#1 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,268 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

ETSU abandoned football several years ago. ( Mike Smith is an alumnus, played linebacker there. I think he and I were there at the same time.)

So now, football is coming back. A small search committee headed by Phil Fulmer just announced Torbush as the head coach who will restart the program.

http://www.johnsonci...s-football-team

East Tennessee State University Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Dr. Richard Sander announced Friday that veteran college football coach Carl Torbush has been named to lead the Buccaneers’ new football program.

Torbush, whose career includes head coaching stops at North Carolina and Louisiana Tech, has built a strong reputation as an outstanding defensive strategist after having served as a defensive coordinator at six FBS programs, including Alabama, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Kansas, Texas A&M and UNC.

Sander said the Buccaneers needed the right person to start building the program’s foundation and prepare for the start of competitive play. The Bucs fielded a football team for over 80 seasons before disbanding the program in 2003, but it was announced earlier this year that football would return to campus by the fall of 2015.

“As we started to develop a profile for the person to lead this team, it became apparent that due to the complexities of starting a football program we needed someone with an array of experience and talent,” Sander said. “The more we identified these characteristics and qualities, it was clear that Carl Torbush met the criteria to not only lead, but to also build this program.”

Torbush said the opportunity to become head coach at ETSU and help launch the program again was something he could not pass up

#2 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,567 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

I had the privledge of working under Coach Torbush at Liberty (he was our linebackers coach).

He is a no non-sense type of coach that knows what it takes to win at every level.

It's amazing how how many coaches we've lost this last year. Mike Minter; our special teams coach and Adam Morris; our offensive quality control coach both left for Campbell and Torbush; our linebackers coach retired only to unretire to become the head coach of ETSU.

That's alright though, I'm happy for all those guys and Turner Gill has become a really solid coach.

Coach Torbush would always yell at me because my coffee sucked lol.

He's also a big college basketball fan, he loves Roy Williams and UNC basketball as well as Bill Self and Kansas basketball.

#3 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,268 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:29 PM

Also, some comments:

http://www.johnsonci...-football-coach

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users