Newton not to lead rushing with Panthers

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#91 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,634 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:52 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if Cam's rushing numbers are down a bit, but rest assured, he will still be our goal line back. To tempting to not use him in the goal line.

I would be shocked.

2nf half of last year we limited the read and his goal work.....and his rush attempts where greater than first half.

If Cam is healthy he can sleep walk to 600 yards

#92 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,403 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:55 PM

Cam doesn't and shouldn't have to rush for 600 yards in order for this team to win games.

#93 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,783 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:01 PM

I agree that we should wait and see this year. But we can't do that every year. This year the whole NFL has an off season to figure out mobile QBs/read-options. No one should have any excuses when they're put up 30 points on everyone.

Fair Enough!!

#94 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,634 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:03 PM

Cam doesn't and shouldn't have to rush for 600 yards in order for this team to win games.

He can sleep walk to it and it is part of his game....his legs are literally a part of his short pass attack. His arms and legs are what gives him the limitless ceiling. You want a traditional QB then he no longer has the highest ceiling arguablely in NFL history at QB.

#95 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,403 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:16 PM

He can sleep walk to it and it is part of his game....his legs are literally a part of his short pass attack. His arms and legs are what gives him the limitless ceiling. You want a traditional QB then he no longer has the highest ceiling arguablely in NFL history at QB.

Have you ever been an NFL QB? I haven't. So how can you sit there at your computer and casually toss out these statements about how easy it is for him to do these things? Neither of us know. Let's stop downplaying it.

Why must everything be one extreme or the other? Less running doesn't mean no running at all. There's a balance.

I know you don't care for Stewart and Williams, but they are here to carry the load for their quarterback.

#96 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,634 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:21 PM

Have you ever been an NFL QB? I haven't. So how can you sit there at your computer and casually toss out these statements about how easy it is for him to do these things? Neither of us know. Let's stop downplaying it.

Why must everything be one extreme or the other? Less running doesn't mean no running at all. There's a balance.

I know you don't care for Stewart and Williams, but they are here to carry the load for their quarterback.

Have you not watched Newton? Yes, by NFL standards....running is something he is simply a natural at.

He is off to a historical and record setting pace....record shattering pace. Proof is in the pudding. Cam picking up yards with his legs is something he simply does...and does well.

No, Double Trouble is no longer here to be the offense. They are here to play a role. Provide balance....not be an offense like years ago

#97 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,331 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

Read Option and running, will get reduced, as soon as QB's--like Griffin get hurt, and NFL defenses catch up, better deal with it.

I don't disagree with doing it. Not at all. It should be used. However, it would be fools gold to think it's the long term, ultimate Craze--yet... The Redskins had a great rushing attack, and [basically] a high school offense tricking/freezing you on virtually every play. Seattle had a great defense and rushing attack, while Wilson developed into a good pocket QB. And Frisco was loaded on both sides of the ball. And Cam is just Cam.

Let's see how things look for Wash, Seattle and Frisco (and their QB's) next year before the Official Read Option/Mobile QB Anointment/Takeover?? Luckily, Kaep and Wilson, have very good teams (on paper), so we may never know, though I believe Wilson is a relatively mature pocket QB at this stage.

The read option is new to the NFL that is true. But at other levels where it is more prominent there is no evidence that read option QBs are more likely to get hurt than QBs in other types of offenses.

I for one am not worried that the read option is anymore dangerous or any less dangerous than any other offense for QBs.

#98 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,403 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

Have you not watched Newton? Yes, by NFL standards....running is something he is simply a natural at.

He is off to a historical and record setting pace....record shattering pace. Proof is in the pudding. Cam picking up yards with his legs is something he simply does...and does well.

No, Double Trouble is no longer here to be the offense. They are here to play a role. Provide balance....not be an offense like years ago

No CRA I have never watched our quarterback play football. Really lol?

Just because he wasn't on the injury report doesn't mean he wasn't getting banged up. He definitely was....

You're still twisting my words. I never said double trouble had to be the whole offense. They damn sure need to be running the football though, not to mention we have big Mike Tolbert to pound it in and he needs his too.

You're on short term and I'm on long term. We have a franchise QB, I'd like him to last more than 5 years.

#99 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,634 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:23 PM

No CRA I have never watched our quarterback play football. Really lol?

Just because he wasn't on the injury report doesn't mean he wasn't getting banged up. He definitely was....

You're still twisting my words. I never said double trouble had to be the whole offense. They damn sure need to be running the football though, not to mention we have big Mike Tolbert to pound it in and he needs his too.

You're on short term and I'm on long term. We have a franchise QB, I'd like him to last more than 5 years.

Cam obviously got banged up in the pocket and short yardage goal work.....

Running outside of the goaline work? I'm more worried about Newton getting hurt passing than running.

