Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who should we target in FA?

104 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Pek

But I think we should make no significant signings and plan to suck one more year

Posted · Report post

even if you tank, you are still not guaranteed to get the #1 pick. its up to who the NBA wants, so you should improve your team. I want to see the bobcats bring in Kevin Martin and JJ Hickson.

Posted · Report post

Either Tyreke Evans or OJ Mayo

and JJ Hickson

Then go get the "Birdman" Chris Anderson if/when the Heat can't resign him.

Posted · Report post

If Psycho T is signed I will never support the Hornets..this would make me shun the Hornets until he left..

I never seen a guy who had such a punchable face.

Posted · Report post

Ok now that we know Zeller will probably be our stretch 4, who do we need?

I'd still love to get someone like Jefferson to play the 5 but I doubt it happens.  Since the Suns got Len they may be trying to deal Gortat who has I think one year left on his deal for a respectable 7 mill and change.   Not sure we have anything to trade other than Gordon's expiring if they need SG help but salaries don't match so we'd probably have to give up something.  I'd also want him to re-up if possible, which he may give a reasonable deal if so and give us a stop-gap for a couple of seasons.  Obviously it's entirely possible we roll with Biz-Zeller starting though.

I'm pretty sure Hickson is off the map now, if he was ever on it, with the pick of Zeller.  We want Zeller starting and Hickson probably won't want to come off the bench, and I don't see him playing the 5 either.  

I think we the biggest priority we should have is signing Hendo and then probably run with that lineup of Kemba/Hendo/MKG/Zeller/Biz with Sessions, Gordon, Taylor, Haywood coming off the bench.  I'm hoping we re-sign McRoberts as well to back up Zeller.  The problem is I'm not sure I'm really confident in Haywood being a backup with his age and injuries.  And we can't count on Tyrus offering any help, anywhere (unless Ewing smacks him around).  

Posted · Report post

I'm pretty sure Hickson is off the map now, if he was ever on it, with the pick of Zeller.  We want Zeller starting and Hickson probably won't want to come off the bench, and I don't see him playing the 5 either.  

I think we the biggest priority we should have is signing Hendo and then probably run with that lineup of Kemba/Hendo/MKG/Zeller/Biz with Sessions, Gordon, Taylor, Haywood coming off the bench.  I'm hoping we re-sign McRoberts as well to back up Zeller.  The problem is I'm not sure I'm really confident in Haywood being a backup with his age and injuries.  And we can't count on Tyrus offering any help, anywhere (unless Ewing smacks him around).  

I think Hickson played the 5 in Portland a good bit last year, and had a great year. Also a guy like Carl Landry could fit. Good veteran role players that could be appealing to other teams around trade time.

Posted · Report post

I'm not sure Hickson would want to be a backup player is the problem.  Landry turned us down last year so not sure he'd want to come this year.

Posted · Report post

Well if you look at our active roster, here is how it looks...

PG: Kemba Walker, Ramon Sessions

SG: Ben Gordon, Troy Daniels

SF: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Jeff Taylor, 

PF: Cody Zeller, Jeff Adrien, Tyrus Thomas

C: Bismack Biyombo, Brendan Haywood

This team is obviously still in rebuilding mode, so I wouldn't amnesty Tyrus Thomas until next year to clear cap space. The only player that I would cut is Jeff Adrien.

We need to sign a starting shooting guard, a backup small forward, a back up power forward, and a starting center...

I could see something like this

SG: J.R. Smith/Gerald Henderson (FA), Ben Gordon, (PO) Troy Daniels (UDFA)

SF: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Kyle Korver (FA), Jeff Taylor

PF: Cody Zeller (Draft), Josh McRoberts (FA), Tyrus Thomas

C: J.J. Hickson (FA), Bismack Biyombo, Brendan Haywood

Posted · Report post

I'm not sure Hickson would want to be a backup player is the problem.  Landry turned us down last year so not sure he'd want to come this year.

Start him over Biyombo.

Biyombo would be a great guy to have come off the bench.

Posted · Report post

Both true. I suppose we could take another shot at Antawn Jamison or see what's going on with Dejaun Blair. Outside of that it's just a bunch of guys that haven't played much or well the past few years. Basically some scratch off lottery tickets.

Posted · Report post

Well if you look at our active roster, here is how it looks...

SG: Ben Gordon, Tony Daniels

SF: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Jeff Taylor, 

PF: Cody Zeller, Jeff Adrien, Tyrus Thomas

C: Bismack Biyombo, Brendan Haywood

This team is obviously still in rebuilding mode, so I wouldn't amnesty Tyrus Thomas until next year to clear cap space. The only player that I would cut is Jeff Adrien.

We need to sign a starting shooting guard, a backup small forward, a back up power forward, and a starting center...

I could see something like this

SG: J.R. Smith (FA), Ben Gordon, Tony Daniels

SF: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Kyle Korver (FA), Jeff Taylor

PF: Cody Zeller, Josh McRoberts (FA), Tyrus Thomas

C: J.J. Hickson, Bismack Biyombo, Brendan Haywood

I also imagine we're going to extend the qualifying offer to Henderson, and I don't think he'll get anything crazy in FA. So I would think he's either starter or backup at shooting guard.

Posted · Report post

I'm not sure they are ready to put Biz on the "coming off the bench" role.  I bet they go with him starting, especially paired with Zeller who is more offensive.  We'll see.

I'd rather sign Hendo back than bring in JR Smith though.