#1 Big A

Big A

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:43 AM

Last year was supposed to be the Panthers' debutante ball. A fresh coat of paint on the franchise, Cam Newton exuding confidence in his own abilities -- Carolina were gussied up to show that they were no longer the NFL's lovable losers.

Then New York happened.

Losing to the Giants served as catalyst for football disaster. Newton started to lose confidence, Ryan Kalil became a punchline, Marty Hurney lost his job, and the team were dejected. You know the story: The Panthers turned it around, everyone became happy again -- and it didn't matter that five of the team's seven wins came against sub-500 teams, at least they were winning.

The late-season turnaround was a 'get out of jail free' card for Ron Rivera, who bought himself another season. It also offered an opportunity to start over, correct their missteps, and regroup for 2013.

Why then are the Panthers still talking about what's to come, rather than keeping it in house?

Last year Kalil predicted a Super Bowl, this year Greg Hardy is gunning for 50 sacks, while Thomas Davis believes the Panthers can have the best defense in the NFL. The predictions are less far-reaching, but part of a larger problem the Panthers have had under Rivera: Not managing public expectations.

Put aside Kalil, because his manifesto was foolishness. What Hardy and Davis are saying is perfectly normal for private banter -- but why is it escaping the locker room? There's a fine line between self-confidence and public hubris, and their willingness to make these goals public shows a lack of understanding of who Carolina Panthers fans are right now.

Desperation has bred impatience, and impatience is manifesting itself as frustration. Fans are weary of the promises and the bravado, and need to see it convert to something tangible on the field. Thankfully this team isn't far away from being competitive, but it would be nice if the 53 were as quiet as church mice from now until September.

Want a prediction? I have no friggin' clue how this season will go. In past years I was able to divine some sort of information from the roster as constructed. In 2011 I predicted the team would finish 6-10, in 2012 I gave them a generous bump, up to 9-7 (which most felt was too low pre-season). This year there are simply too many variables.

Last week the fine folks at Niners Nation posed an interesting question over Twitter: Which NFL team would be the most likely to win the Super Bowl, OR finish 0-16? My answer was naturally Carolina. It's hard to find another team that has so much balancing on a knife edge.

This coaching staff will work, or it will flame out. The secondary will hold, or let everything though. Linebackers will stay healthy, or they wont. With so many unknowns, and questionable areas it's not the time to make any predictions, it's time to be quiet, and take what the season gives up.

There's a reason Steve Smith is in the media more than anybody else and never speaks a word about predictions -- he gets it.

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2013/6/25/4462190/2013-carolina-panthers-training-camp-panthers-expectations

Now back to football, Anther will continue to suck, 7-9 was an embarrassment for Saints last years, yet for Panthers,7-9 was positive improvement

#2 X-Clown

X-Clown

Positive Polly

• HUDDLER
  • 5,353 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

Yeah, fans really were happy here about our 7-9 season last year. You really have your finger on the pulse of Panther nation.

The only and I repeat only silver lining to the cloud was the ass kicking we gave the Falcons in Charlotte last year.

Oh wait, I forgot about the 2 wins against the team that went from having scored the most points in NFL history to having the worst defense in NFL history.

#3 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,548 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:55 AM

More Taints predictions from this moron? Let me remind everyone, Alicejandra is the same chick that predicted Spags would have the Saints D a top performing unit and that they would be celebrating a Super Bowl in the rape dome. Alice's football accumen, like most Taint fans, consists of lame conjecture and stupid hyperbole. She neglects the fact that her Taints have a losing record against the Panthers and that their defense is going to be garbage yet again. Vicodin boy is trying to focus on the run game so he can try to control the clock because he knows his defense is going to give up points like flood waters through a New Orleans levee.

#4 X-Clown

X-Clown

Positive Polly

• HUDDLER
  • 5,353 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:58 AM

More Taints predictions from this moron? Let me remind everyone, Alicejandra is the same chick that predicted Spags would have the Saints D a top performing unit and that they would be celebrating a Super Bowl in the rape dome. Alice's football accumen, like most Taint fans, consists of lame conjecture and stupid hyperbole.

Drew Brees also was going to be in to sign next week and Sean Payton's suspension was going to be removed/reduced. But Payton's suspension wouldn't matter because when he was out with an injury in 2011,  they were just as good with Joe Vitt. And even when Vitt was out it wouldn't matter because Drew Brees basically runs the offense. And some dude named Greg Romeus was going to have a breakout season as a pass rusher.  

