Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Johnny Rockets

International Calling / Texting

24 posts in this topic

Rent him a satellite or international phone.

It will be cheaper than the month of international roaming.

http://www.satellitephonestore.com/

You can also buy limited pkgs from your provider.  If he has any self control at all one of their plans could be just the ticket.  If on the other hand you know he will use it and not give any thought to what its costing you them go with the rental.

I just got back from 10 days in Africa and even with heavy reliance on WiFi and very diligently turning off cellular data and data roaming when I didn't need it my bill is going to be over in the 500 ball park for those 10 days.

1 person likes this

Take his phone away and give him one can, and a really long piece of string.  Really long.  Long, long piece of string. 

And then give the other can to his GF when you choose.  Instant phone usage control. 

1 person likes this

Seriously JR?

Just tell that dude to figure it out, and not use the phone at all, once he is there.

1 person likes this

when I had my own personal phone, I would call my provider and get temporary international calling/data whenever I went to the states.  Now all I carry is a business phone so I don't care anymore.

that said...you have to do something or you will pay through your ass....that I can promise you

So you would Skype through your phone(s) I take it?

yeah, if you have a smart phone, I had my iPhone with me while I was in down town Sydney around midnight on New Years and my mom got a drunk phone call from me over Skype, btw when I did that it was over wifi, but with that said if I can find wifi in the middle of BFE brazil you can find it for sure anywhere in Finland
1 person likes this

Someone at work thinks Google Voice would work. Hmmmm....I really think I should just take his phone away from him.

Someone at work thinks Google Voice would work. Hmmmm....I really think I should just take his phone away from him.

yes you definitely should.

if you wanna be nice to him, buy him a calling card.   if you're on the hook for his overages, you're going to get f*cked.

yes you definitely should.

if you wanna be nice to him, buy him a calling card. if you're on the hook for his overages, you're going to get f*cked.

yep, my brother had unlimited minutes but his girlfriend at the time didnt and her parents ended up on the bad side of a $900 phone bill, kids don't understand the value of money unless they have to pay their own bills

Agreed, take it.

Have him get a phone over there or just use skype.

You are going to get bent over.