Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PhillyB

Prayer

82 posts in this topic

That's good. Jesus didn't technically have to pray but did. I think prayer is in proportion to our humility of realizing we dont have all the answers.

Some of the best prayers in the bible are the most honest ones. Be it angry or fearful or like one guy who beat his chest and just said iam a sinful man.

I don't think God cares about our eloquence or ability to wax poetically but rather being humble in heart.

1 person likes this

the wildcard in all this for me is the nature of spirituality as a whole, and the fact that with my own eyes and senses i have seen/felt things which cannot be explained by the known laws of physics. this is not to invoke a god-of-the-gaps fallacy; these experiences were in the realm of eastern physiological manifestation related to the martial arts and the use of metaphysical powers to harmonize the body, or to heal, or to destroy. with my own eyes and my own body i have seen and felt the effects of what is usually referred to as chi and its projection through oneself.

those legends of monks blowing up trees or turning on televisions with their minds or setting fire to a basket of papers without touching it - those legends have more backing them than how cool crouching tiger hidden dragon was. and it is with this caution that i approach christian spirituality, noting how 99.99999% of the western world calls bullshit on eastern physiology and spiritual activity when i know from personal experience that the opposite is true.

1 person likes this

That's good. Jesus didn't technically have to pray but did. I think prayer is in proportion to our humility of realizing we dont have all the answers.

Some of the best prayers in the bible are the most honest ones. Be it angry or fearful or like one guy who beat his chest and just said iam a sinful man.

I don't think God cares about our eloquence or ability to wax poetically but rather being humble in heart.

as a christian you don't believe prayer can inspire healing externally? or change a situation through divine intervention?

Ever watch baseball philly? Notice anything a batter does before they hit? Besides scratching..

Ever watch baseball philly? Notice anything a batter does before they hit? Besides scratching..

so you believe prayer is superstition? 

i've heard weird stuff from people i trust. like they just had a feeling they needed to send 100 bucks to a friend. turned out the guy needed that money badly. they lived across the country and hadn't talked in years.

so you believe prayer is superstition?

Nope. Its very similar to what del said. For some its help them focus and lock in on the task at hand.

I like being optimistic enough to think a miracle can happen. If it didn't happen the way I wanted or expected it doesn't mean the lesson learned can't one day be the actual miracle that was needed, not necessarily what was wanted.

Nope. Its very similar to what del said. For some its help them focus and lock in on the task at hand.

but that definition of prayer is superstition. it's a glorified version of psyching oneself out. if prayer does not inspire the agency of an external deity than it is not prayer, unless you seek to change the very definition of prayer as it has been understood in the christian tradition.

When I pray, it's everything from giving thanks, asking for help, asking for guidance, etc.

Do I think God directly listens to this and in turn my prayers effect my outcomes?  No.  But, as already said, it can serve as something to help me reflect, focus, meditate, talk issues out, etc. 

In the past, it was something I did out of habit/because it was what I was "supposed" to do.  Since I've found myself believing more in a personal and unique relationship with God as opposed to the stereotypical Southern Baptist environment I was raised in, prayer has more meaning to me.  Not only through my faith, but as a person in general, is can serve if nothing else to focus myself and realize everything from how blessed I am to what I need to work on as a person. 

1 person likes this