Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SZ James (banned)

Paula Deen

571 posts in this topic

I think genius is tossed around too easily nowadays for a variety of people.

Don't fall prey to selection bias. Yes. I just unleashed a new phrase to the huddle vernacular.

I think Kayne is exceptional at what he does. Genius? Hardly. In fact I can't think of any artist in the last 20 yrs I would consider genius worthy. Thus the sample size of high quality music across all genres are low.

photo-83.jpg?_r=1370403160

1 person likes this

I like some of his stuff. He did a good thing sampling Curtis Mayfield and even Steely Dan. His ego is a trainwreck and I think many have elevated him to heights out of not possibly having a wide scope of musical tastes.

I know a certain guy from Minneapolis that demolishes him in talent. But that's for another time.

I like some of his stuff. He did a good thing sampling Curtis Mayfield and even Steely Dan. His ego is a trainwreck and I think many have elevated him to heights out of not possibly having a wide scope of musical tastes.

I know a certain guy from Minneapolis that demolishes him in talent. But that's for another time.

or king crimson. huge crimson fan.

his ego seems like a  trainwreck. his lyrics and music say otherwise. he understands himself. but coming from someone who loves all different kinds of music. from someone who likes pantera, metallica, mcmurtry, springsteen, dylan, zeppelin, 2pac, biggie, kendrick lamar, los lobos, of monsters and men, the gourds, old crow, modest mouse, north mississippi all stars, mmj, nick cave, zz top, allman brothers, bobby womack, clutch, the white buffalo, and too many others to name. I listen to new music everyday.

I don't know why i continue on this discussion other than the fact that this guys music had such an impact on me i feel it is important. it is also important to find music that means something to you, which i have found society has found irrelevant based on the kind of music that gets put out today. Kanye is one of a kind, and we should enjoy him for his music while he is still here if we can relate to his music.

anyone talking about his ego without acknowledging his introspective tracks is being an ass

the most eye opening review of yeezus i've seen argues that "i am a god" isn't kanye trying to tell the audience that he's a god, but trying to convince himself. basically, imagine ye staring into a mirror and telling himself that, like a pep talk, then going out to a restaurant. while he's there, he still has to tell them to "hurry up with his damn croissants" (a lyric that's really dumb out of context).

like i posted in the lounge thread, yeezus is kanye realizing his internal battles and hypocrisies, leading him to scream over and over (for seemingly no reason, out of context) on one track, to sample strange fruit while rapping about relationships in another, to having that amazing charlie wilson bit in bound2, to detailing his frustrations with the fashion world, among other things, in new slaves

I also have my frustrations with the fashion world but I don't scream ranomly.

And spare me the pop Freud of rationalizing his ego. I do appreciate the effort. This just in. Most muscians are ego and acceptance driven not to mention uber insecure. I get it. Some of you are mega fans.

I also have my frustrations with the fashion world but I don't scream ranomly.

And spare me the pop Freud of rationalizing his ego. I do appreciate the effort. This just in. Most muscians are ego and acceptance driven not to mention uber insecure. I get it. Some of you are mega fans.

Meh, they are just young.

Meh, they are just young.

you wish that were the case. but sadly for you i guesss, i will be like this for the rest of my life. Understanding art as i see it.

while simplistic lyrics like

"Just us kids hangin' out today

Watchin' our long hair turnin' gray

Not so skinny, maybe not so free

Not so many as we used to be"

i will also relate to. one generation dies, another generation understands different things. to each his own. and only for the betterment of all.

Your whole body decays as you age

except for your brain of course

(lol)

There are some serious Kanye homers on this board.

There are some serious Kanye homers on this board.

I like to think of it as showing humanity. What do you think some people were saying about popular rappers back in the day. The "golden age of rap" as you have said?

this isn't being a homer, this is giving respect where respect is due.

Late Registration is where it's at.

you wish that were the case. but sadly for you i guesss, i will be like this for the rest of my life. .

You better hope not. It would be sad for you not to change after your mid 20s.