#1 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,445 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

Someone fix the link.

This was really cool and fascinating to me.
Be warned its from a time where ****** was a common phrase. .

#2 SZ James

SZ James

herd it on routers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,524 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:45 PM

Lord

Bookmarked

#3 SZ James

SZ James

herd it on routers

• HUDDLER
  • 7,524 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:52 PM

This is great. This sorta reminds me of a similar, more recent experiment. Some researchers gave students, kids, like an "aptitude test". Then the researchers gave their teachers a list of all the students that did well on it, and that they were gifted or whatever. But the list was made up, completely random.

Afterwards teachers reported that the "gifted" children were more attentive, better behaved, and scored higher on tests, which was true. But only because of the placebo effect that had an impact on how the teachers interacted with their students, thus making them perform better.

#4 SZ James

SZ James

herd it on routers

• HUDDLER
  • 7,524 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:01 PM

http://en.wikipedia....Labeling_theory

A good read for people that like psychology/sociology and whatnot

#5 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,445 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:20 PM

This should almost be a mandatory event for young people to teach them equality and resist labels affecting what they are capable of doing.

One of the things I have become more acknowledging of (TBH in part b/c of some posts here) are the REAL social/economic handicaps that affect lots of young people from the moment they are born. Example: The "Black kid born in the gang infested ghetto", the "hispanic kid born to illegals", and even the "TrailTrash white kid" and so on. That said, I am glad to see that my opinion that in many ways programs meant to build people up can in fact hold them back by telling them they aren't as good as the Rich White Kid.

I think the answer, if one is even possible, is to give these folks the help they need to level the playing field, while also making sure the the societal label of "You will never make it out" is thrown away quickly. Everyone has a chance to be what they are meant to be is a good dream, even if it is a pipedream.

I wish I could be more eloquent in how I am saying this...maybe this week when I am on my ADD meds and not busy I can expand better.

/back to studying...

#6 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:20 PM

That was powerful.

I have tried for my entire life to communicate what it is like growing up black in America. I have listened to conversations and just as often participated in conversations where blacks try to explain the racism that exists in America still today. Things like white people are called "people" while blacks are "black people". How things as unnoticed as this are very prevalent even in youth conversations and are demonstrative of the huge social divide in this nation. Not having the psychology background I could never articulate what this wonderful teacher was able to do to that class. Great experiment

#7 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,356 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:59 AM

Cool film.

You wonder how many parents would object to this being done with the kids today?

I think this would not only help minorities, but each kid who felt "less than"

Oh, and on another note, this proves that you cannot trust the "four eyed" people

#8 Raskle

Raskle

Zookeeper

• HUDDLER
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:45 AM

Amazing and brilliant. What I would like to find out is, given that those kids have now grown and are most likely grandparents by now, do they still remember and appreciate the lesson they learned in that classroom, or if they were still indoctrinated in the racist views of their generation. Either way, it was something to make you think, and that's always a good thing.

Nice find Kurb!

#9 SZ James

SZ James

herd it on routers

• HUDDLER
  • 7,524 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:58 AM

"Do you think a blue-eyed father would kick his son?

My dad's blue-eyed, he's never kicked me. Ray's dad is blue-eyed, he's never kicked him. Rex's dad is blue-eyed, he's never kicked him. This is a fact. Blue-eyed people are better than brown-eyed people. "

LOL who does this sound like? :lol:

I'll give you a hint: he won't read this thread

#10 Disinfranchised

Disinfranchised

Disinfranchised

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • LocationStokeridge

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

Yea.  That teacher was one crazy unethical bitch.

Here are some more famous unethical experiments.  These all break the rules now in place.

Tha Stanford prison:

The most interesting for me,

The Milgram.

#11 SZ James

SZ James

herd it on routers

• HUDDLER
  • 7,524 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:58 PM

"How dare you try this cruel experiment out on white children."

#12 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,661 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:45 PM

The Tinderbox Experiment is the harshest one.

#13 venom

venom

oneinfiniteconsciousness

• HUDDLER
  • 7,796 posts
  • LocationPleiades

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

I remember them showing this video to us back when I was in middle school.

#14 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

Yes, people should be shown this video and appreciate how far we have come. Also as a reminder of how idiotic racism is.

#15 KaseKlosed

KaseKlosed

@CMackMost

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:05 AM

And we still have a ways to go....there are the ones running america right now...cant wait for the next generation to fill those positions 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.