Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ken Dye of Cat Crave takes Ginn with a big grain of salt.

43 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I never had much expectation of Ginn as a receiver, I'm hoping he helps us more at returner.

Posted · Report post

this article......

BRILLIANT!!!!!!

Posted · Report post

Not necessarily disagreeing but has Ginn played with a QB that is worth a poo or has the arm strength to really take advantage of his speed?

pennington was worth a shit. but obviously awful arm strength. but he did have his best season under pennington; close to 800 yards and 4 or 5 tds

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I expect him to return kicks and or punts and to come in every now and then to run deep routes to help clear out for the underneath receivers. If he happens get by the db/safety throw it, if not at least he has tied up a defender down the field.

Posted · Report post

Ginn is making 750 this year, Joe Adams around 400.  To me that is not a huge difference if we are just looking at using the guy as a returner.  I do not remember Joe Adams catching shit all year long, punts or passes so it can not be a downgrade, IMHO.

Posted · Report post

But still...

http://youtu.be/9dRz9WCgXRU

BELIEVE!
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

I know he'll do his thing in the return game, but as a WR, I'm not expecting much of anything from him. I'm expecting some Louis Murphy-esque performances from him, where he'll get open deep, but drop a deep bomb that Cam throws him.  His hands have been in question his whole career.  I don't think thats changing.

Posted · Report post

with steve smith aging and gettis a constant question we really don't have a legitimate deep threat, and ginn provides that. simply putting him into play on certain packages will open up things underneath as the safeties and corners will be forced to respect his speed. running a 3WR set with the ginn as the flanker on a go route in the interior guy (smith or lafell) on a post could be deadly if playing against an inferior safety forced to decide whether to cover deep or stay in.

of course all that is for naught unless we make sure the offensive line gives cam more than a milisecond to get the ball off, so hopefully gettleman will address any weaknesses in that position should they arise during training camp

Posted · Report post

I don't expect anything out of him.

Posted · Report post

with steve smith aging and gettis a constant question we really don't have a legitimate deep threat, and ginn provides that. simply putting him into play on certain packages will open up things underneath as the safeties and corners will be forced to respect his speed. running a 3WR set with the ginn as the flanker on a go route in the interior guy (smith or lafell) on a post could be deadly if playing against an inferior safety forced to decide whether to cover deep or stay in.

of course all that is for naught unless we make sure the offensive line gives cam more than a milisecond to get the ball off, so hopefully gettleman will address any weaknesses in that position should they arise during training camp

This.

He's here for returns and to upgrade the 3rd/4th WR spot. He's not here to replace Smitty or LaFell.

You have to respect his deep threat ability. And for that reason alone he will help every WR on the field with him.

Posted · Report post

I'll reserve my judgement until preseason!

Posted · Report post

Despite all those facts... he still is an upgrade, especially on ST. If you hear the signals about Adams, it does worry me a lot about him being our KR or PR.