posted

In theory we upgraded qb as Cam should be better next year

Posted

to answer your Q....number one improvement : David G....#2 Shula as OC (our offense made what's his name look good-now our OC will make our offense look unbeatable)...and as things evolve we will see how good our RB's REALLY are and please don't forget OLSEN-he can catch anything as good as any other WR we could have signed...now for the unknowns: AE coming out...Gettis?...Ginn...and CAM maturing, Baby we have alot to look forward to...we have it this year, I really believe that!

1 person likes this

Posted

to answer your Q....number one improvement : David G....#2 Shula as OC (our offense made what's his name look good-now our OC will make our offense look unbeatable)...and as things evolve we will see how good our RB's REALLY are and please don't forget OLSEN-he can catch anything as good as any other WR we could have signed...now for the unknowns: AE coming out...Gettis?...Ginn...and CAM maturing, Baby we have alot to look forward to...we have it this year, I really believe that!

I think people think the present day Double Trouble are much better than they really are....

That doesn't mean they suck....but they are overrated even if underutilized the past few years at this stage. Stewart's injuries are naggin year after year....hard to imagine he isn't declining in the process. Williams wasn't impressive last year. Good....not great.

We need to run....but only for balance. The key to our offense is Cam not who runs it at RB.

Posted

We need to run....but only for balance. The key to our offense is Cam not who runs it at RB.

Agree with this statement 100%. 

The reason why the Panthers are talking about the run so much, is cause play action worked great during Cam's rookie season. And if the team is going to de-emphasize the Read Option, as we been reading and hearing, then it only makes sense that you have to have a credible run threat to play action. 

This is all to make Cam better, while keeping him as a [mostly] traditional, pocket QB (unlike some of his younger brethren and their gimmick, run based offenses). 

Posted

Agree with this statement 100%.

The reason why the Panthers are talking about the run so much, is cause play action worked great during Cam's rookie season. And if the team is going to de-emphasize the Read Option, as we been reading and hearing, then it only makes sense that you have to have a credible run threat.

This is all to make Cam better, while keeping him as a [mostly] traditional, pocket QB (unlike some of his younger brethren and their gimmick, run based offenses).

When people talk read option they only want to talk about how it was used in about 4 of 32 games. Read option big picture has been great in Carolina.

Just a new age play action

Posted

When people talk read option they only want to talk about how it was used in about 4 of 32 games. Read option big picture has been great in Carolina.

Just a new age play action

I hear ya! But I read/heard the same thing on a recent Mike Shula/Ron Rivera article on Panthers.com. Unless, the writer mis-understood, I would think he would know?

Heck, I think it even came straight from Rivera's mouth as well. Lol

They wanna make Cam/The Offense more like 2011, and the second half of 2012. 

I'd rather see more play action, and less Read Option than last year as well. 

Posted

Special teams. Ginn, Klein, Kenjon should make it a more competitive unit.

Posted

The only thing I don't want to happen with this play action is having it being the key factor for our passin game. You see how the texans use it and whenever foster gets stopped in games they fall apart because they can't long ball it to Johnson. I love the idea of it but we can't sole use that in our passing game. With all that said I think we can all agree balance in all areas is the key for success this season

Posted

QB - better - played whole year healthy, learned lots of valuable lessons, showed that he learned them.

RB - marginally better - Added depth and another weapon.

WR - better - The return of injured players, the development of prospects, one more year of catching bullets from Cam and learning his nuances, oh ya and those two guys Ginn and Hixon who werent strangers to being called "playmakers" before arriving here. New systems can do wonders for a career . . . so can a new QB.

OL - better - The return of an All Pro center plus everyone else providing continuity. We'll see about Gross, but all signs are that he's still ready to ball. Adding Kugz is not too impacting to me because he's going to be learning all year I would think.

TE - same - I wouldnt rate any of the movement here significant yet

----

DT - better - lol nuff said

DE - same - so far no big changes here, but it should be noted that Alexander is in a possible break out year.

LB - better - the return of an All Pro LB and leader of our defense. The addition of some baddass depth. Wow LB is still our strongest spot by far.

CB - better - Gamble was injured and didnt return. Added a savvy vet and gave some young guns with potential a LOT of snaps last year to improve.

S - Better - Nakamura will go back to ST's if he makes the team, nuff said.

Coaching - who knows? Id like to say Chico got a year of experience but coaching is so complex that I dunno if that matters. I guess it does, but how much? whatever, different discussion maybe than what Jarhead was looking for.

Nice summary...I concur on all points