127 replies to this topic

#106 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,348 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if Cam's rushing numbers are down a bit, but rest assured, he will still be our goal line back. To tempting to not use him in the goal line.

No; especially with Tolbert there!!

#107 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,508 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

I think he gives it up as a staple of his skills....when he retires. Again, I think the shot yardage goes soon....hopefully this year outside of the rare moment.

It was a staple for Steve Young up until the end.

Cam IMO even at an early age show decision making while running a Mike Vick never has figured out. Cam doesn't have the speed of an RGIII or Vick but he is smarter and more elusive. That will keep him running IMO without the injuries....it at least give him better odds

Do you remember why Young gave it up?  Too many concussions while running so he had to retire.  And he was not a starter for 5 or 6 years. Plus Young never ran more than 75 times in any one year.  His career total was 722.  That was in 15 seasons or roughly 50 a year.  In 2 years Newton has 253 of over a 1/3 of that.  At his current pace if he does what you suggest, he will surpass Young totals by year 7 or well before he is 30.  Anyone who thinks he can keep that up without suffering the same fate is delusional. 

Then read the article about running quarterbacks.  Funny how you spin everything to your point of view despite the facts which prove like usual, you are wrong. 

#108 GoCarolina8990

GoCarolina8990

All Day

• HUDDLER
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:08 PM

Cam is going to get his rushing stats by default. I dont like to put a limit on how many rushing yards or touchdowns he could get in a given season cause after his rookie season his rushing stats were supposed to rear back quite a bit...not quite.

I just think the next step for Cam Newton is to be more efficient in the passing game which would make him unflappable

#109 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,099 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:22 PM

Do you remember why Young gave it up? Too many concussions while running so he had to retire. And he was not a starter for 5 or 6 years. Plus Young never ran more than 75 times in any one year. His career total was 722. That was in 15 seasons or roughly 50 a year. In 2 years Newton has 253 of over a 1/3 of that. At his current pace if he does what you suggest, he will surpass Young totals by year 7 or well before he is 30. Anyone who thinks he can keep that up without suffering the same fate is delusional.
Then read the article about running quarterbacks. Funny how you spin everything to your point of view despite the facts which prove like usual, you are wrong.

Steve Young was a pro bowler at 31 years old....and at 32, 33, 34, 35, 36. 37.

Why he gave it up? He didn't hang it up early. Not playing at 39 or 40 isn't "giving it up".....it is being too old to play football.

Delusional? I have already said Cam likely won't have as long if a career as a more traditional player like a Tom Brady. I just want Cam to be Cam and given the opportunity to reach his absurd ceiling. I don't want a handicapped and lesser version for the sake of a couple extra late years. Plus, it is the NFL...nothing is a given. Not using all his ability doesn't guarantee he plays longer....It just guarantees you aren't using all his abilities as a comically scary weapon

#110 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,508 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:13 AM

Steve Young was a pro bowler at 31 years old....and at 32, 33, 34, 35, 36. 37.

Why he gave it up? He didn't hang it up early. Not playing at 39 or 40 isn't "giving it up".....it is being too old to play football.

Delusional? I have already said Cam likely won't have as long if a career as a more traditional player like a Tom Brady. I just want Cam to be Cam and given the opportunity to reach his absurd ceiling. I don't want a handicapped and lesser version for the sake of a couple extra late years. Plus, it is the NFL...nothing is a given. Not using all his ability doesn't guarantee he plays longer....It just guarantees you aren't using all his abilities as a comically scary weapon

You are the king of selective information to try and make a point. How many of those pro bowl seasons did Young play 16 games that would be 3 between 1992 and 1995. He was born in 1961 so do the math. He was already 31 before he started every game in a year so age wasn't the same as a guy like Newton who started every game at 22. In 97 and 98 he played 15 games. Except for his second year in Tampa he never played more than 11. His last year he was hurt and only played 3 games due to concussions and retired.
Young was plagued by injuries throughout his career and it wasn't due to being sacked all the time. He averaged around 22 per season. The problem was getting hit running too often in an age where defenders were not as athletic. It is true that the rules do now allow more protection for quarterbacks sliding these days. Still I saw Young play all of his career and I can tell you that he had no intention of retiring until he was hurt.
The Panthers will allow Cam to scramble and occasionally on plays where he sees an opportunity to pick up chunks of yards. But fortunately Rivera has played in the league and knows what happens if you try to make quarterbacks into passing running backs. Shula was a QB as well. Chide didn't mind using him up given he was about promoting himself not keeping Cam safe for the longterm.

#111 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,099 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:20 AM

You are the king of selective information to try and make a point. How many of those pro bowl seasons did Young play 16 games that would be 3 between 1992 and 1995. He was born in 1961 so do the math. He was already 31 before he started every game in a year so age wasn't the same as a guy like Newton who started every game at 22. In 97 and 98 he played 15 games. Except for his second year in Tampa he never played more than 11. His last year he was hurt and only played 3 games due to concussions and retired.
Young was plagued by injuries throughout his career and it wasn't due to being sacked all the time. He averaged around 22 per season. The problem was getting hit running too often in an age where defenders were not as athletic. It is true that the rules do now allow more protection for quarterbacks sliding these days. Still I saw Young play all of his career and I can tell you that he had no intention of retiring until he was hurt.
The Panthers will allow Cam to scramble and occasionally on plays where he sees an opportunity to pick up chunks of yards. But fortunately Rivera has played in the league and knows what happens if you try to make quarterbacks into passing running backs. Shula was a QB as well. Chide didn't mind using him up given he was about promoting himself not keeping Cam safe for the longterm.