Let Cam be Cam. He is young. No need to try to act like the 23 yr old version needs to protect himself like he would at 37.

I am a full supporter of drastically reducing his short yardage work. His other running? No need for a reduction in that.

You said Double Trouble are here to carry the load for Cam. That is vague, so sorry I didn't get your implied meaning. They are here to be roleplayers.....most dominant position was RB not long ago in Carolina. Those days are over.

#100 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,690 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:24 PM

I don't disagree but when it is 3rd and goal on the 3 yard line, I can assure you Cam will running the ball.

It's easy for us fans to say this is stupid, but I can promise you no one in the stadium would take a field goal over Cam taking it to the end zone to prevent the potential injury. Our running backs haven't run through a wet paper bag in years.

Under Shula, I think you will see Tolbert get the ball in that situation.

#101 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,403 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:45 PM

Cam obviously got banged up in the pocket and short yardage goal work.....

Running outside of the goaline work? I'm more worried about Newton getting hurt passing than running.

Let Cam be Cam. He is young. No need to try to act like the 23 yr old version needs to protect himself like he would at 37.

I am a full supporter of drastically reducing his short yardage work. His other running? No need for a reduction in that.

You said Double Trouble are here to carry the load for Cam. That is vague, so sorry I didn't get your implied meaning. They are here to be roleplayers.....most dominant position was RB not long ago in Carolina. Those days are over.

Whether he's 24 or 34, at the end of the day he's still human.

I agree about the short yardage runs. That's really my concern, opposing players getting cheapshots in. Like I said. I don't want him to stop running altogether, and yes I realize he can get hurt in the pocket just as much.

#102 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,634 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:52 PM

Whether he's 24 or 34, at the end of the day he's still human.

I agree about the short yardage runs. That's really my concern, opposing players getting cheapshots in. Like I said. I don't want him to stop running altogether, and yes I realize he can get hurt in the pocket just as much.

Well then we both agree on the short yardage runs. Those piles are invitations for extracurricular junk and pounding. We can remove those completely...

Cam's best usage of his wheels is when he leads the league like in 2011 with the most 3rd down conversions. Those weren't just 3rd and 1 runs.....it is the 3rd and 5 or 6 when he is at his best. Passing downs. Run lanes open up....and he flops or takes a huge chunk.

I think his TDs will fluctuate more than yardage over the next couple seasons.

#103 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,637 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:55 AM

The read option is new to the NFL that is true. But at other levels where it is more prominent there is no evidence that read option QBs are more likely to get hurt than QBs in other types of offenses.

I for one am not worried that the read option is anymore dangerous or any less dangerous than any other offense for QB

An interesting blog in the offseason.  It covers the issue of injury to running quarterbacks and even includes the race card.  Something for everyone.

http://isteve.blogsp...-likely-to.html

#104 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,637 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

Well then we both agree on the short yardage runs. Those piles are invitations for extracurricular junk and pounding. We can remove those completely...

Cam's best usage of his wheels is when he leads the league like in 2011 with the most 3rd down conversions. Those weren't just 3rd and 1 runs.....it is the 3rd and 5 or 6 when he is at his best. Passing downs. Run lanes open up....and he flops or takes a huge chunk.

I think his TDs will fluctuate more than yardage over the next couple seasons.

As long as Cam doesn't get seriously hurt he can continue to run until he is 30 or so.  But eventually he will have to rely on passing versus running to earn his living.  Which is why he needs to focus on that now.  Progressive injuries whether he is in the pocket or not will take their toll like they do with every quarterback.  Quarterbacks don't run over folks they elude them which requires speeds and agility which declines with age and injury.  So really this question might be germaine for a few years but won't matter 5 years from now.  Guys like Vick no matter how fast slow down with age and wear and tear on their bodies.  Cam is no exception.  The only debate is how long can he keep it up and when will he have to give up running as a staple of his skills.

#105 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,634 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:07 PM

As long as Cam doesn't get seriously hurt he can continue to run until he is 30 or so. But eventually he will have to rely on passing versus running to earn his living. Which is why he needs to focus on that now. Progressive injuries whether he is in the pocket or not will take their toll like they do with every quarterback. Quarterbacks don't run over folks they elude them which requires speeds and agility which declines with age and injury. So really this question might be germaine for a few years but won't matter 5 years from now. Guys like Vick no matter how fast slow down with age and wear and tear on their bodies. Cam is no exception. The only debate is how long can he keep it up and when will he have to give up running as a staple of his skills.

I think he gives it up as a staple of his skills....when he retires. Again, I think the shot yardage goes soon....hopefully this year outside of the rare moment.

It was a staple for Steve Young up until the end.

Cam IMO even at an early age show decision making while running a Mike Vick never has figured out. Cam doesn't have the speed of an RGIII or Vick but he is smarter and more elusive. That will keep him running IMO without the injuries....it at least give him better odds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com