Photo
- - - - -

Joe Person's latest article. Decent Read on Robert Lester.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#25 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:09 PM

DP

take your pick which one it is....

#26 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:09 PM

I would like Lester to make the roster given we need backup free and strong safeties.  When the pads go on I hope he gets better or hopefully at least has enough flashes to make the practice squad.  Who knows if he has the potential to be a starter right away, If he doesn't make the roster, hopefully there are at least 3 other guys who are playing better than him. So he goes to the practice squad and hopefully doesn't get plucked by anyone else. No matter how well he plays, he is still a rookie and will make mistakes. I want a seasoned veteran at SS and Godfrey at free safety. If he can make plays he can be pulled up in the event of injury while gaining experience on the practice squad.

If he is the starter day 1, you have to ask yourself if this is a good thing or not.  Problem is that it will takes weeks to find out and we can't afford another slow start.  We need some one who is going to be solid from day 1. I would like any rookie to have to work their way into the starter role particularly when they weren't even drafted by working hard contributing big minutes. Hopefully both Mitchell and Campbell have great camps as well.  Going to hope for the best....................

Wouldn't it be awesome if the safety position became a strength for us instead of a big liability.

Why not believe for now, it isn't even July yet.  

#27 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:14 PM

I wouldn't be opposed to our safeties being Godfrey, Mitchell, Campbell, Lester. Campbell got brutalized last year, but it wouldn't be wise to go off of a couple of games alone.

Brutalized? Campbell actually did a decent job in covering Gonzalez and Graham. I don't know what you were watching.

#28 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:26 PM

Brutalized? Campbell actually did a decent job in covering Gonzalez and Graham. I don't know what you were watching.

I thought it was just me.......

I left last season with a real positive feeling about Campbell.  During his short time as the starter he looked physical especially in man coverage.  He wasn't afraid to pressure the TE.   I really expect him to take a big step up this year and be a solid player capable of starting. With a great front seven he can afford to play the pass and trust the other guys to stop the run in otherwise passing situations.  Play action won't be such a big threat when teams can't gain big chunks especially right up the gut.

#29 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

I thought it was just me.......
I left last season with a real positive feeling about Campbell. During his short time as the starter he looked physical especially in man coverage. He wasn't afraid to pressure the TE. I really expect him to take a big step up this year and be a solid player capable of starting. With a great front seven he can afford to play the pass and trust the other guys to stop the run in otherwise passing situations. Play action won't be such a big threat when teams can't gain big chunks especially right up the gut.

Me too. He wasn't flashy but Campbell made plays in the secondary against the League's top TEs, especially in man-to-man. The image of him breaking up passes and batting balls away from Gonzalez, Gates, and Graham was joyous. DJ was a seventh round rookie, and he held his own. What more could you ask for as a fan? I gotta take away positive feelings from his short outing. Campbell definitely deserves more snaps this upcoming season. He could be a potential starter.

#30 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

I don't put a lot of stock in what Joe Person and Robert Lester's agent have to say. But I do watch a ton of Panther football and I do think we have the potential to hang in there on the back end and dominate in the front 7.

#31 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

HUDDLER

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

Me too. He wasn't flashy but Campbell made plays in the secondary against the League's top TEs, especially in man-to-man. The image of him breaking up passes and batting balls away from Gonzalez, Gates, and Graham was joyous. DJ was a seventh round rookie, and he held his own. What more could you ask for as a fan? I gotta take away positive feelings from his short outing. Campbell definitely deserves more snaps this upcoming season. He could be a potential starter.

Joyous!