Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tennis Cat Fight USA vs Russia

64 posts in this topic

Posted

It's all about Ivanovic. Too bad she hasn't been legitimately good in years though. I like Serena, she's my #2 female player. Sharapova is a whiney, annoying, overrated bitch.

Posted

I guess you're the exception. This is not even racism.

Of course it is.

Posted

There is nothing wrong with that. It's human instinct. You don't have to act ignorant. It's ok. Everybody do it. Japanese root for chinese when they're going against blacks. Italian root for french when they're going against Japanse. Nigerians root for South African when they going against chinese.....you get the point.

Dude you are barking up the wrong tree.

First I never said I didn't like the Williams sisters or that I didn't pull for them.  I do.  I always do unless one of them is playing Sharapova.

But even so, granted my favorite player in the 90's was indeed Agassi, but my second favorite player in all of tennis during that time was this guy

MaliVai-Washington.jpg

You probably don't even know who the fug he is because he never quite won a major.  He did make the Wimbledon finals one year though.

In 1996 I was pulling like crazy for Michael Chang over Boris Becker in the Australian Open finals.

I always pulled for James Blake over Andy Roddick.

Go read what I posted about Cam before anyone even thought the Panthers were going to draft him.

(BTW I would probably make out with Cam if he asked me to so I think that disqualifies me as being either racist or homophobic).

Maybe what you posted makes sense to you, but I don't even think that way.  I pull for people because I like them or their game.  Race is never been an issue when it comes to my fandom either consciously or subconsciously.   .

But carry on with your broad based assumptions of my one tongue in cheek post about patriotism.

Posted

Of course it is.

Maybe your understanding of racism and mines are different. My understanding of racism is of something that is deeply rooted in hatred. A Japanese, per se, rooting for the chinese to beat an African team in the world cup is harmless. There is no root of hatred between a Japanese and an African, so it's certain there is no malicious intent for such derived fanaticism. For racism to exist there has to be a root/history of hatred. Without a root of hatred prejudice can easily be overcome through education. But no education can overcome ones' hatred for someone who killed their family, per se.

Posted

First I never said I didn't like the Williams sisters or that I didn't pull for them.  I do.  I always do unless one of them is playing Sharapova.

But even so, granted my favorite player in the 90's was indeed Agassi, but my second favorite player in all of tennis during that time was this guy

MaliVai-Washington.jpg

You probably don't even know who the fug he is because he never quite won a major.  He did make the Wimbledon finals one year though.

In 1996 I was pulling like crazy for Michael Chang over Boris Becker in the Australian Open finals.

Go read what I posted about Cam before anyone even thought the Panthers were going to draft him.

(BTW I would probably make out with Cam if he asked me to so I think that disqualifies me as being either racist or homophobic).

Maybe what you posted makes sense to you, but I don't even think that way.  I pull for people because I like them or their game.  Race is never been an issue when it comes to my fandom either consciously or subconsciously.   .

But carry on with your broad based assumptions of my one tongue in cheek post about patriotism.

Well, maybe it's a white American thing. I was raised in a very multi-ethnic neighborhood and when Asians are playing, Asians root for Asians, Spanish root for anything spanish, Africans root for anything African, etc. And I'm sure after the game the Asians aren't conspiring how they'll deprive the blacks of their civil liberty or the blacks conspiring how to oppress the Spanish. Those people live side by side with each other going on with their daily hustle and bustle. Not everything race specific is racism.

But, I know large number of white people who root against anything non-white. Music, sport, movie, you name it. Because racism is more of a white practice many assume if they admit they root for the white guy/girl in a sporting event  because of race then they must be racist. Not true.

Posted

MaliVai-Washington.jpg

I did not call you a racist. I told you if you did root for someone for the sole reason that they were white it would be ok. It's ok, big T.

Posted

Well, maybe it's a white American thing. I was raised in a very multi-ethnic neighborhood and when Asians are playing, Asians root for Asians, Spanish root for anything spanish, Africans root for anything African, etc. And I'm sure after the game the Asians aren't conspiring how they'll deprive the blacks of their civil liberty or the blacks conspiring how to oppress the Spanish. Those people live side by side with each other going on with their daily hustle and bustle. Nothing everything race specific is racism.

But, I know large number of white people who root against anything non-white. Music, sport, movie, you name it. Because racism is more of a white practice many assume if they admit they root for the white guy/girl in a sporting event  because of race then they must be racist. Not true.

Except that it is racist. When you choose to root for someone because of the color of their skin, you, by extension, have chosen to NOT root for the other player based solely on the color of THEIR skin. You have deemed this other person, of a different skin color, to be inferior and unworthy of your support. It is a form of racial discrimination and by definition, racist. 

Posted

I did not call you a racist. I told you if you did root for someone for the sole reason that they were white it would be ok. It's ok, big T.

I did not say you called me a racist.  I just said that race has never played a factor in my own fandom. 

I am just defending myself because you implied that me being a fan of Sharapova was based on race.  I don't believe that to be true, and there is a poo ton of evidence from the people I was fans of growing up and even today that makes it hard for me to believe that it is based on race.

Posted

Except that it is racist. When you choose to root for someone because of the color of their skin, you, by extension, have chosen to NOT root for the other player based solely on the color of THEIR skin. You have deemed this other person, of a different skin color, to be inferior and unworthy of your support. It is a form of racial discrimination and by definition, racist. 

If you look at it this way then every choice is racist and malicious. Saying that shows you're probably the least honest person on this forum.

Posted

If you look at it this way then every choice is racist and malicious. Saying that shows you're probably the least honest person on this forum.

Well yes. Any choice equating worth, level, or value that's sole determining factor is the race of those in question is racist in nature.

IE saying "I'm rooting for him because he's black" is the same as saying "I'm NOT rooting for him because he's black". Both are racist statements in nature.

Posted

Well, maybe it's a white American thing. I was raised in a very multi-ethnic neighborhood and when Asians are playing, Asians root for Asians, Spanish root for anything spanish, Africans root for anything African, etc. And I'm sure after the game the Asians aren't conspiring how they'll deprive the blacks of their civil liberty or the blacks conspiring how to oppress the Spanish. Those people live side by side with each other going on with their daily hustle and bustle. Not everything race specific is racism.

I just want to point out you are conflating nationalism with racism.  Spanish people pull for Spain because they are spanish.  That is their country or their home country or their ancestral homeland.

But Asians don't pull for all other Asians.  That is just flat out false  If you ask a Korean how they feel about the Japanese you will get an answer that is every bit as vitriolic as any other group that hates another because of their complex history and Japan's 35 year rule over Korea up until the aftermath of WWII.

But basically what you are doing is comparing to very different things.  Nationalism and racism.

Posted

this is the worst thread

also serena williams looks like a woman and i'm just going to assume that none of you dudes with that super fresh "she look like man hurr" material have ever been with an athletic* woman

*or actual