Steve Young was allowed to be Steve Young. YOU would have preferred he be reigned in....maybe of completed a 16 game season here or there and been LESS of a QB.

I prefer Young be Young. Cam be Cam.

38 is the age where all QBs start retiring.....runners or pocket passers. No point dwelling on young not playing as long as Vinny Testeverde.

Gotta let special guys be special. Tommorrow may not come regardless of how you try to protect them....be you can choose if you given the chance to be all they can be.

And as far as selective information.....again, it is a pot/kettle situation. You always claim everyone does X here but you.

My opinion has never changed....I endorsed drafting Cam before it was "cool". But I always had one condition on them selecting him.....had to let him be Cam. That is a given his odds won't be high pulling off a Brett Favre length of a career with no missed games.

#112 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:52 AM

1. Steve Young was very old for a player in the nfl in general. As you get older you are more injury prone. Vinny Testeverde had to be pulled out of a game when he played for us because his Achilles was sore and swelled up.

2. Steve Young got many concussions at a time when the extent of the consequences of concussions weren't known. The generation of nfl players he thrived in have been paying for undiagnosed brain damage. Nowadays there are innumerable rules put into place to protect the players, and the players know how to protect themselves on the field better.

3. Nobody wants Cam to dive head first into oblivion every single play. But like many of his runs, he can still protect himself and avoid direct contact, and he's been doing a good job of that the past two seasons. 3 if you count his last season at auburn. Downplay his participation running at the goal line or short yardage conversion situations, where the scrums get messy.

4. CRA stop getting sucked into P55's circular arguments

#113 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

Never said it wasn't effective. I just don't care for it.

Lol what a stupid comment

This is a perfect example of what sums up the huddle's lack of knowledge when it comes to what is working on offense. The biggest indictment against Chud should've been the fact that he didn't emphasize effective short passing nearly as much as he should have, not that we were selling out to the read option last year.

#114 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,508 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:02 PM

1. Steve Young was very old for a player in the nfl in general. As you get older you are more injury prone. Vinny Testeverde had to be pulled out of a game when he played for us because his Achilles was sore and swelled up.

2. Steve Young got many concussions at a time when the extent of the consequences of concussions weren't known. The generation of nfl players he thrived in have been paying for undiagnosed brain damage. Nowadays there are innumerable rules put into place to protect the players, and the players know how to protect themselves on the field better.

3. Nobody wants Cam to dive head first into oblivion every single play. But like many of his runs, he can still protect himself and avoid direct contact, and he's been doing a good job of that the past two seasons. 3 if you count his last season at auburn. Downplay his participation running at the goal line or short yardage conversion situations, where the scrums get messy.

4. CRA stop getting sucked into P55's circular arguments

That is funny calling my arguments circular coming from you and CRA.
1 Young didn't get much work until he was 30 which is why he could play so long. Being 30 or 35 isn't the issue as much as it is 10;or 15 years in the league.

2.. He never ran more than 75 timesnin a year and only 700 timesnin his career so he didn't get in nearly as much hits as Newton. Playing in a WCO offense meant he took fewer sacks and hits.
3. He is going to run. The question is how times he is going to used as a runner instead of a quarterback who can run.
Everyone. Stop paying attention to the obsessive poster in CRA and the fullnof bull troll.

#115 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

once again the principle that someone's arguing with p55's stance supercedes any rational thought he can comprehend.

you get older, you're more prone to injuries in this league, it's as simple as that

#116 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,508 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:50 PM

once again the principle that someone's arguing with p55's stance supercedes any rational thought he can comprehend.

you get older, you're more prone to injuries in this league, it's as simple as that

You may be simple but the answer is not. 35 is not old for most anything. What makes 35 old in football terms is that they have been playing and taking hits since 21 in the NFL. If a player plays sparingly for 10 years then at 30 he isn't more injury prone than a guy who is 26 and has played every down since 21. Sure old people are more injury prone but guys retire in the NFL at 25. It isn't the age but the amount of abuse they receive.
Then again maybe you struggle with this simple concept so feel free to resort to personal insults which is what you resort to when you have no clue what you are talking about.

#117 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:52 PM

yea and if an athletic 80 year old who quit football in high school wants to get back into the game he can play until he's 93!

#118 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

"guys retire at the age of 25 in the nfl"

i don't think that has as much to do with injury as it does with guys not being able to make teams because they don't have enough talent

#119 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

hey p55 remember the time you spent an entire offseason arguing to me about how a mid 30s QB was going to rebound over a year post-surgery, partially influenced by the point that he didn't have as many "nfl years" on him as other QBs his age, and how it just completely blew up in your face that year?

who doesn't know what he's talking about again?

#120 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,249 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:08 PM

yea and if an athletic 80 year old who quit football in high school wants to get back into the game he can play until he's 93!

Um,..Even under the, if I can think it then it must be true, train of thought. This one is out there.

You may want to talk to CRA, cuz he may not like you stealing his shtick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.