Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newton not to lead rushing with Panthers

128 posts in this topic

Posted

i have no problem with scaling down the qb sneaks and bootlegs at the goal line

because we'll be passing it in

Posted

I agree....... he wan't be the leading rusher this year ( I expect one of the RBs to have 1,000 + yds  season ) but that doesn't mean he want rush for a good amount of yards............ i still expect him to have around 600-800yds this season....it might even increase with a better O-line , RBs and  improved receiving corp will giving opposing defense hard time due to multiple option to defend.

Not trying to single you out here sorry.

To elaborate further on the subject. I looked at the rushing leaders from last season. The only QB who had more rushing yards than Cam was Robert Griffin (815), and it's certainly arguable that this lead to his playoff injury.

The only other QB that was even close to Cam in the rushing stats was Russell Wilson with what I would consider for his abilities a reasonable number of yards at 489. Obviously this worked well for the Seahawks yes?

No other QB made the top 40 in rushing numbers.

That is where we need to be, and such goes back to what I was referring to as "balance".

Posted

Tolbert

This. That was the reason for bringing Tolbert in right?

Posted

not less read option plays. just less times cam keeps it. if cam isn't 100% sure he should keep it, give it away.

that's what i read.

You can't really do that because the read determines if he keeps it or gives it.

One of the great misconceptions about the read option is that it is designed for the QB to run. It is not. The QB keeping it is always supposed to be the last option.

I do agree that at times last year Cam may gave gotten a little impatient wanting to make a play and kept it sometimes when he should have given it.  I think that is what Shula was referring to.

1 person likes this

Posted

Sounds good, but careful what you wish for.

Posted

BTW I like what we are doing so far.  Picking up the pace, not abandoning the read option, not ignoring Cam's abilities, etc..

Just hope it comes together in the fall.

1 person likes this

Posted

BTW I like what we are doing so far.  Picking up the pace, not abandoning the read option, not ignoring Cam's abilities, etc..

Just hope it comes together in the fall.

We have done something so far?

Posted

We have done something so far?

I assume we have been installing these things and working on these things in OTAs.

But you are right I typed that hurriedly. I meant I like what we are saying right now I just hope it all comes together in the fall.

1 person likes this

Posted

I think its great if Cam isn't our leading rusher provided our actual leading rusher has more than 500 yards.

People forget how terrible we were at running the ball last year.

2 people like this

Posted

Balance. Cam not leading the team in rushing does not mean he will not run at all.

Shula knows Cam better than any other coach on the team. Cam's running threat will still be there.

Cam could of lead us in rushing his rookie year with his yardage....if the RBs ran a little worse.

Issue isn't Cam running for 600-700 yards. If he leads our team with those numbers then it is a combination of too many RBs and them not running well

Posted

Not to mention most of Cam's rushing yards came off terrible pass protection that forced him to scramble. Its not like they designed the offense around cam leading the rushing.

1 person likes this

Posted

Cam could of lead us in rushing his rookie year with his yardage....if the RBs ran a little worse.

Issue isn't Cam running for 600-700 yards. If he leads our team with those numbers then it is a combination of too many RBs and them not running well

Yes he actually nearly matched his rushing yards for 2011. What'd it get us, one more win?

My point was, if he runs for that many yards we're going nowhere once again. I don't want that.

There's a reason no other teams QB had that many rushing yards and remained reasonably healthy.