23 replies to this topic

#16 Johnny Rockets

Johnny Rockets

Mayor of Awesomeville

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:02 PM

Someone at work thinks Google Voice would work. Hmmmm....I really think I should just take his phone away from him.

#17 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

Someone at work thinks Google Voice would work. Hmmmm....I really think I should just take his phone away from him.

yes you definitely should.

if you wanna be nice to him, buy him a calling card.   if you're on the hook for his overages, you're going to get f*cked.

#18 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

hard and dry

#19 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

• HUDDLER
  • 3,984 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

yes you definitely should.

if you wanna be nice to him, buy him a calling card. if you're on the hook for his overages, you're going to get f*cked.

yep, my brother had unlimited minutes but his girlfriend at the time didnt and her parents ended up on the bad side of a $900 phone bill, kids don't understand the value of money unless they have to pay their own bills

#20 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,363 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

Agreed, take it.

Have him get a phone over there or just use skype.

You are going to get bent over.

#21 Mother Grabber

Mother Grabber

Gettlemagic 2.0

• ALL-PRO
  • 13,341 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:28 PM

I used Tango and Viber when the Ms was in Europe for a week.  It was ok, but requires a wifi connection, most of which suck in Europe.  I found buying time on Skype to be worth it.  $2.50 for an hour call to the Czech Republic.

#22 sharkkiller

sharkkiller

Inconceivable

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,476 posts
  • LocationSanto Domingo

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:35 PM

If he has an android or iPhone, have him download Whatsapp. It is free over wifi. I use it from here in the DR, and if you are on wifi, there is no charge.

#23 Johnny Rockets

Johnny Rockets

Mayor of Awesomeville

• HUDDLER
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:01 AM

If he has an android or iPhone, have him download Whatsapp. It is free over wifi. I use it from here in the DR, and if you are on wifi, there is no charge.

Thanks man. My GF's nephew just spent the last 5 years in Thailand and he came to visit last night and told me the same thing. I also called Sprint and they helped me lock down his phone to avoid international roaming rates and he can text for .50 a piece and receive texts for .05 cents which isn't bad. I will definitely have him use Whatsapp though.

#24 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 10,797 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:18 AM

This sucks about tmobile's new month to month business model. Years ago, you could just call and activate international service and, at least in Europe and the rest of North America, avoid international rates.
I've used mine in Germany Mexico and Canada with no charges and a friend has said he had no extra charges in the DR.
But that option is now gone.

What he could do is get a cheap prepaid phone there. Calling and texting to the US is very reasonable (much better than .50 a text, and IIRC, voice is like .02 a minute)
But if you call a mobile number in Europe from a US phone, you will get hosed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com