45 replies to this topic

#1 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,861 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

Why do people think it's OK to bash and say rude things to people about their small size?

I often get told, "you're too skinny", "you're nothing but bones" (not true btw, i'm pure fuging muscle), well "you wouldn't be so cold if you weren't so skinny".  And they always have this tone of annoyance or disgust.

Could you imagine if I said that to an overweight person. "You're too fat", "you're nothing but fat" , "you wouldn't be so hot if you weren't so fat"

I also have "friends" on FB who post stuff like "Guys hate skinny girls but love curves", "curvy girls are better than skinny girls", "Skinny girls are wimps, real women have curves"

I always keep my mouth shut and don't respond but seriously why so mean? Why is that considered OK?

#2 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,341 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

I too have endured the slings and arrows of anti-skinny bias.

Meanwhile, the older I get, the fatter my friends get.

People think they're giving you a compliment by insulting you. it's strange.

#3 catfang

catfang

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,549 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:52 AM

Why do people think it's OK to bash and say rude things to people about their small size?

I often get told, "you're too skinny", "you're nothing but bones" (not true btw, i'm pure fuging muscle), well "you wouldn't be so cold if you weren't so skinny".  And they always have this tone of annoyance or disgust.

Could you imagine if I said that to an overweight person. "You're too fat", "you're nothing but fat" , "you wouldn't be so hot if you weren't so fat"

I also have "friends" on FB who post stuff like "Guys hate skinny girls but love curves", "curvy girls are better than skinny girls", "Skinny girls are wimps, real women have curves"

I always keep my mouth shut and don't respond but seriously why so mean? Why is that considered OK?

Jealousy. 

#4 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,709 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:01 AM

I think people assume they're giving you some kind of back handed compliment...

As a general rule of politeness, unless you're REALLY good friends with someone, keep any opinions about their appearance to yourself.

Cat, next time someone says "you're too skinny", reply something along the lines of "At least I'm not fat and going to die from some heart attack or diabeetus like some people I know" and give them that disgusted look you get... see what they say then.

Next time you see that "wimp" post on fb, ask them how many pull ups they can do... :)

#5 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,148 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

some people just need to eat some chicken. preferably some of mine.

#6 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,861 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:22 AM

Next time you see that "wimp" post on fb, ask them how many pull ups they can do... :)

Damn that would have been perfect. 

#7 Johnny Rockets

Johnny Rockets

Mayor of Awesomeville

• HUDDLER
  • 6,391 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

My ex deals with this almost on a daily basis. She was a part owner of a restaurant and a snooty lady came in with her young daughter and my ex offered the little girl a free cupcake out of the pastry display. The snooty woman responded by telling my ex it looks like she should keep the cupcake and eat it herself because she was too skinny. Apparently she said it in a very mean spirited way.

My ex proceeded to thank her for her for the remark, lifted up her shirt to show her the 2 foot scar down her stomach from her 8 surgeries, and told her that she has Crohn's disease that prevents her from absorbing any food and will eventually kill her so maybe next time she should think twice before commmenting on how skinny someone is.

She gets comments like that all the time but never says anything back to people or explains why she is so skinny but I think that woman put her over the edge.

#8 scpanther22

scpanther22

• HUDDLER
  • 7,221 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:00 AM

I think it has to do with peoples underlying perception of being thin.  Since people feel being thin somehow makes you “privileged” then it makes it okay to bash you.

#9 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,529 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:03 AM

there are so many weird double standards out there that certain groups or types of people can "take it" when it comes to insults etc.

#10 j2sgam

j2sgam

cant beat the original...

• HUDDLER
  • 4,068 posts
  • Locationtryin to figure it out...

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

I may be skinny, but youre ugly & I can gain weight? Works for us heavies too....

#11 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

Cat I wouldn't sweat that poo. I am sure the people who are saying you are too skinny or whatever wish people would the same about them.

As for the rest of the huddle no twss jokes from her first sentence or "this thread sucks without pics"?

#12 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

Freddy Frashbear

• HUDDLER
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:31 AM

don't get offended because "curves" is usually codespeak for "wholelottacellulite" on FB

#13 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,709 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:33 AM

I don't think most of you guys could handle it if Cat posted pics on here...

#14 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 10,994 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

Well I've noticed big women love posting stuff about "curves" on Facebook when all they have in reality is rolls. The less-easy on the eyes type... they love posting about real beauty is on the inside.
tl;dr: women with self-esteem issues post things to make themselves feel better

#15 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,335 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:38 AM

Ignore em, my wife gets called out all the time too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com