Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seal (SmittyIsOurSavior)

Who Gave The Africans AIDS

97 posts in this topic

All of those articles only suggest that there were viruses that produce Immune deficiencies before this current outbreak.  That was never in question. Lots of viruses do that.  AIDs is not the same thing.  This syndrome and the global crisis is new.  It is traced back to two specific points in history. Both of which are in the mid to late 70's. But whatever.  Thousands of Africans are dieing everyday. And none of us are doing anything about it. 

You are not being specific enough here.  AIDS is the result of a progressing HIV infection, AIDS itself is not a virus though of course we refer to it as such occasionally, the distinction is important since HIV has close relationships with other viruses that helps to shed light on its origin.  We can determine the origin of HIV pretty well with modern phylogenetic reconstruction methods.  We know the rate of evolution in HIV's sequence structure so we can pretty accurately measure it's age. The endemic didn't start off as millions, as I showed you, but it did experience exponential growth.  It really is not a mystery how this shitty situation got started, though there are some things we may never know exactly (e.g., exactly what caused the first SIV jumps)

My first student ever that I trained in molecular biology techniques went on to work in a lab working to cure HIV.  So while none of us specifically are doing anything about it, that doesn't mean nobody is.

Now, this is the 21st century.  The human genome has been mapped and we as a species have an understanding of DNA that borders on the divine. NO OTHER virus is so uncottrolled. If this is a result of some sort of interaction with smallpox vaccine, or biowarfare experimentation, ignoring that might make it hard to find a cure. If that is even a goal.

I really am not sure what you're getting at here... uncontrolled in what ways?  what does our understanding of genomics have to do with that? 

You are not being specific enough here.  AIDS is the result of a progressing HIV infection, AIDS itself is not a virus though of course we refer to it as such occasionally, the distinction is important since HIV has close relationships with other viruses that helps to shed light on its origin.  We can determine the origin of HIV pretty well with modern phylogenetic reconstruction methods.  We know the rate of evolution in HIV's sequence structure so we can pretty accurately measure it's age. The endemic didn't start off as millions, as I showed you, but it did experience exponential growth.  It really is not a mystery how this shitty situation got started, though there are some things we may never know exactly (e.g., exactly what caused the first SIV jumps)

My first student ever that I trained in molecular biology techniques went on to work in a lab working to cure HIV.  So while none of us specifically are doing anything about it, that doesn't mean nobody is.

I really am not sure what you're getting at here... uncontrolled in what ways?  what does our understanding of genomics have to do with that? 

Are you claiming to be a professor of molecular biology and thus a Doctor. Can you prove it?

Are you claiming to be a professor of molecular biology and thus a Doctor. Can you prove it?

Mav is a biologist. He's spoken of it more than once. 

Mav is a biologist. He's spoken of it more than once. 

I dont know who any of you are

Oh look! A bunch of people with zero medical background giving opinions on highly complex medical topics!

Well hell I am going to pull up a chair!

did you seriously just make this post after all the weird, unfounded conclusions you've reached re: complex sociological topics? NOW education matters? lol

I honestly haven't read into it enough to truly believe it's a conspiracy either, I just loved that "that's not a question, it's a statement" line, so I had to utilize it. A good discussion starter too!!

I honestly haven't read into it enough to truly believe it's a conspiracy either, I just loved that "that's not a question, it's a statement" line, so I had to utilize it. A good discussion starter too!!