#5 SCP

SCP

• HUDDLER
  • 20,548 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:05 PM

Alice has continued to show her lack of football knowledge. Her stupid posts are always an article followed by what amounts to a "Nanner Nanner boo boo" type quip that lacks any thought or football intellect. The best retort to her posts are gifs.

#6 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

We dominated time of possession though!

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,684 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:22 PM

oh great pat is going on another one of his article posting blitzes again

remember last year when he made three new threads every day about how billy bob's bayou sports blog had the saints winning the super bowl

e: oh yeah and who could forget that link he posted from tigerdroppings about how some dude who knows a guy who is friends with a person who owns a high end steakhouse in new orleans hosted sean payton and mickey loomis who were celebrating the shortening of payton's suspension.  then when it didn't happen pat denied ever believing the story even though he was repeatedly sticking up for the original source and arguing with people over it lol.

#7 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,684 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:25 PM

Drew Brees also was going to be in to sign next week and Sean Payton's suspension was going to be removed/reduced. But Payton's suspension wouldn't matter because when he was out with an injury in 2011,  they were just as good with Joe Vitt. And even when Vitt was out it wouldn't matter because Drew Brees basically runs the offense. And some dude named Greg Romeus was going to have a breakout season as a pass rusher.  

also parcells to the saints as interim head coach was a done deal

#8 X-Clown

X-Clown

Positive Polly

• HUDDLER
  • 5,353 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

Don't worry guys, Pat will tell us that he correctly predicted Cam's sophomore slump (which didn't exist) and will completely stop posting once we point out that his slump still led to 2 wins over the mighty Saints.

Oh yeah, and how the Madden curse completely ruined Calvin Johnson last year too..

#9 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,684 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:33 PM

http://www.carolinah...d/#entry1721885

edit: 

ha ha ha ha

Geauxldineye IconSaints.gif
New Orleans Saints Fan
New Orleans, La
Member since Sep 2005
1339 posts
spacer.gif
re: Never eating at Mr. John's Steakhouse  (Posted on 4/8/12 at 12:59 am to Sentrius)

Take this for what it's worth. I am good friends with a guy who is in a high position at Mr. Johns Steakhouse. He was working in the kitchen there tonight and said the rumor is true. Benson and some of the Saints brass were there for that reason. I bet its down to 8-9 games. Tuna will be hired within the next few weeks.

#10 Jangler

Jangler

that funky feeling to get you through

• HUDDLER
  • 47,836 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:50 PM

Pat/Alice is secretly a Panther Fan and won't admit it.

#11 TNPanther

TNPanther

Jimmie Rustler

• HUDDLER
  • 2,084 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

What's that Fat Pat? I can't hear you over the sound of those brooms.

#12 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,294 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:29 PM

What's that Fat Pat? I can't hear you over the sound of those brooms.

Wow that really is a deafening noise isn't it? I'm not sure whether is the most intrusive sound I've ever heard or the most beautiful.

#13 Big A

Big A

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,204 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:31 AM

More Taints predictions from this moron? Let me remind everyone, Alicejandra is the same chick that predicted Spags would have the Saints D a top performing unit and that they would be celebrating a Super Bowl in the rape dome. Alice's football accumen, like most Taint fans, consists of lame conjecture and stupid hyperbole. She neglects the fact that her Taints have a losing record against the Panthers and that their defense is going to be garbage yet again. Vicodin boy is trying to focus on the run game so he can try to control the clock because he knows his defense is going to give up points like flood waters through a New Orleans levee.

WHAT PREDICTION? I just reposted and article about Panthers I didn't see posted by anyone here. Just cause I repost something to share, it doesn't make it my personal opinion. The only statement I wrote was the different perception of our 7-9 records, that's the past so can be a prediction.

#14 SCP

SCP

• HUDDLER
  • 20,548 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:45 AM

WHAT PREDICTION? I just reposted and article about Panthers I didn't see posted by anyone here. Just cause I repost something to share, it doesn't make it my personal opinion. The only statement I wrote was the different perception of our 7-9 records, that's the past so can be a prediction.

fug you Alice. I know the meaning of your little 7-9 comment.

#15 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 14,114 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:30 AM

7-9 was an embarrassment for Saints last years

Fan since 2009 huh? Only a bandwagon jumping asshole like yourself would make a comment like this.

I guess you wouldn't know anything about the fact that it took 20 years for your boys to make the playoffs, and 43 years to get their first Superbowl appearance. After 63 years of mediocrity you guys finally won a championship.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com