Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Henderson Receives Offer, Mullens Headed To Free Agency

29 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Link: http://blogs.charlotte.com/inside_the_nba/2013/06/charlotte-bobcats-not-making-a-qualifying-offer-to-free-agent-byron-mullens.html

The first tumble-down effect of the Charlotte Bobcats drafting forward Cody Zeller came to light Friday, when president of basketball operations Rod Higgins told the Observer the team will not extend a qualifying offer to Byron Mullens, restricting his free-agency.

According to Higgins, the Bobcats would have had to block out about $4 million for Mullens next season to reserve the right to match other teams’ offers for him. With Zeller having similar “stretch 4’’ qualities at power forward – i.e. shooting range out to the 3-point line -- the team decided not to make that investment in Mullens, who averaged 10.6 points and 6.4 rebounds last season.

Mullens, acquired in a 2011 trade with the Oklahoma City Thunder, had a strong early season last year before suffering a severe ankle sprain in late December. He missed about a month, then never quite regained his form.

The Bobcats will make a qualifying offer to shooting guard Gerald Henderson, Higgins said.

The bold print is why he was not presented with a qualifying offer

Posted · Report post

BEST TWO DAYS I HAD IN A LONG TIME!!!!

First Cody then now this.

Posted · Report post

He's the ugliest human being on the planet. But other than that didnt really like his game or his soft side. It would kill me when he was always outside and jacking up threes. But he does got a stroke. He's just not dirk. But best of luck to him
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Love to have Hendo back

Posted · Report post

Zeller pretty much meant the end of Byron here.

Now plz resign McBob.

Posted · Report post

Not offering Mullens makes me think we are going to target some more bigs in FA. Long over due IMO

Posted · Report post

We traded our 2nd round pick last night to OKC for Mullens 2 seasons ago... Letting him walk indicates that was a bad move as we could have added some young talent or stashed a Euro overseas for a year or two.

Glad we are giving Hendo his QO, but I expect another team to attempt to sign him to a long term deal and the real question will be if we match that or believe there are better options elsewhere for the value. Going to be interesting week next week when Free Agency starts.

Posted · Report post

Not offering Mullens makes me think we are going to target some more bigs in FA. Long over due IMO

I am thinking JJ Hickson is going to be looking for around 7-8 mil a season.  I'm on board with him. 

Posted · Report post

I am thinking JJ Hickson is going to be looking for around 7-8 mil a season.  I'm on board with him. 

if we can resign Hendo longterm at $6.75 and JJ for $8mill

:)

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Updated to OP with the official observer story.

Posted · Report post

Gerald Henderson received a qualifying offer of $4,531,459.

Posted · Report post

Good moves. I like Mullens fine as a reserve, but he is not worth 4 million. Getting Henderson back is great.

Posted · Report post

The Lakers are going after Mullens lol.

Posted · Report post

I pray to God that the Lakers sign Mullens.

Posted · Report post

Would be a very good signing for the Lakers.  We all laugh at Mullens, but hes still young and has a lot of talent.  He loves shooting the 3s and hates getting mixed in down low, but would be a good fit for the Lakers off the bench. 

Posted · Report post

He's a good fit for D'Antoni but Lakers fans will hate him when he starts shooting more shots per game than Kobe.

Posted · Report post

True but the Lakers have a coach that knows what hes doing and would pull him.  Lakers also have players(Kobe, Nash, Gasol, maybe Howard) that will not allow it.  Im thinking more that if Mullens accepts his role, he would be a valuable piece.

Posted · Report post

He's a good fit for D'Antoni but Lakers fans will hate him when he starts shooting more shots per game than Kobe.

Mullens wasn't a volume shooter for the Bobcats but will be for the Lakers... that makes sense.

Posted · Report post

Mullens wasn't a volume shooter for the Bobcats but will be for the Lakers... that makes sense.

Think again

He averaged 11 shots per game and he wasn't even considered to be one of the teams first three or four options in scoring...

In the month of March, Mullens was averaging 14 shots per game... to put this in comparison; Kobe averaged 17 shots per game in the month of March... that's ridiculous.

Posted · Report post

I still have bad memories of him trying to shoot 5-6 long 3 pointers a game.

Posted · Report post

I still have bad memories of him trying to shoot 5-6 long 3 pointers a game.

When I close my eyes this is all I see.  Bricks falling from 3pt line and no one there to get a rebound, because well, our big is at the 3 point line lol.  

Oh and the sweet dunk vs Portland.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Why would the Lakers want Mullens when they just drafted Ryan Kelly from Duke, aren't they like the same player?

Posted · Report post

It is sad bc Mullens has rare ability at his size. He has a good shot(not to jack up 4 3's a game good) but needs to have a good coach and system to calm him down.

Part of the problem playing on a struggling team like the Bobcats is it is hard to make a role player stay in a role when they think it is an opportunity to freelance being a jumpshooting big. If Mullens had disclipline he would put up some great numbers but he has to have disclipline.

From what I understood he got a sort of greenlight last season and that was not good for anyone except the other team.

Posted · Report post

The last straw for me was when he went like 6-21 against somebody. I mean seriously I can go 6-21...

Posted · Report post

Why would the Lakers want Mullens when they just drafted Ryan Kelly from Duke, aren't they like the same player?

Kelly will know what he is..Mullens thinks he is Kevin Durant.

Mullens is 10 times the athlete Kelly is however... Both stretch 4's but Mullens has a lot of ability around the basket that he runs from.