GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:33 PM

DOMA unconstitutional.

not in its entirety

i mean it is unconstitutional, but the supreme court didn't strike down the entire act (this time)

#17 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,515 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:35 PM

1017239_10152988814040078_1753775358_n.p

#18 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,611 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

WASHINGTON – Congressman Robert Pittenger (NC-09) issued this statement following today’s United States Supreme Court rulings on the federal Defense of Marriage Act and California’s Proposition 8:

“Today, the Supreme Court clearly stated that individual states have the right to uphold and protect the traditional definition of marriage, and that the Supreme Court does not function as an arbiter of moral disputes.

Taking a step back from the judicial activism of the past, the Supreme Court issued two narrowly focused rulings, while correctly acknowledging that voters in North Carolina and more than 30 other states have chosen to only recognize traditional marriage.

Every American has the right to be treated with dignity and respect. At the same time, I believe our government has an obligation to support the “best practices” that lead to a stable, healthy society. Across thousands of years, multiple cultures, and diverse religions, history has shown that traditional marriage is the best way to ensure the well-being of our kids. Voters in North Carolina support traditional marriage because it leads to the best possible outcome for our children and our future.”

#19 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

The penultimate sentence of the majority’s opinion is a naked declaration that “[t]his opinion and its holding are confined” to those couples “joined in same-sex marriages made lawful by the State.” Ante, at 26, 25. I have heard such “bald, unreasoned disclaimer[s]” before. Lawrence, 539 U. S., at 604. When the Court declared a constitutional right to homosexual sodomy, we were assured that the case had nothing, nothing at all to do with “whether the government must give formal recognition to any relationship that homosexual persons seek to enter.” Id., at 578. Now we are told that DOMA is invalid because it “demeans the couple, whose moral and sexual choices the Constitution protects,” ante, at 23—with an accompanying citation of Lawrence. It takes real cheek for today’s majority to assure us, as it is going out the door, that a constitutional requirement to give formal recognition to same-sex marriage is not at issue here—when what has preceded that assurance is a lecture on how superior the majority’s moral judgment in favor of same-sex marriage is to the Congress’s hateful moral judgment against it. I promise you this: The only thing that will “confine” the Court’s holding is its sense of what it can get away with.

a giant baby

#20 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,515 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:21 PM

http://www.theonion....y-marriag,32969

#21 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,811 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:13 AM

Not sure why it didn't put your post in there....

But I don't get this guy.   Is there any evidence that non-traditional marriages are less healthy for children than "traditional"?

#22 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

• HUDDLER
  • 3,869 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:28 AM

Not sure why it didn't put your post in there....

But I don't get this guy. Is there any evidence that non-traditional marriages are less healthy for children than "traditional"?

none that I know of, as far as I've ever been able to tell the main opponents of same sex marriage do it under the idea that marriage is a solely Christian custom or practice, which in reality nothing could be further then the truth.

I think it's more or less just grasping at straws to validate an opinion that's baseless

#23 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,811 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:36 AM

That's why I'm guessing.

I'd argue that same-sex marriages may statistically turn out to have more successful children because they may not take their children for granted and will always be under the microscope of everyone else.

What REALLY matters is that a child, if possible, has TWO parents that CARE about their well being.  Single parents can do all of that but it's just easier with two, and that's what we should strive for as a society.  

I feel like some people would rather a child be in a group home his/her whole life instead of a same-sex couple giving them a warm, loving home.  WTF.

#24 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,482 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:36 AM

there was some evidence that children of gay couples are bullied etc more, but I am pretty sure every study of how the children actually end up has shown no difference.

I can walk over to the psych department and ask if people want to know; there's a researcher here studying just that, lol

#25 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,811 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

there was some evidence that children of gay couples are bullied etc more, but I am pretty sure every study of how the children actually end up has shown no difference.

I can walk over to the psych department and ask if people want to know; there's a researcher here studying just that, lol

Sure, but I doubt it proves they are worse off.  I'm sure that interracial children get bulled more too, or overweight children, or short children, but we can't foresee any of that.   It's like they make same-sex couples out to be degenerates that don't contribute to society.  Whereas, I'm pretty sure there have been reports showing that they usually make more money and are less of a burden on the tax system than same-sex couples.   I'm pretty sure some people in our country expect that if they fly to San Francisco some gay degenerates are going to beat them up outside of the airport and "make them gay". 

#26 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,482 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:43 AM

I'm pretty sure some people in our country expect that if they fly to San Francisco some gay degenerates are going to beat them up outside of the airport and "make them gay". 

Well duh, how else do you explain the 49ers?

#27 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • 8,292 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:48 AM

i know this is just one specific case of a child being raised by gay parents and not an entire view of children being raised by gay parents (although I have read studies that shows no difference to heterosexual couples) but this was floating around my facebook wall, thought i would post because it's pretty cool.

#28 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,811 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:03 AM

Kid nailed it.   

#29 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

• HUDDLER
  • 3,869 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:24 AM

That's why I'm guessing.

I'd argue that same-sex marriages may statistically turn out to have more successful children because they may not take their children for granted and will always be under the microscope of everyone else.

What REALLY matters is that a child, if possible, has TWO parents that CARE about their well being. Single parents can do all of that but it's just easier with two, and that's what we should strive for as a society.

I feel like some people would rather a child be in a group home his/her whole life instead of a same-sex couple giving them a warm, loving home. WTF.

welcome to one of my biggest issues with the traditional Christian church, worst part is how they try to explain some things away, there was far more that I liked about my home church in Charlotte then not, but my one grip was how it handled the issue of homosexuality and tried to explain it away as if they were all sexually abused as kids and that's how they ended up that way.

It's purely a case of a closed in society, many of them have never stepped out of their comfort zone and never questioned the traditional thought processes that they were taught. They've been told x,y,z have been bad their entire life and because of that they never question if it really is or not.

I guess you could say I've done such a 180 on so many of my beliefs in the last 5-7 years that you could say now that I question everything before I accept anything.

#30 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • 8,292 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

this ruling is really just the backbone.

America still has a long, long way to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.